New White's D2 Coil Design For 2017

No photo on this one but...

The 8x6 SEF weighs 390 grams with scuff cover.

Amazing that the 4x6 sharpshooter is only 35 grams lighter and the 6" 5.3 concentric is 27 grams heavier. :blink:

• Like 2

Thanks, I called a guy I hunt with at times and he's going to loan me one this weekend. 

I can say I was very disappointed in the performance depth of the 6 x 10 DD coil.  I would imagine (by what I could measure) the 6 x 10 coil is best suited for medium to very small targets down to around 5-6" in depth. 

Go over 6" and the coil struggles to say the least, maybe I should say fails.  Funny that the SEF coils can outperform the White's coils and be lighter and better balance too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Deft Tones said:

No photo on this one but...

The 8x6 SEF weighs 390 grams with scuff cover.

Amazing that the 4x6 sharpshooter is only 35 grams lighter and the 6" 5.3 concentric is 27 grams heavier. :blink:

Yes that was a surprize to me too, when the 4x6 arrived the first thing I noticed was how solid it felt, So I think that it may also be a potted coil too, The 5.3 appears to be a tad hotter on tiny bits of lead, being a concentric it seems to pick up smaller bits better, I tested them both in the ground and in the Air and it does have a measurable edge but that edge can be negated according to ground conditions, the smallest bit I found was 0.006 grams in Clay/Iron filled dirt.

Hope that helps,

John.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It was my understanding your 6x10 coil is out of specification. If that is the case I would not be counting its performance as indicative of what a properly tuned coil might achieve.

I borrowed the 6 x 10 coil from a friend that uses it on his DFX.  He states the coil is very hot and deep.  But I could not get the coil to perform how he says it does on his machine.  To me the coil makes the machine feel front heavy, which is a negative attribute.  Then, I couldn't get it to run even close to my D2.  I understand the D2 is a deeper coil, but the 6 x 10 could not respond to my deepest test garden targets, a 6 1/2 dime and a 7" rivet. 

This year will mark the 10th year for my test garden.  As close to real world targets as I can get.  It would be nice to know if the coil was at fault or maybe my machine.  But the D2 and my SEF coil reacts very well to all my garden targets.

I hope to borrow a 8 x 6" SEF coil this weekend and see how it does.  I'm not griping, only stating results.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This tread has a lot of good info and I forgot to order the new Whites Coil to give it a test, Has anyone had a chance to test one out regarding it's sensitivity and depth compared to the standard 10" 2D coil ?, When I compared the 2D coil to the 6x10 they seen equal when it comes to sensitivity but the 2D has a couple of inches more depth over the 6x10 (5x9).