True All Metal No Motion Mode

Can you guys help me to compile a list of all current VLF detectors on the market that will run in a true ALL METAL no/non motion setting as a user defined base mode, not a hold trigger or pinpoint button held type option but a base mode of operation. Much like what the original M Scope Fisher Gold Bug 19 khz unit operated as.

I am seeking a VLF unit with least amount of or no discrimination that operates in all metal no motion, ability to turn up gain and sens as well as GB preferred and has ability to add large format aftermarket coil.

I believe that the Tesoro Outlaw has all metal no motion mode.

Fisher F75/F75 LTD

• Like 1

Thanks Mark,will take a better look at the F75, the term STATIC confused me at first, but this I see is just another way of saying it has a Non Motion all metal mode. Does boost mode variations make a difference while running in Static All Metal? Also is the 15 inch DD coil through Fisher for this unit worthy or better to add a large format NEL or Detech?

Is the Technetics T2 same platform as Fisher F75?

Reading the manual for the Fisher Gold Bug and Gold Bug Pro it says:

The All Metal Mode is more sensitive than the Discrimination Mode, and is used to find all types of metal objects in the ground. The searchcoil must be in motion for objects to be detected.

From what I understand the only Non Motion Static mode is attained but holding the Pinpoint button

Pinpoint is a mode of detection which does not require the searchcoil to be in motion. A motionless searchcoil held over a metal object will induce a hum; volume and pitch of the hum increase with target strength.

I am looking for options that run in a true all metal static or non motion full time mode with VCO, most units do not seem to have a dedicated Non Motion / Static All Metal mode because of difficulty for user with drift of signal. Most incorporate a type of pinpoint trigger or button to temp switch into mode.

As from learned elsewhere in forums there is a difference in true Non Motion All Metal and All Metal running through DISC set to zero.

The Original Gold Bug 19 khz had no DISC and ran in a dedicated No Motion mode with VCO 

Some of the detectors are fuzzy as to how the All Metal mode is truly filtered as a stand alone mode or through DISC set to zero. am I correct on this Steve?

From what I understand true ALL METAL is always static or Non Motion, but few current platforms run a dedicated mode for this as it is not user friendly with drift problems. Most channel through a filtered Disc mode.

Here is an old discussion from another board on the SST that gets into the subject

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,44115,44514

I see you chimed in on subject Steve.

What I dont understand is other posters commented  "There's no way for a machine to give variable audio tones in True all metal NON motion" 

This statement confuses me because my experience with the original Gold Bug run in No Motion mode it certainly had great VCO tones 

All metal can be had in both motion and non-motion modes. Non-motion is pure and unfiltered and therefore is subject to drift. Very few detectors offer this mode.

Motion all metal modes add a filter, commonly referred to as SAT (Self Adjusting Threshold) or Autotune. This attempts to keep the threshold steady and if the coil is held motionless over the target the threshold fades away. Motion is required to keep the target beeping so we have "motion all metal". The higher the SAT setting, the more aggressive the filtering, the less depth. Nearly all VLF type nugget detectors employ this mode.

We can now add a discrimination filter. Items pass through the filter and are accepted or rejected. This filter requires more signal strength to deliver a result which is seen as lost depth.

Many low cost detectors only operate in discriminate mode. They can achieve a fake "all metal" mode by simply accepting all targets. However, the filter is still being applied and depth still lost.

VCO is not discrimination per se. A normal detector simply increases the volume with target strength. VCO increases volume and pitch. A loud squeal simply means a strong target. 

Notes on filtering

Picture: Garrett Ace 250 features an "All Metal" mode that is a discriminate mode set to accept all targets.

IMG_1114.JPG

• Like 2

As always Steve, thank you for your very easy to understand summations of subjects, I can glean information across all boards but get easily confused as everyone uses like terms but dont always apply them in correct context.

I bought and tested 5 different platforms recently and moved on from all but the TDI SL PI unit. Am still looking to upgrade the VLF original Gold Bug platform with a detector that operates in the mode as described above.

The next units I plan on trying are the Tesoro Outlaw, Nokta Impact, and now going to look at the F75 (with boost and DST?) From reading the manuals I know that both the Impact and Outlaw have a dedicated true Non Motion All Metal mode unfiltered channel, and the Outlaw actually has a retune button to deal with drift just as the M Scope Gold Bug did. I believe the Detech Chaser 4.8 khz model may also have capability but is not available in US yet and havent found the manual for this model.