Under 4 Pound, Under $2000 Gbpi Challenge

Years ago, when I first started looking at getting into metal detecting, I was into gold panning and dreamed of nugget hunting with a detector. Most gold machines that I could find were pricey and Minelab was the pinnacle of gold machines with astronomical prices, so I could only dream. I later got a Fisher Gold Bug 2 which I still have, but life got in the way of detecting until some years later. When I got back into the hobby, the Equinox was coming out and I was "retiring", so it was doable and I'm very happy with that machine. I have since looked at PI machines as the next level, but $6K for a PI is back in dreamland for me. Of course I'm only a hobbyist so I get it, but it would be nice if hobbyists could get in the PI game for under $2K, and with the way the economy is going, even $2K is probably not going to be realistic for many detectorists.

• Like 4

I've got my hopes pinned on Nokta and Garrett, Garrett could do it easiest as they have a detector they can just modify and possibly improve.  Nokta really do put the effort in and are more than capable of doing it, although their tough build quality isn't really compatible with light machines, especially when trying to turn a very heavy machine into a light one.  

A modern GPX 5000 would be awesome, I'd be super happy with a 5000 in a CTX package, you can get rid of a lot of switches, buttons and knobs by having a few push buttons and a screen so they could keep the detector the same and just modernize the hardware to shrink it down.  The thing is, it won't happen, they have no need to do that as they can continue to sell the current 5000 no problems it's got such a good reputation as a toughly built solid performing deep detector with a massive selection of coils and I fear if they did do it, bye bye aftermarket coils, hello 3 new Minelab GPX 5000 v2 coils and in that case, I'd stick to my existing 4500 and 5000. 

I still haven't worked out if I prefer my 4500 or 5000, the more ratty old model 4500 just seems to have an edge but it might be in my head.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I still haven't worked out if I prefer my 4500 or 5000, the more ratty old model 4500 just seems to have an edge but it might be in my head.

The big difference is when you get into an area with hot rocks a GPX 4500 just can't handle, and a GPX 5000 Fine Gold setting just makes them go away. If it were not for those rocks, and that one setting, a 4500 would do me fine. If you don't have them where you hunt, you'd never know. Unfortunately, it's my biggest problems with both the GPZ 7000 and GPX 6000, and why I'm still looking for that "other PI." Luckily I can just hunt other places rather than get a GPX 5000 or an ATX, both of which solve the problem. I just want a GPX 5000 or ATX in a nice package.... too much to ask?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wonder how long the GPX 5000 is going to stay in the lineup. It's been out what 10 years now I'm guessing. I hope if they do discontinue it that it gets replaces with something we can still use for beach and relic hunting. Be nice to see it go in a GPX 6000 housing and still have all the timings of the 5000 with iron disc. I know the market is relatively small for beach and relic use but I sure would hate to see it disappear. There are places I hunt that taking anything but a GPX is a waste of time.

• Like 3

With the 4500 going away, the GPX 5000 and SDC 2300 are realistically the only "low cost" high power alternatives available right now, and the GPX 5000 won't go away unless people stop buying it. It really is the machine of choice for beach and relic hunting, so enjoys a larger market than the other Minelab PI detectors.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The big difference is when you get into an area with hot rocks a GPX 4500 just can't handle, and a GPX 5000 Fine Gold setting just makes them go away. If it were not for those rocks, and that one setting, a 4500 would do me fine. If you don't have them where you hunt, you'd never know. Unfortunately, it's my biggest problems with both the GPZ 7000 and GPX 6000, and why I'm still looking for that "other PI." Luckily I can just hunt other places rather than get a GPX 5000 or an ATX, both of which solve the problem. I just want a GPX 5000 or ATX in a nice package.... too much to ask?

Really? The 4500 picks them up in Enhance where Fine Gold doesn't? 

18 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

Really? The 4500 picks them up in Enhance where Fine Gold doesn't? 

Can’t swear to that, but for me Fine Gold was the ultimate hot rock killer, while still doing well on most gold. Was the SDC not based in the Fine Gold timing for that reason? But hey, I’m not picky, give us a GPX 4000/4500/4800/5000 in a CTX box (for beach use), I’ll buy one. :smile:

According to the little chart Fine Gold should be better than enhance on small nuggets?  And Enhance was enhanced on the 5000 and I believe later 4500's too? 😛 I'm sure you guys are all over these things but it's interesting and new to me.

13034664_finegoldchart-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.thumb.jpg.292e4bbf6073bd2d7ac3c41a74ecfec9.jpg

I would be hoping if they did make a new model GPX in a modern lighter housing like the CTX or GPX 6000 housing they'd keep all the timings anyway.

Another reason why I don't think Minelab would ever do the $2000 challenge is it would eat into the sales of the more expensive machines, or at least make them seem very expensive by comparison.  A bit like the Equinox did to the CTX.  Nokta has said openly they would be taking on a PI detector soon, although that was some time ago and nothing since, at least it's something.  Fisher and their Impulse Gold.... a possibility too.  Garrett and the ATX replacement, it would be nice. 

The first one to market will reap the rewards and get the most sales.  I in a way hope it's Nokta as I want to see what they'd do.

• Like 3

Fine Gold was a little "faster" than Enhance, so seems to have a small improvement on thin pieces on edge, and some reefy gold. On solid waterworn gold I've never seen any real difference, and sometimes Enhance can even be better, which is why it was left as an option in the 5000. 

Re hotrocks, Enhance should be slightly less reactive to the majority of them. I know the more sensitive Flat wind coils run better in Enhance than Fine Gold in bad ground. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Simon, when people post things like that out of the instruction manual, it gives me weird deja vu reading it, as myself and Ian Aitken wrote a lot of the content for them, with the 5000 manual being about the last one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1