Nice Specimen Find Today

Condor

I'm in Yuma, so I go out locally for a couple hours every morning. Still too hot for all day. I've been finding a few flakes every day. A few in the .5 gram size. 10 days, maybe 6 grams total. The SDC is really keeping things interesting because I find something nearly every day. This morning was the best yet. I found the smaller nugget 1.4 gr right in the wash below drywash tailings. Biggest one of the week. I followed the wash, very shallow, granite cobbles. Maybe 100 yds up, I get a screaming signal. Sounded just like a jacketed bullet, low/high warbled
pitch. Very shallow, 4 inches at best. Frankly, any detector would have found that nugget. Weighs in at 4.8 grams. Biggest nugget so far with the SDC. I'm enjoying my morning outings, and the SDC is a good motivator.

• Like 1

It looks rose, but under magnification more like rust color staining the quartz. Rusty looking pockets amoung fractured crystals on the inside. It also looks like about 1/3 of it was broken off in the distant past. Hope I find that vein.

I searched for the source of those nuggets. Didn't find the vein, but found this guy in the margin between small rivulet wash, and decomposed granite hills. Must be getting close. Difficult terrain, decomposed granite=precarious footing. Mid 90's by 11am. 1.4 gram nugget. No quartz attached.

post-95-0-95580200-1414178136_thumb.jpg