Bullet Identification?

I found my first ringed bullet yesterday hunting one of our older parks and I'm trying to put a date on it.   It's hard to find anything older then the 1880s around here although this park is showing some promise with this bullet and my friends 1836 Capped Bust Dime that shocked us last week.  Any help identifying and dating this bullet would be appreciated.   My best guess is that it's about 38 caliber and it weighs 12.46 grams or about 192 grains.  Picked up a couple of Indians, a 16s wheat and a 1908 V Nickel that cleaned up pretty nice along with the bullet. 

Edit: I measured the ringed end and came up with 5/16 one way and a hair under a half inch the other.

Bryan

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Hope you get an answer that tells us where to look (books &/ internet) for ID'ing bullets.  I have one (not a mini-ball) that I found in Santa Cruz mountains in an area that was logged as early as the 1880's.  But for all I know it was deposited there in the late 20th century.  Seems like with all the interest in firearms there ought to be lots of places to find info on historical items, but I've drawn a blank.

I'm amazed at how clean that V-nickel is.  It seems when I pull modern Jeffs (same composition, I think) out of the ground it looks like they've been soaking in acid.  Not just the color, but the overall relief (relative depth of features) is compromised.  I've found clad coins in which the cupro-nickel coating is about gone and what you see (my conclusion) is just the copper core.  I guess it might be something naturally in the soil, or the chemicals (fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides,...) that have been used.

Oh, and that's a good looking (and condition) Indian Head -- can easily read 'LIBERTY' on the headband.

Not all my nickels come out looking that good after a cleaning. (Steel wool on nickels) I get some toasty ones too like you mentioned.  Same with some of my coppers.  The other Indian I found in a different part of this park didn't hold up nearly as well.  It was a different type of soil.

Bryan