Steve Herschbach

Minelab GPZ 19 First Gold Plus Gold Monster Tidbits

I'd love to try that machine, only draw back is my area holds very little gold.  But it might be a super gold jewelry machine.

Thanks for taking the time to post your finds.

Big coils area tough call. I like them mainly for ground coverage but in this case the extra weight added to what is already a heavy detector makes it harder to get excited about putting the GPZ19 on the detector. People get all tied up in knots over the advertising and percentages which all strikes me as beside the point. I know the GPZ19 goes deeper than the GPZ14. Maybe it's only an inch, maybe more, maybe less, but I have no doubt when I put the GPZ19 on that I am getting that little extra I might need to make a find. It certainly is a nice feeling when you find a little patch like I did to be able to break out the big coil and give it another go. I always hate leaving a good spot thinking there might be something else lurking there just out of reach and the GPZ19 helps put that concern to rest.

• Like 5

Try Phonexis poly-carb skid plate with the 19, gets rid of most of those "knock signals", I too am back up at your insane settings but found leave the vol on 7 and use the B&Z booster.

The 19 is a magic coil, should have my Monster Tuesday, really looking forward to my first gold VLF since the Striker bit of fun.....

• Like 2

The bumping is not an issue for me. It occurred rarely and only if I banged the coil hard. I might have to do the modification anyway though by placing a poly-carb piece on the bottom of the Nugget Finder skid plate. It seems very thin for the weight of the coil it is carrying and I do not expect it to be a long life item.

I suspect to get the stability that the poly-carb gives it needs to be bonded direct to the coil, I`ve also done it to the 14 and surprisingly it has stabilised it to some extent I have found this makes it too a better quieter coil. Maybe just a personal thingo but I doubt it as has noticeably upped my yield.

• Like 1

Very nice gold and good info! I'm looking forward to my GM1000 arriving too; it'll be nice to have a lightweight "grab-n-go". :-)

5 hours ago, fredmason said:

Great info on both detectors, Thanks.

I finally gave in to greed, fear of loss and not wanting to be out-gunned by my "peers". The 19 inch arrives today...

fred

Fred,

You have a deep patch or two and you don't want anyone to use this coil on it before you.

It was one of the reasons why I HAD to buy it.

Mitchel

• Like 1

def agree with you there steve, the auto settings on the GM1000 are the way to go, nice looking nuggets!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By billdean
      I have broken my head phones that came with my Minlab monster 1000. I have tried searching for another pair that will work without rewiring everything but I don't understand exactly what it is I need. Can anyone recommend a good pair of head phones for the Monster 1000?
    • By idahogold
      Hubby evens the Score! 😆Enjoy! Ig

• By Ridge Runner
      I stand about 6 feet but the GM 1000 shaft is just too long. So this is what I done to make it right for me only.
      I first put the shaft together then put the large coil on.
      Then I slip the control head on and found if I put it just past the end shaft where the middle starts is just right for me. I then slip the arm rest where I wanted but this leaves the shaft hitting me when I swing my detector. I took it and cut off 5 1/2 inches. this still leaves 2 inches behind the arm rest.
      You can now unscrew  the end shaft with arm rest from the other. You now have the control head with the coil on two parts of the shaft and the other with the arm rest. When you screw them back together you may have to adjust the arm rest a little.
      You will find the longest part with the head and coil is 36 inches. I buy gun cases for my metal detectors and most are 38" if not longer with three big pockets on one side. The cost runs about 79.but can get them on sale for 49-59.
      Be sure this will work for you before you make a cut.
      Chuck
      PS The end shaft is aluminum and you can knock the plastic plug out after you cut the shaft to put it in the other.
    • By Andyy
      All - I thought I would share an idea on carrying your gold monster.  This is more for those of you that hike very far before you are ready to detect, or maybe you already have your hands full with another detector like a GPX or GPZ.  It is not an original idea but one I saw recently for carry spare fishing poles.  I recently tried it on a night hunt and really liked how it handled.  It allowed me to use my GPZ and then switch to my GM1000 when I hit the bedrock.  A major caveat is that I have converted my GPZ to telescoping rods, but I think the idea might still be useful for some people.
      For starters, this is for people who have made their own stand with PVC pipe fittings.  you simply remove the elbow at the end of the stand so that you have a straight piece at the end.  This is key, because the first contact point is low on your Camelpak (or other backpack). 
      For this low contact point, you need a zip tie or similar method to make a loop.  This is where you put the pole end of the GM1000, then you swing it over your shoulder and hook it to a caribiner that is latched to a high point of the backpack, typically the carrying handle.  I used a caribiner but you could sew a velcro loop on there with back pack clips.  There are many ways of doing this.  Whichever way you choose, don't forget to bring the stand with you. 😃

• By Steve Herschbach
      I purchased a Golden Mask telescoping rod with the intent of using it for my Deus HF elliptical coil. XP placing the battery in the trapezoidal lower rod section however made an adaptation more trouble than it is worth for something I am not sure I will keep anyway. I decided to repurpose it instead to the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 in an attempt to make it as easy as possible to collapse down and put in a rucksack.

The arm cup removal is easy. Just remove the bolts. The grip/handle however is both screwed together and glued. Have to give them credit - beautifully made rod assembly. Some heat from a hair dryer and careful prying got the grip assembly off the rod.

The upper rod is thicker than the standard rod diameter and so the neat little clamps Minelab includes with the GM1000 will not work. Instead standard hose clamps will serve until I get some that fit better.

The upper rod is not quite long enough to get the proper spacing for the armrest, so this is a mockup until I find a short piece of rod the correct diameter to install in the upper rod for a little extra length. Roughly 30" long when collapsed. The coil needed to be shimmed with an extra rubber washer. I used the skinny little Golden Mask plastic bolt but will drill the isolator rod out to accommodate the Minelab bolt later.

Near final product, with way more length fully extended than I need at my height of 5'11" but that is good for working overhead cut banks and poking around in the brush. Click all photos for larger versions. Once I get the rough edges finished this will be a sweet little backpacker unit.

• By idahogold
      Davs scores again!💪 Enjoy" Ig