On 9/6/2017 at 1:52 PM, Deft Tones said:

Then tell me about those V3i secrets. :cool: :biggrin:

If I told you I would probably get fired. Honestly!

• Like 1

I do not want that. I was just ribbing you.

You do good work for Whites. Keep it up! You deserve a bonus.:smile:

• Like 1

I will second that and want Tom to know that his presence from time to time is really appreciated! 

• Like 2

There is so much power under the hood of the V3i that is still untapped.....

Maybe someday White's will open it up a bit more for us.

• Like 1

I also appreciate tboykin's honesty. I already have a Sampson but I haven't used it much yet. I'm over 6' so the Whites offering may be just up my alley.

Edited by Hibby
Spelling corrections

5 hours ago, Johnnysalami1957 said:

As a lifetime Whites fan, If Whites don't come up with something new and exciting they are gonna be using that shovel to bury themselves. 

JS, Sad to say, but I think your right.

Be nice guys - this is a White's forum. I am sure though you are just voicing what many White's fans would like to see - a new flagship model. We all want them to succeed, and nothing wrong with that! :smile:

If there is more to say on all that however the best place is the Metal Detector Advice & Comparisons forum - that is more the place for "gloves off" type commentary. The advice can be for manufacturers as well as detector users!

• Like 1

On 5/28/2017 at 4:31 PM, GB_Amateur said:

Ok, I'll speak up about the elephant in the room.  This looks a lot like the Lesche Sampson.

I like White's a lot.  But I hold everyone to a high standard.  What's up with the similarities?

It's a shovel dude, ahh....yeah it's a shovel :rolleyes:

I have the Lesche Sampson, got it on amazon for $50 shipped when it was on sale last year and aside from a pinpointer, it's the best detector accessory I've bought.  Hard to beat that price BUT I like the longer handle on the White's shovel, and I think the head is 7 1/2" long x 4" wide on the Lesche Sampson vs 6" Wide, 7.5" Long on the White's.  Like the additional width on the head and longer handle.....don't like the bright orange color, but nothing a can of black or grey Rustoleum couldn't fix.

Oh and that's the best review ever :wink:

I took a chance on the hawg....and have not regretted it.  Great shovel!  Cuts into the ground like a hot knife in butter. Super clean plugs.

Best investment I've made since the Garrett Carrot.

Like Cal_Cobra, I wasn't at all thrilled with the color. Too attention-grabbing. Took care of that though with a rattle-can of olive-gray Rustoleum paint.

Great shovel, decent price.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By foreverteachable
      For the longest time since I purchased my first metal detector in 1997 I've been either using my pockets or those cheap pouches that come when you buy a new metal detector. Today I bought a couple $10 pouches and used my wading belt for fly fishing. A tool belt will probably work just as good but I have my tool belt full of all the stuff that I need and I didn't feel like emptying them out 🙂 I also bought a dandelion tool to help me dig around some of those deep targets and not ruin them. I also put a folding saw on order with a 7-inch blade because sometimes you run into a root. It is tough when you know it's a really good find and can't get to it or worse yet, put a gash in an 1875 IH that was in mint shape. Believe it or not I've had to walk away not having the proper tools and not made it back. I also put some extra dry paper towels in a plastic bag and paper towels soaked with vegetable oil in another bag the preserve relics. I have an old retainer case for good finds and also a couple Airborne containers for coins. You can separate the coins with bits of paper towel if you want. It would be cool to see what other people use for their detecting tools. I think I'm only missing a spray bottle of distilled water. Feel free to post pics or share what works for you.

• By Andy2640
      Apologies if im posting a lot, but im really into this hobby. 
      My finds arent stunning by any means, but it does show that this machine is very capable!  Its only a matter of time before the treasure is found, hehehehehe.
      Cheers Peeps!
      Edit: You may think this is a lot of finds for the amount of time ive been hitting it, but kindly take note, i was informed one location was the spot of an old wishing well.  LOL.
      Andy

• By ☠ Cipher
      Here's another, a second interesting product I've run into recently. This one has a bit of a giggle factor for me, but I could be wrong. See what you think.

• By Steve Herschbach
      Do you use a plastic scoop or cup to separate gold nuggets from that pile of dirt while metal detecting?

Good use of a plastic scoop is critical as these tiny nuggets can be very hard to find. I use the "divide and conquer" method. Scoop up the material that has the nugget in it. Give the scoop a good shake to get the nugget into the bottom of the scoop. If you have a couple inches of dirt in the scoop and the nugget is on top, you may not be able to detect it when you run the scoop over the coil. I prefer to do this with the bottom of the coil turned upright so I can get the scoop right over that hot spot in the middle of the coil. If I confirm the nugget is in the scoop, I dump half in my hand and check again. If it is still in the scoop, I place the material in my hand on the ground where I can check it again later. If the scoop no longer beeps, the nugget is in my hand, in which case I discard the material in the scoop. I just split and check until I'm down to a bit of material, which in the case of these little mud covered nuggets sometimes is just a few little pieces of dirt which have to be check one at a time to find which one has gold in it.
      Once you get good at this it goes real fast, but care must be taken to not get a nugget in the scoop only to discard it. That is why you put all the dirt in a place where you can check it again when you are done. Sometimes you can get more than one nugget in the scoop at once. Another option is to simply put all targets in a pan and pan it all later. But since I'm following the gold I want to know just where each nugget came from so I prefer to locate them as I find them.
    • By 57buick
      Been using this shovel by Radius Garden called the Root Slayer and it is amazing. sharp V cut tip to cut through roots and the serrated edges it quickly digs perfect large plugs where ever I can use a full size shovel. i also love the round handle it is big and easy to grip and comfortable.
      Radius Garden just release this matching hand trowel that I just got this week and it has been equally great.

• By Steve Herschbach
      I made a trip up to Tahoe for a little wading with the Equinox. No special finds to report, just coins and trash.
      However, I was again reminded about how hot Equinox is on low conductors. Not that it is unique in this respect, just a fact. In saltwater you automatically get rid of the tiniest targets because they get tuned out with the salt. In freshwater though it is as tiny as you want to chase.
      I am in general agreement with those that think chasing the tiny stuff is a bit of a time waster. It's usually tiny aluminum stuff, especially when you consider that heavy stuff will sink but aluminum likes to stay near surface. The real problem however is not the quantity of this stuff, but the difficulty in recovering it. Usually I think a person is better off continuing to look for larger, heavier rings, one of which weighs more than a handful of tiny stuff.
      That said, hunting micro jewelry intrigues me if I am in the mood.
      Right now if in deeper water and wading about all I can do is try and spot the item visually, then try and balance it on the front edge of my scoop where there are no holes. I have done this but it takes real care.

Scoop with smaller slots in rear - Xtreme Scoop X2
      So I was looking for a scoop with smaller holes up front to act as a tiny object sifter. Some have smaller holes to the rear like the one above, but the tiny item has to get past the larger holes to get to the rear. That would work but based on how I have been doing it so far I was interested in the holes being on the front edge.
      Turns out this is a hard ask but I did find this on eBay...

I am tempted to get one to try, but these $200 scoops for something I do rarely and when I have a few scoops already is a bit much so I will think it over.
      And ask what you all think also! 
      I think the best bet really is to go mask and snorkel and do the hand wave blast it out routine but the water is a bit chilly for that yet.