New White's D2 Coil Design For 2017

I just purchased a brand White's V3i from the factory as noted on another thread. The brand new machine much to my surprise comes with new new redesign of the White's D2 10" round DD coil. I say surprise because I ordered a scuff cover for the coil, and although it went on the scuff cover is larger than the new coil, especially along the inner edge of the right side and so there are large gaps between the edges of the coil and the scuff cover. The new coil has been shaved here and there for a thinner more modern appearance versus the older squared off look.

old-whites-d2-coil-versus-new-d2-dd-coil-2017.jpg

I looked and have seen no change in the part number on any sites nor any mention of this new coil anywhere. White's needs to make this known and hopefully a properly fitted scuff cover is available or in the works. It could be it just happened and I am one of the first with this coil and so jumped the gun a bit while dealers clear old stock.

The old D2 coil has been quoted at 17.9 oz or 498 grams which I have to question as my new coil weighs 1 lb 2.6 oz (18.6 oz) or 526 grams on my postal scale. Can anyone get get an accurate weight on the old D2 coil? Include the cable as I have done - I hate it when cable weights are excluded, as if we are going to swing the coil without a cable. That may account for the discrepancy as I find it hard to believe the new coil weighs more than the old coil, unless the internal windings are different/heavier.

This coil is also compatible with the White's VX3, all versions of the MXT, the MX5, M6, and DFX.

whites-d2-dd-coil-new-for-2017.jpg

whites-d2-10-dd-coil-new-for-2017.jpg

• Like 4

And remember, you saw it first at Detectorprospector.com :cool:

I can weigh mine this evening.

I'll edit this reply when I do.

Ok. The scale I used is accurate to 1 gram and I ensured my 1, 5, and 50 gram calibration weights were accurate...

My D2 coil and cable weighs 566 grams

I have D2 coil off an 09 V3 that ways 18.25 oz on our digital food scale. Not sure of its accuracy.

Bryan

• Like 1

That looks much better.   I'd be willing to run that one.   

HH
Mike

Hi Steve,

Wear well on the New V3i...

I agree with you - the screen is one of, if not THE best color screens ever devised for a MD.

But, the first thing I did with mine was to replace the D2 coil with the Eclipse 950 loop.

That definitely made it 'a better machine', especially on wet sand.

The 'E Trac' was better than it on the wet stuff but the V3i HD screen was just so pretty to look at! I even put that in one of my Reports to the ML engineers and that raised a few eye brows! Why so? To get them to come up with something better and while it didn't happen right away, actually it didn't happen until the 'Go-Find' and now the 'Gold Monster' but that's a different story.

If there is some 'extra weight' in your new coil it could have a few extra windings to accomodate a 'new' Lower frequency to be introduced in their next flagship machine? 4kHz maybe....

Nice....

But as far as the looks of a coil....... I would use an old bent up clothes hanger if it performed well.

By the way I like the D2 coil and it has worked very well for me. So has the 6x10, and the 950, and the 4x6..... It's all about using the right tool for the job at hand...JMHO

• Like 4

My scale that's more accurate and goes to 100th of a gram maxes out at 550grams and it's too small in size, so I can't use it to measure unfortunately.

Rereading the two measurements given prior.... I'll triple check this afternoon. That's a wide spred!

Do you have a 6 x 10 DD coil to weigh?

Actually hoping the 6 x 10 DD coil would be a lot lighter coil to swing since I had neck surgery.