Madhatter;

I use a 1.2 GRAIN nugglet for testing...the signal will change with the setting and in really tough conditions it may not be a great signal. Of course this is a surface test and out of the ground...it is a good indication of correct setting for me.

You may not be going over any tiny bits...

I assume you are in Oz...but, which part?

fred

Madhatter, I think everyone has given great advice.  I also prefer the ferrite and the figure 8ish pattern.  My advice on the small gold, which is mostly what I am likely to get here in the states (Arizona) is:

1)  go very slow.  (maybe 4 seconds minimum for each direction of swing)   With small gold, especially, it is not a race.  It takes a lot of time to cover ground, but you'll happy you took your time

2)  try not to use Difficult Ground type if at all possible.  This will greatly decrease depth.  Normal will be best.  Slow movement will assist with this.

3)  Experiment using a sample piece of gold to determine what settings YOU like.  For example, I have a buddy that runs the machine silent (threshold = 6).   This will narrow down the signal to almost a pinpointing mode.  And it will let you run higher sensitivities.  Me, I prefer to hear the threshold but I will turn down the sensitivity (down to 3) so my threshold is silky smooth.  Any ripple or deviation is likely a nugget.  We both get small gold at least down to .03g. 

Good luck!!

• Like 4

Thanks all. :biggrin:

I really appreciate everyone's input here!!

I am confident now that i know what to do in field regarding adjusting and setting up my machine :cool:

I usually run in "normal" "high Yield" when starting in a new area, maybe your right I haven't walked over smaller pieces yet but i honestly doubt that.

I think its more to do with me and getting my "ears in tune" to faint signals. :blink:

I will put all this into practise this weekend!!!

And yes Fred,

I am in Australia :biggrin: my hunting grounds are in Victoria's World Famous, "Golden Triangle"

Just one more thing..... :rolleyes:

When you are setting the volume, should the target volume be higher than the volume limit?

Eg,

target volume: 12

volume: 8

or have i got that backwards?

Id set your volume limit to something like 6,  7 or 8, unless you like  getting your ears blown out on overload signals.

Then adjust your main volume so you can hear your threshold well. 10-15 works for me

• Like 3

rMadhatter; I generally run my volume at 8,9 or 10;

my sensitivity 6-8

vol 7-10

I use Jonathan's enhancer and dual speakers most of the time and turn the enhancer voulume up if it gets windy...

don't just listen for clear signals, listen for repeatable changes...you won't hear the subtle changes unless you go low and slow and overlap your coil swings....

fred

• Like 2

Madhatter,

Have patience (I sometimes don't).

Why do you need patience?  Well, everyone here giving you their settings and advice spends most of their time swinging without a natural target present.  You can't hear what is not there.

We all have experienced complete days of 8-10 hours and more without a hint of gold.  When you see someone posting 3-4 nuggets now sometimes that is the result of more than one day of hunting.

My last trip to a gold producing area took me 10 hours to drive there.  I found a little flake within my first hour of hunting and for the next 2 days (20 hours) I was unable to locate any more gold even tho I had found gold in these areas in the past.

It is easier to get good or great settings on the 7000 than it is to get directions to a patch to use it.  Research your search area MORE than you research your settings.

Mitchel

• Like 4

Don't be bitter, Mitchel;

there are endless combinations of setting and ears to hear them. 

Patches are hard to find and even harder to share...besides you used up all your good Karma in the beginning...just teasing

fred

• Like 1

Fred,

If it sounds bitter ... it just sounds like I was in the beginning and no one told me.

Every prospector spends MOST of their time not finding gold. (Most means 99% no gold and 1% on gold but I would take that.  Every 100 targets = 1 nugget ... great in my book unless you find a trash-less area.)

How much of your time are you digging a gold target these days?

Mitchel