GPZ 7000 Wish List

ok, rebooting this thread to modify my biggest wish for GPZ improvements.  Minelab is great at finding ways around salt.  My new #1 wish is for the GPZ to balance out those Tertiary Basalts that make up some great gold areas of the western US.  Kills me that I paid so much for a detector and my friends ATX can still detect these areas and I can't without playing rock soccer all day long.  Come on Minelab!!! :)

• Like 2

I believe the GPZ is currently the best PI gold detector, but i do have two complaints.

1) Fix the screen so we can see it!

2) Fix the Xchange software, so its compatible with the latest update!   My detector will not allow me to add anymore find points, way points, or geo hunts!

I want to be able to use all the features of the machine, not just some!

Brian.

2 hours ago, Nevada Brian said:

2) Fix the Xchange software, so its compatible with the latest update!   My detector will not allow me to add anymore find points, way points, or geo hunts!

It is irritating to have Minelab break our functionality in one way to gain some another way. I have gone back to using the prior software version to retain my onscreen tracking. Minelab comes up with great ideas like the GPS system but then something like this sends a message to users intended or not that Minelab considers it a low priority thing.

Has anyone tried the 'fix' of going back to the old software to do the xchange and then going to the new software for the settings?  When I upgraded I was surprised to see all of my previous find and waypoints there.  They were not erased.  Since that time I have had the screen replaced by Minelab because of the pixel problem so all of my points were gone.

As to the screen problem, most of my problem was solved by placing a non-glare, phone-type screen protector on and I can see it most of the day with a little bit of an angle tilt but how often do you need to look?  This isn't a 3030 screen where you can see the target.  I guess you look a lot if you are using the GPS and doing an electronic grid.  This is a hear it machine.  If you can't hear it you are not going to find it.

Mitchel

The problem is probably a database field mismatch. I think the new firmware is saving settings info that includes the new settings into the data on the detector. If you load the old firmware the old software does not know how to access the new data field. Bottom line running the new firmware and saving find points etc. will get you nowhere until a new version of XChange comes out that can access it.

13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The problem is probably a database field mismatch. I think the new firmware is saving settings info that includes the new settings into the data on the detector. If you load the old firmware the old software does not know how to access the new data field. Bottom line running the new firmware and saving find points etc. will get you nowhere until a new version of XChange comes out that can access it.

Steve, are you saying if I load the previous version, i still wont be able to use the Xchange software, or did i read it wrong?  

Brian

On 9/26/2017 at 10:28 AM, Nevada Brian said:

I believe the GPZ is currently the best PI gold detector, but i do have two complaints.

1) Fix the screen so we can see it!

I want to be able to use all the features of the machine, not just some!

Brian.

Brian, glad you have become a believer in the GPZ! I was out on Sunday and finally peeled the screen cover off....WOW, its literally a night and day difference! Completely visible in sunlight.

We still have to do some detecting together next time im up there! 

Chris

• Like 1

Chris,

You took the protection supplied by Minelab off?  What is there ... glass?

Could you put an anti-glare scratch saver on that?  

I've noticed when I use polarized sunglasses that it is not always as visible as I would like.  It is worse when a layer of dust obscures the view. 

Mitchel

If you do not load the latest version of the firmware everything works fine. If you load the latest firmware, the unit will save tracks and findpoints just fine, but it will not be able to download any of it to XChange. Then if you "downgrade" the firmware back to the old version, in hopes you can then load it into XChange, it will all be wiped out. This per Dave's comment...

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/3858-gpz-7000-software-update-2-ground-smoothing-semi-auto-ground-balance/?do=findComment&comment=42725

I am going to test this myself today and will post my results later.

• Thanks 1