Detailed Review Of The Nokta Fors Gold Nugget Detector

Guest Paul (Ca)

Thanks Ray and Steve,

Made another trip up there this week,  No silver coinage but did get some cool relics and such. 

Dirt was so hard have to leave allot of signals in the ground,  Still a fun week though :)

Will enclose a new group shot of both days finds,

103eyi1.jpg

Thanks again,

Paul (Ca)

You might want to keep an eye on the companion version, the Fors CoRe. It has a dedicated salt beach mode.

It's unclear at present exactly what the difference between the two models is.

Rick,

I asked the factory in Turkey this question awhile back and here is their answer:

" The difference is actually in the search modes. 

Gold includes a mode more ideal for gold fields and prospecting (BOOST) and CoRe includes a mode ideal for beach hunting as well (COG – conductive ground)."

Guest Paul (Ca)

Thanks Ray and Bob,

Yes, the find upper left corner is from a scale.  Several years ago found two small scale pans near this area.  That was the first time I hunted this site until just recently went back,  One of the two scale pans may be of the same find?

Thanks again,

Paul (Ca)

Even though I've been assured about good warranty service and no longer concerned about it, I was still concerned about customer service and what happens if we have trouble with a Nokta machine after the warranty has expired.  One of my concerns was that since there is no USA service facility, what happens if a detector should fail after the warranty is expired?   I sent some questions to Turkey and here is the response:

If you have an issue after the warranty we can send you the replacement part at cost …you do not need to buy the whole machine… many parts are easily replaced… if anything goes wrong with the board, we will send a new system box…anything goes wrong with the shaft or coil we will send that part… all customers serviced so far are very happy.

From what I've seen via Google, the Nokta customer service is indeed good and there is no reason for major concern. 

Well honestly there is this. For anyone truly concerned about such things, just do not go there. Get a good machine with service centers in the U.S. The Noktas are good units but so are many others. The gold I find with a Nokta I could find with a dozen other VLF detectors. They are good, but they aren't magic!

Good points, Steve.  In my case I occasionally like to experiment and buy something a little bit new and different.  I like the small innovations such as the vibrating feature.  And, your review was pretty darn positive.   Also, I worked in Turkey on a geothermal power plant project a few years ago and really enjoyed Turkey and the hospitality I was shown so I have some level of bond or affinity with Turkey.  The immediate replies to my questions to the factory in Turkey helps a lot too.

And then there is this.  I don't like to buy fairly expensive items from a website by just pressing the "Add to Cart" button.  I like to talk to a human being, partly to personally confirm the item is actually in stock and will ship promptly and also to try some unskilled price negotiating - you  never know until you ask.   Deciding yesterday to buy a FORS Gold, I called Kellyco.  Got left on hold for an interminable amount of time, listening to the recording over and over and over of how important my call was to them and would be handled by the next available sales representative.

I will admit to having less than extreme patience when put on hold for long periods, this well having long  been poisoned by AT&T, the local power company and other unresponsive organizations.   I just don't like not having a choice of a local dealer, or any other dealers at all and I got tired of the endlessly repeated recording and hung up the phone.   As I recall, Minelab entered the US market with new products and even fairly new and different technology through a dealer network and I don't see why Nokta can't do the same.  So, I'm reconsidering my purchase. Probably just shooting myself in my own foot and I'm sure Nokta will somehow survive without me.  My apologies for adding a negative note to an otherwise very positive thread.

- Bob