Hit the dirt with Clark (aka 1515Art) for a late morning hunt. Dirt is like concrete the first 3 inches. Was scared I was going to break my Apex a few times. We had a good hunt in a pounded out spot but there were still lots of targets. Best of the day was this 1916 California License plate bear tag. They are made of lead and used to be riveted to the porcelin license plate back in the day.   Kinda cool relic. Clark it was fun to get out and pound dirt with you!  

Also are a few more photos of some other goodies dug over the past month or so. If anyone knows what caliber the big bullet is please feel free to advise. Happy Hunting out there!

strick

20170430_170222.jpg

20170425_074023.jpg

20170224_185610.jpg

20170407_124935.jpg

• Like 5

Those are some great finds.

Do you have a caliper to measure the diameter of the bullet? That will give you the caliber.

That and a scale can give you what you need to know, with the weight info it may even narrow it down to the rifle type.

Bullet weight is measured in grains by the way.

• Like 2

Found out it's a .45-70 sharps. T net is pretty good about getting stuff identified rather quickly. Thanks for looking!

strick

• Like 1

That's cool that it's a vehicle reg tag, I'll bet those are in pretty high demand with the antique car crowd. original lead tags have to be scarce and anybody doing the show route would want to sport an original tag on their show car.

Lots of targets is an understatement, extreamly unlikely you'd ever hear the words "hunted out" uttered there unless as a good natured barb. That was a blast the area is so big and I just wanted to be everywhere at once...took me an hour to convince my feet to settle down and wait for my coil. Found some cool stuff, can't wait to try the new elipitical there as I'm sure a lot of small targets were being masked swinging the 11" on the Deus. 

Thanks for the great hunt Chuck and next time I'm gonna bring the big pick that concrete is only going to get harder in the summer sun.

clark

• Like 1