Hey Norv,

He's hard to understand under the best of circumstances, even for us.   He comes from a part of the country where they have people who are their own uncle. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Oh, my ... com' on Paul ... you need to start speaking for yourself.  

As far as packing ... I remember Paul 'packing' a big trailer and a Chevy Suburban across some awful terrain in northern Nevada.  I think neither could be used again shortly after that.

Norvic, you know he can't keep a secret, right?

Mitchel

• Like 2

Well with luck you'll figure out a pidgeon english with him that ya both can rely on after he gets over his bluey.  Till then just open up note pad on your computer and share messages that way ;)  My mates in WA usually just smile an nod knowingly when I start speaking Yankanese.  Hahh!

Hope they use a reliable donkey to get his bags to ya.  Knock on wood I'll arrive full kit next week myself on the other coast.  Luck with the hunt Norvic, Nurse Paul.

• Like 2

Steve's is right Paul is a one of a kind, he gets a bit over stimulated sometimes.

• Like 2

Condor, got a Spanish neighbour next door to town house over here in OZ, we`ve been neighbours for 30 years or so, never understood a word in those years but we get along fine and have had many hours of conversation. So Paul and I`ll be AOK, strange thing is I think he and my neighbour understand each other.

DDancer, I think that multiple donkeys have fallen under the weight, how long does it take to fly a couple of bags over???? must be bloody monster bags. Have to talk Sir Richard into getting a bigger plane or a whole string of donkeys.

Beatup, your not wrong Steves on the money for sure.

He is becoming very impatient and even incoherent at times, smoke signalling about some Scot laddie, dark smoke at that, every time he talks about this Scot somehow the word sabotage comes into the conversation, cos I may be misinterpreting the smoke.

Mn, I`ve told him that many stories, confused him proper, so the secrets are hidden cryptographically thus can never be revealed. What secrets..............

• Like 3

Paul have yourself a good long walk about down there so you have lots of stories to tell this winter to us poor boys in Yuma.

• Like 2

So, did they leave them in LA or did they loose them along the way? Don't matter it is still a huge pain in the Buttocks!

As to oz-speak...just remember that "time for tea" means someone is going to feed you food...which is way better than a beverage.

Good luck to you both!

fred

• Like 4

Have at it Paul with great success.

Please, please, please leave Fred something.  He has only found 1.76 oz so far this year.

Lucky bloke.

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 1515Art
      We had a friend come by the studio with some opal samples she brought back from a friend of hers who has an opal mine in Australia. The pieces she brought this time over to the studio were small samples of Boulder opal. The mine is a 3 day drive from Melbourne and over 200k of that drive is off road into the bush a very difficult and somewhat risky drive she says requiring careful preperation and notice to the locals to come looking for you if you fail to come back out is also a good idea.
      This is a chunk of the local boulder opal,

The next question on my mind was is there any gold????? I’m thinking Australia, minerals and gee I wonder and if so, is the owner finding any gold? She didn’t know and sent him a message asking because a friend was interested to know, he’s going to be visiting the US later this month and I invited them both back for a visit when he is here if they have time I’d love to learn more about his adventures. Anyway, my friend sent over some plctures I think might be of interest, seems there is a few nuggets to be found here and there along with the other goodies in the ground.

• By AussieDigs
      Hi Guys n Gals.
      I’ve never ran a detector but very much looking forward to it. I live in the Nth East of Victoria Australia with access to what was some of the richest gold fields. I have no idea as to what the ground is like but it would be a fair guess that it would be at least reasonably mineralised.
      I know i will be a beginner but i dont want to spend my limited budget on a beginners detector. I’m willing to do the hard yards with the likes of an intermediate detector. The areas that i would be concentrating on is Beechworth and the Buckland Valley etc, so the ground will have plenty of iron and the likes and mineralised. I will be working mostly around the mines on hillsides etc. 
      I noticed a used Nokta Fors Core for sale so did a little research. Nice detector. VLF struggling in the mineralised ground or does the Nokta fair not too badly? A good used GP3000 is going to be twice the price and above my budget but i could work on that. Lack of descrimination would probably be an issue at these workings? Whites SPP? I’m finding it hard to get too much info on these but from what i have read they seem like a good detector.
      Because of the likes of the trash and mineralised ground, i’m finding it difficult to choose between the VLF and a PI. I could start with the likes of the Nokta and purchase the likes of the GP or SPP further down the road.
      Does the SPP come under another name or as an updated model?
      Thanks all.
      Al.
    • By klunker
      We are still snowed in here in the Northern Sierras so I have no new adventures to share with you all so I guess I'll have to reminisce a bit.
      My cousin seems to have escaped the family curse of the prospector and is a member of normal society as long as he avoids bad influences -like me.
        I told him about an interesting spot on an old map that I would like to go find and ask if he would like to go along. He readily agreed but he didn't have much time so we decided to take his rig instead of my old Jeep because it was much faster. We left out of town and very quickly took a steep path that took us up several thousand feet.  I was able to direct him to where we could look down on the prospecting spot  but but it was obvious that we would need my Jeep to get all the way into it so we turned around and headed back to town. Well, My cousin got to playing around in his fancy (and expensive) rig, going way too fast and tipping it way to one side and then way to the other side then he ask me if it made me nervous. "Not in the least I replied". I was not nervous- I was terrified. He tipped the rig WAY up on it's side again except this time, OOPS , it rolled completely over but fortunately it came  back upright. In the interest of keeping the story brief I will just say we made it back to town ok but I now know that my old Jeep is a much better prospecting rig than a North American T28. 
    • By phrunt
      I stumbled out of bed yesterday to our first big frost of the year, it was -3.9 outside, 24°F in the old money

It was a nice still clear day and a perfect day to get out there doing something, fortunately there was a message from KiwiJW in my inbox on the forum asking if I'd like to go for a gold hunt, well I don't need to tell you my answer to that.  I was quickly ensuring all my gear was charged and ready to go.  The drive to JW's house can be a bit hit and miss depending on the time of the day.  A majority of the cars on the road are tourists in their hire cars and they're usually all going the same directions to the same places and in the morning's they all usually heading to Milford Sound.
      Here is a video for those who don't know showing what Milford Sound is https://youtu.be/iiBOi_8yVlQ
      There is always some tourists heading the opposite direction however, which can make my journey take far longer when I get stuck behind them on a road with many blind corners and few passing opportunities.  This one green hire van had me stuck behind it doing almost half the speed limit for about 10 minutes as the Ute refused to pass, so I had to take them both. The tourists tend to drive much slower as they're looking around enjoying the scenery.  The snow is forming on the hills too, a sure sign winter is on it's way.

Arriving at JW's we were quick to head out on our mission, we decided to go for a bush walk and view some local gold mining history too, it was the perfect day for it and I do enjoy learning about all the history in the area.  We walked a hiking track that had a lot of Gold history.  We stumbled across these bars out of an old timers sluice

And found an old gold miners hut still in very good condition, JW was thinking of moving in by the looks of it 🙂

A nice fireplace to get him through the winter, and all the creature comforts of home 🙂

He forgot to take his equipment inside so it rusted away.
      The old timers went to extraordinary lengths to move water and gravel around, here is a tunnel they built, with JW entering it

That's JW up there exiting the tunnel.  All through solid rock, incredible.
      They did some serious work to the landscape too, It's hard to believe how much soil they washed out, I guess with water monitors.

Now we both had the itch to find some gold we left our bush walk location and went to near the creek location I found my last tiny Equinox gold
      Now it's down to the business end of the story.   JW pointed me to a bit of bedrock and said that will suit the Equinox, It looked nice and so did the path down to it, I always think back to JW's path that just keeps on giving at another location, every time we go there he finds gold in the path, I never have, well this path turned into my path that keeps on giving.

The little track down to the bedrock.   It wasn't even 2 minutes after we started detecting and I had my first hit, bouncing between 3 and 4 on the VDI's.

And about 2 inches down in the gravelly soil was this little guy

Skunk broken straight away, a nice .1 of a gram.  It's sitting next to the EQX06 logo on the coil.

A couple of minutes later right near it in the path another hit again between 3 and 4 on the VDI's

Things were looking good for my path so I decided to go back to the top of it and try again in case I missed something, and right at the top another 1, 2 on the VDI numbers but this time it was solid rock with lots of quartz through it, I didn't know what to do so asked JW, he said smash it out break it up so I did just that.

The bit of rock in the scoop is still giving 1, 2 on the VDI's.  JW helped me smash it up further narrowing the bit down with the signal, we got it this small in the end, still a 1, 2 on the VDI's

I'll have to smash it up more I guess and find out what surprise is inside! I can't see any gold yet.
      Now time to head further down the path to the bedrock JW pointed out for me

It was on quite a cliff edge, you'll just see the creek far down below in the top of this photo
      Another 10 or so minutes and I had another hit, this was getting crazy

This one was coming up as the standard 1, 2 on the VDI's.
      I was having a ball at this stage and finally knew what it felt like to be JW, pulling nuggets up all over the place with his GPZ 7000 🙂
      Not even 10 steps later another hit! Unbelievable!!
      This one was in a crevice and a bit harder to get to, coming up in the negative VDI numbers, sitting around -6 to -3 but I knew from my tiny gold experience the other day it's likely to be gold and not junk in this location on those VDI numbers.

I scraped all the soil out trying to get to the target and finally found it, it was a lot harder to track down so I knew it was tiny.

If you look hard you'll see the spec in the scoop.

And next to the EQX06 on the coil.

My smallest detected bit so far I believe, 0.010 of a gram, smaller than last weekends 0.011 of a gram.  The same settings as last weekend, horseshoe mode all metal, sensitivity 25, iron bias 0, gold 1 and manual ground balance.  I would never not use horse shoe all metal mode when tiny gold hunting, you'll miss all the little gold as it often goes in the negative VDI's and you'll just get a blanked out target.
      Now I was getting to the end of my cliff drop off point, and the end of my little spot

It's a very long drop from up here down to the creek below, kinda scary for me being here but I make my way to the edge anyway, wobbly knees and all.

Looooonnnggggg way down.  Last attempt at my spot was to detect the mosses on the edge of the cliff, hoping some gold had been washed into them and soon after another hit at 1, 2 on the VDI's

And that was it for the day, John sacrificed this good spot by pointing me in it's direction while he went off detecting elsewhere.  Thanks John.
      On the way out we walked past a nice waterfall

Another enjoyable day with 0.269 of a gram in my bottle 🙂
      The small 6" coil for the Equinox is great but surprisingly the 11" is quite capable of finding all of the tiny gold I found on this day.  It's just not as maneuverable in among the rocks and crevices as the little 6" but it's still incredibly sensitive to small gold.  The 11" is good if you're needing to cover a lot of ground quickly, it does a good job of it without losing much at all in sensitivity.  Even the 12x15" coil is still pretty sensitive to tiny gold, it will lose the 0.010 gram piece but will get the slightly bigger ones well.
      The Equinox is a brilliant detector, just has happy finding this tiny gold as it is coins and jewellery in the parks and beaches, very versatile.
    • By kiwijw
      After our days detecting up on the bedrock, I with the GM 1000 finding 5 small bits of gold & Simon with his Nox 800 snagging 6 tiny bits. The next day we went back to a place that Simon has been to quite a few times now but I took him to a spot he hadn't been to in the general location. I had done ok here back in my GP 3000 days on numerous occasions with different coils. I went once with the 4500 & only got one small bit. I hadn't been back since & had never had the Zed here. The other times I had been here the grass was non existent but this year with the crazy grass & weed growth I wasn't very confident. I chose to take the Zed with it 14" coil & Simon stuck with the Nox 800 & 6" coil.
      Without telling Simon I put him on to a spot where I had got a few bits back with the GP 3000 & the one piece with the 4500. I wandered off further down the workings. The grass wasn't too bad but I was just getting rubbish & quite a few shot gun pellets. Unlike the day before where Simon didn't get one pellet & I only got one. You just have to dig all the signals & one I got was no different to any of the other pellets I had dug but after a couple of scrapes the signal was still in the ground.

A few more scrapes & it had moved. Was my first bit of sassy gold.

Took a while to come, but then things dried up for what seemed ages. In the mean time Simon had wandered off from the spot I left him on. He had gone over some other bedrock, moved on from that & had jumped a fence & was heading further up the gully diggings. I thought to myself then that he is sure covering a lot of ground quickly with that little 6" coil. I on the other hand in comparison had moved bugger all & that was with the Zeds 14" coil. I then just put the coil & my eyes to the ground & got lost in what I was doing. Next thing I hear Simon's nox nutting off not far from me & looked up. He was detecting opposite me higher up on the fringe of the gully. Again I was surprised at how quickly he had finished over the fence & come back down above me & proceeded to jump another fence & head on down the workings until I lost site of him.
      I eventually worked my way to where I had first put him on to & it wasn't long before I got a faint signal.

It wasn't very deep & should have been within the Nox's range. Was a solid little chunky ball of gold. Came out of the ground real clean & almost shiny.

I ended up getting numerous bits here.

This wasn't a bad size & the Nox should have got this.

I then got a very faint signal beside a small briar rose bush. Thinking pellet I scraped away. Signal still there & I had to hack out into the bush to pin point the target.

This was a bit deeper but it finally came out of hiding. Again very clean almost shiny gold.

I then wandered up out of the workings slightly. Heading up a bit of a bank that was nice looking gravels & where the old timers had stopped sluicing. But I knew I had got numerous bits here with the GP 3000. After a few pellets a signal lived on down a bit until it finally popped out.

Again it wasn't deep.

Before back filling my dig I re scanned & an other signal.

Another bit of gold.

I then saw Simon heading on back up. Thinking he was coming to show me something. But no he stopped & detected around where I had first started. I in turn had just moved on to the bed rock area that he had covered. I got a signal & scraped on it & the signal moved pretty quickly.

It was my smallest bit of gold for the day.

Simon saw me taking a photo & said, Have you found a bit? I said I have found 8. He was gobsmacked as he said he had covered every bit of that area. He came over to have a look at my finds & the depth of that last bit, which wasn't deep. It was then that he told me he couldn't run the Nox in full max 25 sensitivity like he could the day before when he got those insanely small bits. He said he settled on 21 & even that was noisy. 18 was better but he just felt he was losing too much depth & sensitivity. He ended up with a million pellets but no gold. I couldn't believe it. Especially after his day before. I must admit that I was again blown away by the Zed. I wasn't holding much hope here to be honest but the Zed just proved itself to me again. High Yield/Normal sensitivity on 18 & just purred.

8 bits for 1.8 grams. Cheers.
      Best of luck out there.
      JW
    • By Rivers rat
      Hello to all i managed to find a bit of time to share my experience and trip in the Goldfields.So here we go:

I managed to escape Melbourne for 3 days as wife was working there and i was doing the driving.Was hot very hot and i understand now why there is time to prospect and time to stay in an air cooled house.
      Anyway as a result of a post on the forum i contacted Goldrat (aka Peter) and after some very good chat and instruction we met in Maryborough .The drive from Melbourne for me was epic as :
      1)i loved the scenery
      2) i get lost very easily (But thanks to Peter instruction and a capricious phone i reached my destination without problem).

So we head up to Talbot for bnb and to pick up a SDC2300 complimentary of my landlord Neil.We then headed to our first spot ,and while Peter was narrating the tales of mountain of gold retrieve from the area i was taking as many pics as possible as this was completely new to me

Peter found the first bit of gold using his faithfull Equinox with the 6".......for the setting ask him .

My bnb road

SPOT 1 

Wasn't me!!!!!!!!

Scoooooore Peter first gold ,he gave it to me lost it in my suitcase.......