White's Electronics Visit And A New V3i

Now your speaking my language........ Congrats on the new V3i.

I got mine at the factory also but that was several years ago. Also I am only a couple hours from Sweet Home and have been there several times just for the heck of it......:smile:

I just traded my V3i in for another machine since in comparison it was lacking depth compared to my other VLF's. The V3i is a great coin shooter but here in Europe we need to look past 12" to find the good stuff. The V3i was just not able to do that. I wish I could have kept it since the display and the user interface was awesome.

As always it just depends where you are. I have found the V3i to do well in highly mineralized ground like I have around Reno. Soil with lots of magnetite tends to compress the range of results obtained by all detectors by about 50%, making the differences seen in the field considerably different than experienced in other regions. White's being in Sweet Home, Oregon tends to build for this type mineralization, as it is what they have right out their front door. Same story though - you just have to find what works best for you in your soil on your targets. I admit I got the V3i again less for the performance and more for the whiz bang custom feature list.

Guest Tnsharpshooter
9 hours ago, tboykin said:

For those of you who have not had the opportunity to meet Steve Herschbach in person - he really is that smart!

I have never met the host here.

I think it would be nice though, by what I see here.

Anyone here notice.

Steve doesn't climb on his high horse flaunting his experience, while at the same time insulting folks by what they post.

He does provide clarification if he disagrees, but not to drive anyone away here.

Notice, he pointed out your limited experience Tom, and took a stance to tell folks here.

We are all smarter together here, Steve knows this.

Seems more like a team here vs some other places.

I don't see any of this shut up and color mentality here, or folks being put off by asking what some may consider basic easy questions as they relate to detecting.

Just last Friday I encouraged one person I hunted with some distance from me to come here and read, and yes participate.

I know some of what I post doesn't interest some of the folks here, but they don't post rude commentary/replies either.

Folks come here I think and have a good mutual respect for each other, and IMO this is a reflection of the culture established here by the host.

I wish I knew more about prospecting so I could partake more in discussions here, but since I don't I just read and take it all in that I can.  Difficult to do though, with absolutely no first hand experience.

The D2 looks like it lost some weight (or bulk) compared to mine.

Did the D2 change or am I just looking at a photo fith a flattering angle?

7 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

I wish I knew more about prospecting so I could partake more in discussions here, but since I don't I just read and take it all in that I can.

Posts are needed in the Coin, Jewelry, Meteorite and other forums so thank you for your efforts David, and your kind words.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Deft Tones said:

The D2 looks like it lost some weight (or bulk) compared to mine.

Did the D2 change or am I just looking at a photo fith a flattering angle?

I thought the same thing and was Googling for part number changes yesterday but could find none. The scuff cover I ordered was large and a bad fit so I do think the D2 was slimmed down. I will weigh mine and post. More investigation needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I thought the same thing and was Googling for part number changes yesterday but could find none. The scuff cover I ordered was large and a bad fit so I do think the D2 was slimmed down. I will weigh mine and post. More investigation needed.

We did slim it down. This was based on customer input as well as Steve's post about our "archaic" loop design.

• Like 2