Detailed Review Of The Nokta Fors Gold Nugget Detector

You are welcome! This whole issue of non-ferrous items reading as ferrous in highly mineralized ground is so important I wanted to restate it again, but simplified this time.

Almost any ground with iron mineralization will cause non-ferrous items to read as ferrous. Usually it is something that happens right on the edge of detection depth. However, the more iron mineralization, the less depth it takes for the item to flip over to ferrous.

It does not matter how large the item is either. Small non-ferrous items are more prone to reading ferrous but even very large items will flip in very bad ground.

A picture says it all. This is such a well known thing that White's has for a long time shown it on their simplified VDI (Visual Discrimination Indicator) scale. On most White's 1 through 95 indicates non-ferrous, and the negative numbers -1 through -95 indicate ferrous numbers. Notice how ferrous readings as low as -20 could indicate gold. Yet nearly everyone using any discrimination at all will tune out this range to eliminate finding small ferrous trash.

This happens on all VLF detectors that employ discrimination.

post-1-0-94922300-1418441642_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

IMPORTANT UPDATE 3/1/2015 - Nokta is an incredibly responsive company. Shortly after the review in the original post, it was revealed left handed models would be made available on request! Also, the coil scuff covers were upgraded to be thicker and tougher. Finally, the rocker switches were upgraded per the post at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/551-nokta-fors-new-panel-power-switches-headphone-cap-scuff-covers/ This rapid response to issues raised here and elsewhere is flat out amazing to me; I have never seen anything like it from other manufacturers. This reflects very, very well on this company. I have added a note to the original review alerting people to the changes.

Also, the MSRP was just reduced from $999 to $699 with the internet price being discounted to $595. This is flat out an amazing no brainer value in a prospecting VLF detector. The Pro Package with three coils is only $850.

This aggressive price reduction makes this a unit for prime consideration for anyone wanting a good VLF prospecting metal detector. I still have mine and consider it one of the best I have ever used.