Spring Has Arrived?

The high deserts of Southern California, Nevada and Arizona have been great if you like 100 degree plus days!  If you can find a day under 90 then you detect on it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Finally finished up with the milling chores, attempting to get back up into the detecting/prospecting saddle. Made a short scouting run out to a local ridge in the foothills; found some old placer workings, stacked rock and a depression era cabin site. While crawling out through the brush I came across a series of prospecting holes. Followed them up slope to a worked out surface quartz pocket.

According to "The Tertiary Gravels of the Sierra Nevada of California" 1911 by W. Lindgren a portion of a tertiary eocene river channel cuts across this ridge under all the brush.

For you that are interested in "quartz pocket mines and float" apparently the extrusive "andesite"  is the volcanic equivalent of the intrusive" diorite".  From my understanding in the southern mother lode the pocket deposits were associated with diorite dikes;  in the Siskiyou Mountains of Northern California and Southern Oregon pocket deposits were associated with andesite dikes.  Go figure...

Anyway I am dropping the chainsaw mill for some pruning shears and headed back into the brush to attempt to change the "were into an are". Been getting a little taste of winter; managed to mill enough downed "fir" to cover the water tank then some.

wtrtk.jpg

• Like 2