Problem on Beach with Garrett AT Pro

Having just taken delivery of a brand new Garrett AT Pro, I wish to high heaven I waited until I had the cash to pay for a Nokta.

After having spent literally months studying and researching which detector I should get, after getting it and taking it to the beach on Saturday, I'm stunned at the fact it is now falsing so badly you can move it any way you like and it gives low, medium and/or high tones.

Did all the factory resets when it was switched on and when it was switched off...to no avail.  

Being on a pension, every dollar is valuable and I've scrounged, scrimped and saved for a new detector for so long now, and this is what Garrett come up with. Unbelievable. And as it came from the US  (I live in Oz), it looks as though I have to go through all the pain and grief of sending it back to the US if I'm to get any satisfaction on having it repaired.  

However, one thing of which is certain; when it's fixed, it's 'outski' and onto the market and I'll get a new Nokta. Thanks for nothing Garrett.

But thanks for a great review, Steve, you've sold me on the Nokta.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Call Garrett and explain your issue to them. They will pay for the return shipping and fix the problem and your MD will be back in your hands in short time. Garrett has great service as I found out on a ATX.

Thanks for that Az. I've simmered down a bit after a couple of glasses of red. Have fired of a rather blunt missive to Garrett and will just have to sit back and see what happens. 

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for that Az. I've simmered down a bit after a couple of glasses of red. Have fired of a rather blunt missive to Garrett and will just have to sit back and see what happens. 

Thanks for the advice.

Never having either detected in Australia with or without a Garrett AT Pro I'm just clutching at straws but I'm wondering about the legendary ground mineralization you have.  Is it possible that any VLF detector would act the same at your location?  Before sending it all the way back to Garrett, could you try a friends AT Pro or another VLF detector to see how they work  at the same location?

- Bob

Never having either detected in Australia with or without a Garrett AT Pro I'm just clutching at straws but I'm wondering about the legendary ground mineralization you have.  Is it possible that any VLF detector would act the same at your location?  Before sending it all the way back to Garrett, could you try a friends AT Pro or another VLF detector to see how they work  at the same location?

- Bob

Hi Bob, I thought you were here in Oz. Hence I posted the link to the store in Bendigo.  Sorry about that.

My problems happened at the beach. But the same thing is occurring away from the beach also.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Sunriseboy, I'm surprised you're having those issues (unless you're in a very, very mineralized area) I took an ATP out to the beach yesterday and it performed flawlessly. Dry sand, wet sand and in the water too.

Sunriseboy, I'm surprised you're having those issues (unless you're in a very, very mineralized area) I took an ATP out to the beach yesterday and it performed flawlessly. Dry sand, wet sand and in the water too.

Well, I'm very happy for you. That wasn't my experience.

However, I've done 'another' factory reset and am off to the beach this morning to give it another trot.

So time will tell.

Be nice if you could try another coil. Coils go bad far more often than control boxes. Does sound like an issue with the unit. Sadly, being in Oz it is the Garrett made far away in a foreign land.

I liked my AT Pro and have considered getting another one. But my CTX 3030 does everything the AT does and more so no realistic reason to. Great little detectors though, Garrett hit a home run with the bang-for-the-buck. When they work right.

I have the most regrettable effects on anything computerized.

Yes, Steve, I did change down to the 5x8 coil and it worked well.  Now here's the thing; the confounded 8x11 coil is now working OK also.  OMG...go figure. 

So I guess I have to dig in to eat a very large serving of humble pie after give the people at Garrett a fair spray about the matter.

Anyway, boys, I can't tell you how grateful I am that you are so ready to give people some great advice and direction. I really appreciate it.

And Az...please take it easy on that knee of yours.  It sounds like you've been in more trouble than Jesse James!

Hi Bob, I thought you were here in Oz. Hence I posted the link to the store in Bendigo.  Sorry about that.

My problems happened at the beach. But the same thing is occurring away from the beach also.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

No offense taken for being mistaken for an Aussie, although my limited sense of humor and  ability to spew out barrels of  colorful language immediately disqualifies me.  I did work for an Australian company at the Lihir, Papua, New Guinea, gold mine and made several  trips to Brisbane and really enjoyed the place.

Glad things seem to be working out with your AT Pro and hope it stays that way.