Detailed Review Of The Nokta Fors Gold Nugget Detector

<snip>

A good review does not mean the FORS Gold is the be all and end all of VLF prospecting detectors. Each company makes a similar unit. For overall performance and feel, the Fisher F75 is about the closest mainstream unit and similarly priced. And guess what - the F75 uses four AA batteries.

Steve, a good review from you means that it belongs on my new detector short list.  About detectors, I think you've said that knowing your machine, no matter what it is, is the most important part of successful detecting.  The most successful detectorist I know  is a fellow here in Reno who recently found his 100th gold coin.  Not a cache of many coins, but one by one over a period of years.  His detector is a 1980's Teknetics.

Thanks for yours and AZViper's comments on the AA batteries, I can cross that concern off my list.

- Bob

• Like 1

Thanks for the reviews!

I don't live in a gold region, I have to travel 4 to 5 hours just to get close, but I do live very close to resort beaches and detect them when I get a chance.

That being said I would be interested to know how the Fors Gold does on coins and mainly jewelry, especially on small gold chains, small gold earrings/parts, etc., most detectors have trouble with small gold chains as we all know.

If some of you have the chance to test the Fors Gold on such items it would be appreciated.

Guest Paul (Ca)

Here are the first relic finds with the Fors Gold,  Along with some Deus finds both fared about the same finds wise.   

Let me share something with you about the area these finds came from, Will share little for now and hopefully in the future can share more with permission from the owner. Went up into Gold County yesterday at an old site had located 5-6 years ago,  At the time only sampled the ground recovering a few targets then pressed onto another area. At the time wasn't sure but thought this particular site was an early 1860's store out in the middle of nowhere based from research so with this passed this information onto the property owner with intentions of going back to hopefully locate an historical settlement on his 1000 acre property.  With new career, classes and other priorities were just too overwhelming so parked this site for the future and to go back and hopefully find the historical settlement.

Other than this, Will share little on the historical site but will note if this is indeed the lost settlement it will be a major historical find.  Hopefully, Can get back there this week spend more time at this particular site and get the owner involved.  Got my fingers crossed, All pieces of puzzle are showing this to be that historical settlement. 

Both the Fors Gold and Deus fared extremely well as relic machines, Both were equal of recovering finds.  Both handled the ground well no issues what so ever,  Great depth super separation.  The only area the Deus shined more so than the Fors Gold was target ID, The Deus has a couple of features that enhance ID and with this dug less ferrous.  Otherwise, Both great machines both a joy to use.

Hope the pic shows, One of the finds is an old padlock, got a make after rubbing the key switch (Davenport Mallory & Co) 1861-1865 era.  This particular lock was made during the civil war, Lot's of buttons a few from the 1850-60 era,  Couple of old buckles, two powder flask tops and a few other finds.  No coins but that's ok detecting old dirt is a treat especially from a historical settlement.

Hope the pic shows,

Paul

mtawbr.jpg

Nice finds.  Thanks for posting them.  Just a thought, maybe the slight target ID advantage of the Deus might be equalized by the FORS CoRe model.  

Someone needs to buy both the CoRe and the Gold so we can have a head to head comparison.  Ha!

Great going Paul!

Bob, the CoRe has the same target information as the Gold. You get a VDI number, that is it. The detectors are practically identical.

I did add a new page on my website for the Nokta FORS Gold and have added it and the XP DEUS to my Nugget Detector Guide.

Guest Paul (Ca)

Thanks Bob and Steve,

That would be a great idea, Run both side by side and as Steve mentions both are practically identical or as least should be.

I may send my off to Keith Southern to compare my Fors Gold with his CoRe,  Or we may swap for a short spell.

Want to add I may have jumped the gun with my statement of the Fors Gold having less target information,  Tomorrow will see going to remove the handle protective cover and hunt without it.  After looking back at the other days relic hunt,  The clear plastic cover did sort of block the visual ID due to the glare from the sun.  Have high hopes this is what happened in which created poor visual ID of not showing numbers bunching around, That's is needed as be an indicator to dig less iron with some signals causing ID number to  bounce from iron range to positive this can be a tool for us to determine if the signal is worth digging.  

Steve, Did lower Iron mask down some and compared it with weak signals.  Didn't help much but that doesn't mean it is beneficial in which I feel it is,  What it did when dropping down to 2 & 1 was hearing more ground so that was an indicator it does work.  So mainly left between 6 and 10 and it operated well, The short hunt I had which was 3 hours apiece with the Fors Gold and Deus was enough for me to see the Fors Gold as a serious detector, And this was for relic hunting. 

I'm sure the deus would do well for nugget hunting, But if I had a choice would go for the Fors Gold on future gold nugget hunts because it just feels like the right machine for this type of purpose.

Going out tomorrow to the same site,  Long drive but will be well worth the time to hunt old ground up in gold country.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info on iron mask. I will experiment with it next time out.

I used the control box cover but not the handle cover. I find the numbers to act just like those on my Gold Bug Pro and so find the handle display very useful in General all metal mode.

The Nokta is my kind of machine for nugget detecting. The DEUS, as you note, can find gold. But it is like taking a French made sports car to a 4WD outing. Just not really made for nugget hunting.