What Can You Hear?

The last time I went detecting I got a skunk.  During that time of listening to my 7000/14 I noticed that my signals were 'breaking' in a way that made me not understand the ground I was swinging on.  I found myself tuning and re-tuning my detector seeking a steady threshold.  I was going over my wireless connections as well as my conservative sensitivity settings in an effort to hear the signals better.  The breaking can come from several sources.  The detector, the headphones/wireless and my ears.

I'm in the process of checking my headphones and hearing by using this website.

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php 

I've found several of my old headphones have problems.  I'm surprised I hear the range of sounds on the tests.  I get all the mid-range stuff I need, I think.

I have a pair of Gray Ghosts that are built like a tank but don't work properly.  Does anyone know if they have a lifetime warranty?

Some of my Koss UR-30s have stopped working.  I know I can get an exchange on those with some cash.

Mitchel

• Like 5

That's awesome! The Binaural test freaked me out, I thought someone was banging on my window! 

• Like 2

DetectorPro, LLC
1447 Route 44
Pleasant Valley, NY 12569

Phone: (toll free) 800-367-1995 or 1-845-635-3488
Fax: 845-635-1838

Email: info@detectorpro.com
Web Site: www.detectorpro.com

DetectorPro headphones are warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship as long as they are owned by the original consumer purchaser. This warranty is not transferable, and is valid only if the registration card has been completed and mailed within 14 days of purchase.

This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from state to state.

During the first year DetectorPro will, at its option, repair or replace free of charge, including labor, any part(s) found to be defective under normal use excluding transportation charges. After one year from the date of purchase DetectorPro will replace defective parts at no charge except a nominal labor charge and transportation charges.

This warranty excludes headphones that have been abused, altered, or repaired by an unauthorized person. It also excludes wire breakage due to improper flexing. If you feel you have a warranty problem call DetectorPro to receive your return authorization number. This number must be displayed on the address label.

• Like 2

Pretty cool tests.

I find it odd there was no mention of sound card performance and testing. I would think results would vary based upon the make and model sound card/drivers installed because that's what we're plugging our headphones into. Pretty key link in the chain, IMO.

• Like 1

Deft,

You bring up a good point.

My testing unit is a little Asus laptop but I 'seem' to have good tests.  I know there is a lot of difference between internet devices (game consoles, desktops, laptops, Mac's, pads, phones, etc.).

How good of a 'sound card' is in the detectors we use?  

This leads to questions about sound 'processing' after a sensitive coil receives a signal from a potential target.  Would this be the circuits involved with target volume and total volume?  You don't know a target is there unless you can 'hear' it, see it or feel it.

Does anyone make a silent detector with just digital readout only?  I have a pinpointer that is more feel than sound.

Mitchel

Well, I listened to the various tests on my laptop speaker and heard almost every thing. Then, I plugged in my cheap Sony ear buds...They transmit everything that I can hear very well...they did even better when I forced them farther into my ear-holes...but, that would not be as comfortable.

At 67 I have nearly full hearing range with just a bit of shooter's notch from my hunting and shooting days.  I have a problem in noisy rooms like restaurants ...that may be a problem when the wind, trees and coil are added to the threshold noise...but, I hear little ones and deep ones so it can't be too bad.

fred

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Are headphones like this in our future?

The technology relies on a smartphone app that captures a picture of each of your ears, so that it can essentially contour map your outer ear. Once you’ve digitized your ears, you take a photo of your face so the app can map the bone structure of your head for the same reason.

super x-fi appCreative

Creative's app contour-maps your ears and face to analyze how your ears hear sound.

The software maps hundreds of anthropological features with high precision. An AI engine then synthesizes your features with both the dynamics of the headphones you indicate you’re using 

https://www.techhive.com/article/3246194/ces/creative-super-x-fi-headphone-audio-holography.html 

Mitchel

• Like 3

Seems to be there is a fair bit of money going into hearing advances. "Smart" headphones such as this Kickstarter  company now produce, they were well oversubscribed when they sought startup capital. Money talks, suspect we will see some serious hearing advancements in the future, perhaps help us folk hear that elusive nugget

https://www.wired.com/story/nura-nuraphones-headphones/

Although the freedom of not using headphones has got me trialing this pretty neat speaker/booster combo. Being rechargeable via USB and compact they appealed to me and so far are spot on.

http://www.vkteksolutions.com/

• Like 1