Under 4 Pound, Under $2000 Gbpi Challenge

Hard for me to believe, but since I started this thread in 2017, we have actually gone backwards. The QED has proven to be a false lead, with so many problems come to light I can no longer recommend the unit at all. White’s the company is now gone, and TDI with it. The GPX 6000 does much better on ergonomics, really nice as far as weight and balance, but is priced so high as to not come close to the goals stated in this thread. Nokta/Makro is so focused on multi that PI has all but been forgotten. The Fisher Impulse Gold shows the greatest promise, but it’s stuck in development hell, and nobody seems sure it will ever see the light of day. So here we are, all these years later, and the over 7 lb Garrett ATX is the only ground balancing PI that comes close to hitting the price goal, though the weight is as far off as it can be. The goal on this thread was under 4 kb, under $2000 GBPI. And here are the options today:

Garrett ATX 6.9 lbs $2120

Minelab GPX 6000 4.6 lbs $5999

You can have the price, or get close on the weight, but you can’t have both. :mellow:

garrett-atx-waterproof-pulse-induction-metal-detector.jpg
Garrett ATX

minelab-gpx-6000-gold-nugget-detector.jpg

Minelab GPX 6000

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

So how about a GPX4000 (limited feature set) style machine in a high impact lightweight plastic case, carbon fibre shaft, a small lithium battery built in, but still with the 5-pin socket if you want to plug in an external battery, and a nice lightweight coil in the 6000 11" coil housing. If priced right would it sell? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

So how about a GPX4000 (limited feature set) style machine in a high impact lightweight plastic case, carbon fibre shaft, a small lithium battery built in, but still with the 5-pin socket if you want to plug in an external battery, and a nice lightweight coil in the 6000 11" coil housing. If priced right would it sell? 

The only detector I am actively in the market for is a PI that comes as close to my 4 lb $2000 machine as possible, while being more powerful than a TDI. Fisher Impulse Gold, Garrett LTX, Nokta/Makro Fable (long rumored PI), or a properly packaged GPX 4000/4500/4800/5000 variant are all welcome at the table. :smile: 

A GPX 5000 with built in battery, speaker, but closer to 4 lbs, get rid of LCD menu and stripped to only button/switch controls like GP 3500 would be great. We would have to argue over a few of the controls in light of later GPX functions, but a simplified control access with fewer options would be preferable. Like the soil (timing) switch, if I could pick three from the 5000, it would be Sharp, Fine Gold, and Salt to replace Normal, Sensitive, and Salt. Between the Soil and Boost switches a great set of timings could be offered. Going full time tracking would eliminate a couple switches, but leaving it as is might win fans also. If room was needed for a speaker though, the buttons and switches could be consolidated to half, all on front panel, with just speaker and power/volume control on rear panel. And charging port for built in battery.

Right now the 4000/4500/4800/5000 series is the best, most stable, most versatile alternative to the GPX 6000/GPZ7000, and they better handle hot rocks and ground that bother these newer models. I’d get a GPX 5000 again in a heartbeat, were it not for my not wanting to go back to the harness and external battery. So yeah, hook me up Nenad! :smile:

DB5219D8-7341-4003-86E8-4E75BF29B660.jpegBBC29901-3909-474C-8B4E-4CBEFAD36F1B.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

I would like it even better if it was a GPX 5000 in the same configuration. 

I managed to get my GPX 5000 down to 6 lbs with Doc's amp/small battery/carbon fiber shaft combination along with lighter coils that weigh 800 grams or less and wireless headphones. I can almost manage it without a bungee for most of the day. 5 lbs (ditch the metal housing and heavy arm cuff)........add a grip mounted small display with control buttons (not steel toggles).........4 lbs would really be great.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I would like it even better if it was a GPX 5000 in the same configuration. 

I managed to get my GPX 5000 down to 6 lbs with Doc's amp/small battery/carbon fiber shaft combination along with lighter coils that weigh 800 grams or less and wireless headphones. I can almost manage it without a bungee for most of the day. 5 lbs (ditch the metal housing and heavy arm cuff)........4 lbs would really be great.

4 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

We posted same time, same thought Jeff :smile:

Yep, you and Nenad usually gets my feeble mind into some kind of forward gear. 

A GPX 4000/4500/5000 in the GPX 6000/CTX3030 type form factor that still used all of the current 5 pin coils...........that would cost over $2000 US for sure.

I would pay $3999 US for that detector in a heart beat, however.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

A GPX 4000/4500/5000 in the GPX 6000/CTX3030 type form factor that still used all of the current 5 pin coils...........that would cost over $2000 US for sure.

I would pay $3999 US for that detector in a heart beat, however.

I might also, a GPX 5000 in a CTX body was my original thought back in 2012, that ended up being the GPZ instead. But I’m going to keep on beating the drum for a reasonably priced step up from a great VLF. I’m saying Equinox 800 at $949, what’s the reasonable spread to step up to a PI? I admit $2000 is a tough bar to hurdle, but have to set a goal, right? $2500 maybe, or even $2999. I simply think a lot of people are priced out of the PI market and would like to see that change. Frankly, I’ll pay top dollar for whatever I want, but I’m a huge advocate for more power at lower prices. I rebel at these sky high price tags, if not for me, then some guy with a tight budget who can only dream of spending that kind of money on a detector.

If Minelab does not fill the gap, somebody will. It’s only a matter of time. Really a shame about QED, it has the ingredients, just failing in execution. If Nokta/Makro has nothing better going, they should buy it, and build it right. If nothing else, once NM gets the multi put to bed, a PI will be the next obvious step. But I’ve not given up yet even on Fisher or Garrett, as they both need something in this category also.

• Like 4

The QED for people outside Australia is definitely a risk. Mine worked fine for what it could do which is relic hunting and larger 1 gram and up gold prospecting in moderate soil. Ground balancing the QED in really bad dirt is iffy and everything depends on getting it properly balanced of course, just like a TDI, in bad dirt.

I think Nokta Makro can do better than the QED........ just take a GP3500 and clone it with all of the after market mods included and put it into a FORS or Impact form factor housing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I admit $2000 is a tough bar to hurdle, but have to set a goal, right?

Please don't let the manufacturers off the hook, Steve.  You proved that the Garrett ATX could be made light, and I suspect Garrett could make money selling those (similarly rehoused) at $2k.  How much does that laden military/waterproof housing cost them?  Well, maybe that cost is already absorbed in the R&D, not so much in the manufacturing.  But, still, they may well have a lot of margin built into the price already.  (Yes, I know, you've talked yourself hoarse trying to convince them, getting crickets in response.)

ML has made it clear that without competition they aren't under pressure to make a low cost unit so they will sit back and rake in the profits.  I realize that could change if they see (more) profit in a lightweight, affordable unit.  They're halfway there already with the GPX6000.  A lighter and more versatile (meaning easily swappable coils) SDC2300??

Competition over a $2k, lightweight PI -- now that would be nice, but we seem to spend a lot of our posting time wishing, hoping, and subsequently being disappointed....  Still, it's likely going to take competition.  Don't know about Nokta/Makro or First Texas, but it seems like Garrett is already there.  Maybe the biggest head-scratcher in the metal detecting world that 5+ years have gone by and they haven't acted.

• Like 1