Obtained My Answer - White's V3i Coil Failure

Recently bought a used V3i from a hunting buddy.  He bought the V3 new and later updated to the V3i version.  The machine is fairly clean and the 10" D2 appears to never been used.  He bought two SEF 10 x 12" coils, one white and one black.

I was very concerned about the lack of air test distances, but with a few reductions in settings the coils will be sufficient for while as long as I don't run multi-frequency and keep the tx boost off.  Did the simple test to see if they were V rated and all failed and one will not ground balance while in multi-frequency.  All this makes sense since he originally bought a V3 detector.  Now I understand why he bought the SEF coils (he thought they would add depth).  I originally bought the machine for only gold/jewelry hunting with the 22.5 frequency which will require a V coil if I run with high sensitivity settings. 

• Like 3

Glad you got it sorted out Mark though not great that the coils are not spot on. It always makes me wonder how many people are running detectors with substandard coils and don't know it. How many internet arguments over which detector is best are rooted in the same issue?

• Like 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Mark I bought a new V3i back in 2011.

i opted to buy a 10x12 sef coil for it.

Mine was the black one.

My detector would with the sef coil installed,,not overload at max Rx gain,,even with tx boost on as well.

But the 22.5khz,, using it targets ID skewed to the high side somewhat.

The noise factor also when running mult freq,,or single freq (22.5khz) the noise factor would rise pretty high,,though still according to some within acceptable limits.