20170318_055317.thumb.jpeg.f8013f2eb3a380eb186e0302cd2b7e04.jpegStrick, Oz shorten barramundi to barra. We call barracudas, pick handles, but they are sure fun and put up a crazy high speed fight wheras our bara, usually jump 1-3 times trying and successfully most times to dislodge the lure. Hopefully will get Paul one or two and he can post a photo. The barra because of its small head size have good size white fillets, not quiet the best eating fish but still top eating, with a feed of barra being well sought after for many visitors to the north of OZ where they live in either fresh or seawater. Magic fish to catch, especially in winter, when they are a challenge to get onto.

Paul is finding out about the remoteness, low population of NQ AU, thus the only places that get overnight service are the State capitals and a few regional cities. It is that remoteness and low population that makes it the paradise overseas visitors in particular like to see, tis a local call to JC here.

• Like 4

If I can ever unass myself to get away from the beauty of the desert bush I'd love to get some fishing in, but I suffice to just sit by a dam and yabbie fish with a slab of coldies and a good book Hehh!

The remoteness of it all is one of many reasons I do love Oz.  The big smokes have their appeal, some of the cleanest cities I've ever encountered, but even they shutter up like small towns after a time.  Not like here in the States where its full on in most places 24/7.  Well tomarrow is the hop and in a week it'll be campfires and swinging.  Mayhap I'll run into someone from here but I expect it'll be sunrises and sunsets with a bit of gold in my pocket to polish the day.  Luck to ya Norvic, Nursepaul see ya in the flip.

• Like 3

DDancer, get up into the WA Kimberly coast estuaries , you`ve gotta tie your lure on behind a tree or the barra will take it out of your hand.......... no no not a fish story at all :biggrin:

Norvic, you say its not the best eating fish but id give my left leg for a nice barra "steak" like what we used to get @ Robertson barracks (Army) what do you consider better eating? ill give it a go cause i love me some barramundi

Aussieau.  Coral trout.  Blue bone. They are pretty good. 

Personally my favorite fish to catch and eat are Spanish Mackerel. Awesome to fish for, fight and great table fish with heaps of tucker off one fish. I miss the NT  :mellow:

Barra are reasonably good tasting and are also great fun to catch.

• Like 1

I am curious , Paul;

was the gpz control box in your checked bags that got delayed?  Or, did you have it in your carry-on? If you showed it to customs and laid it down they surely would return it to you...

Of course if you think you left it home maybe someone could go look for you...

I know what a mess not having my "stuff" made of the first week on Mark's tour...you are not nearly as agitated as I was...

hope it all comes together for you

fred

• Like 1