I got into prospecting kinda hot and heavy. I like to build all my own equipment mainly cause I can at a much lower cost and have a better product than whats being sold commercially. I know this forum is mainly geared towards the prospector swinging a metal detector, if Steve does not mind I would like to post the how to build the Viper-Vac here in these forums. I also built this trommel and many other tools I use.

post-15-0-68458600-1413198044_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-54107900-1413198245_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Actually I would hate this becoming a detecting only forum. I am VERY impressed with the build quality of your home made equipment. Like you say, better than the commercial stuff. Which in the small scale mining world is often home made!

Please post links to any build threads elsewhere. We would love to see them.

I need to get back to posting some dredging threads myself plus other stuff. Thanks for posting!

Been interested in building a vac set up myself for a while. Interested in seeing your posts here at DP.

Hi Chris, here is the link as I don't want to load a bunch of photos and waste Steve's server space. If you have questions please post them here at DP. Keith

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/drywashing/331022-build-your-own-vacuum-blower.html

Been interested in building a vac set up myself for a while.

I built this one for $45. There's all kinds of ways and methods to build one. AZViper definitely makes it easy with his ready-to-go kit if you want to do it yourself. I was very tempted to buy his components and build mine own, but found an old shop vac on CL for $10 and a leaf blower for $20, so I went that route. Works great! His Trommel, Miller Table, and Blue Bowl set-up is a work of art. Very fine craftsmanship if I do say so myself… 

goldvac.jpg

goldvac1.jpg

The Viper-Vac was a work in process until the Viper-Vac arrive in the state its in today. The entire project was to build a better gas vac that currently on the market today. While all other Vac's on the market were using 5 gallon buckets with push on lids I knew that there was a better method. I choose to use a 1/4 turn locking sealing lid using a 6 gallon bucket. The vac's using five gallon buckets were limited to the amount of dirt and rock that could be vacuumed up before the dirt reach the inlet and suction was lost. With the 6 gallon bucket the vacuum inlet was moved to a higher point on the bucket allowing the nearly twice amount dirt and rock before clean out.

The concept of the Viper-Vac was to have the most suction power by having a sealed system out to the end of the hose. Using a Neoprene Grommet and the machined elbow the placement of the inlet was place as I high on the bucket without any fear of pulling dirt into the blower intake. The 6 gallon bucket being slightly taller allowed room for the hose, crevice tools, hand tools, etc. to be stored in the bucket with the blower head attached. The entire system can be strapped to a pack frame where the prospector can put some distance between his or her vehicle into the back country and have a powerful tool. With the 1/4 turn lid the prospector can carry the Viper-Vac using the handles on the Echo blower even with a full bucket of 40 pounds of rock and dirt and not worry that the lid will pop off. I only use the Echo PB-255 gas blower due to the simplicity of how the blower mounts to the lid. The Echo PB-251 is the same blower with the same three mounting screws. There is no difference other than its been discontinued but can be found on CL or eBay.

In the second photo I have made a rubber seal that fits over the intake of the Echo blower. This seal sits into the recess area of the bulkhead adding to a sealed system. The fourth photo shows the inside of the lid with the stock finger guard in place. Using stainless steel machine screws and lock nuts. The lid is reinforced with 5/16" Nylon on both side of the lid.

Link to how to build the Viper-Vac - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/drywashing/331022-build-your-own-vacuum-blower.html

post-15-0-86740300-1413243977_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-40512100-1413244231_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-70157300-1413244401_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-89001700-1413244667_thumb.png

This photo shows the blower removed from the bucket. Bottom line you have a vac, a blower to be used for drywashing, and a blower for around the house.

post-15-0-94549000-1413245281_thumb.png

post-15-0-21167400-1413245501_thumb.jpg