New Gold Show On Discovery Channel: 6 June 2017

https://press.discovery.com/us/dsc/programs/devils-canyon/

Tom B., is this the show you auditioned for last year?

Hey GB

Thanks for posting.

Even when I'm not out finding gold it's nice to see others finding it. Guys think it's a lot of money for GPZ 7000 but look at the cost of a big operation we see on TV.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

If the first show is any indication I don't think you missed much, Tom.

Would be interested in other viewpoints.  I'm not even close to being on-top of prospecting & recovery as most of you.

What I saw was a lot of 'surviving' and not much gold hunting.  In regards to gold equipment, all I remember seeing (it was past my bedtime :smile:) were a couple plastic gold pans -- one a Garrett Super Sluice; don't know the brand/model of the other.  I assume they at least have sluice boxes with them, but being forced to pack in everything (including food), it seems unlikely anything heavier than that made the cut.  We'll see.  2 of the 3 prospectors were featured in episode 1; the last (oldest guy) presumably will show up next week.

I'm not holding my breath that this is going to set a new height on the already low bar of 'reality' treasure hunting TV shows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

I watched the first show...I was not impressed with the whining

We were hoping for a show primarily about finding and recovering gold.  Throw in the surviving as a sidelight.  What we got is a show about surviving, with gold as the afterthought.

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

I hope it gets better....

You and I both, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  These producers, etc. know how important it is to get things started right so the audience will return, and bring their friends.  I'm concerned they've shown us what they think their audience wants to see (= surviving and whining, and not doing either of those particularly well).  But I will also give them another chance.

• Like 1