Steve Herschbach

Minelab GPZ 19 First Gold Plus Gold Monster Tidbits

I'd love to try that machine, only draw back is my area holds very little gold.  But it might be a super gold jewelry machine.

Thanks for taking the time to post your finds.

Big coils area tough call. I like them mainly for ground coverage but in this case the extra weight added to what is already a heavy detector makes it harder to get excited about putting the GPZ19 on the detector. People get all tied up in knots over the advertising and percentages which all strikes me as beside the point. I know the GPZ19 goes deeper than the GPZ14. Maybe it's only an inch, maybe more, maybe less, but I have no doubt when I put the GPZ19 on that I am getting that little extra I might need to make a find. It certainly is a nice feeling when you find a little patch like I did to be able to break out the big coil and give it another go. I always hate leaving a good spot thinking there might be something else lurking there just out of reach and the GPZ19 helps put that concern to rest.

• Like 5

Try Phonexis poly-carb skid plate with the 19, gets rid of most of those "knock signals", I too am back up at your insane settings but found leave the vol on 7 and use the B&Z booster.

The 19 is a magic coil, should have my Monster Tuesday, really looking forward to my first gold VLF since the Striker bit of fun.....

• Like 2

The bumping is not an issue for me. It occurred rarely and only if I banged the coil hard. I might have to do the modification anyway though by placing a poly-carb piece on the bottom of the Nugget Finder skid plate. It seems very thin for the weight of the coil it is carrying and I do not expect it to be a long life item.

I suspect to get the stability that the poly-carb gives it needs to be bonded direct to the coil, I`ve also done it to the 14 and surprisingly it has stabilised it to some extent I have found this makes it too a better quieter coil. Maybe just a personal thingo but I doubt it as has noticeably upped my yield.

• Like 1

Very nice gold and good info! I'm looking forward to my GM1000 arriving too; it'll be nice to have a lightweight "grab-n-go". :-)

5 hours ago, fredmason said:

Great info on both detectors, Thanks.

I finally gave in to greed, fear of loss and not wanting to be out-gunned by my "peers". The 19 inch arrives today...

fred

Fred,

You have a deep patch or two and you don't want anyone to use this coil on it before you.

It was one of the reasons why I HAD to buy it.

Mitchel

• Like 1

def agree with you there steve, the auto settings on the GM1000 are the way to go, nice looking nuggets!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By klunker
      I just couldn't figure it out. The old Jeep mysteriously started running much smoother and quieter and became much more stable. I would also say that it's performance somehow increased by 30% or perhaps even 40%. In fact i was so impressed i decided I would invest some time into cleaning it up a bit. As I was mucking out the interior ( forgotten rock samples, sticks and leaves, old sandwich wrappers with sandwiches, dropped nuggets and such) I found Sourdough Scott's missing ferrite ring. I took it out and put it where Scott could pick it up and now the Jeep is back to it's usual squeaky, whinny, worbally self.
       Mystery solved.

• By PG-Prospecting
      From back in May when i first found my little nugget patch.  Some of the smaller pieces of gold in this spot would ring up to the iron side, but since almost every target in this spot is gold, it shows you that on small gold the probability indicator should be ignored.  Some nice gold for only an hour or so spent detecting.  Will have more videos to come, im slowly working through my backlog.  
      Thanks for watching!

• By phrunt
      I always wondered if there was even gold around where the X-coil manufacturer lives, I didn't know much about Russian gold or if Russia even had much gold.
      Here is a video broken into parts of the Russian manufacturer showing the different capabilities of the 17x12" X-Coil between the Standard GPZ14” Minelab coil being used near high voltage power lines in Russia.
      It's good to see he is a prospector.
      Sorry about the quality of some of the parts. 
      It's a deep hole he has to dig to get it, nice soft soil though... that'd make life easier than using a jackhammer 🙂

• By Emmanuel
      Hello fellow prospectors,
      I recently acquired a Minelab GPZ 7000 and I am looking for a fellow prospector wanting to search for gold with me in Southern California. As a former FBI agent, I have learned it is better to have two people when exploring unknown places... I have been using a Minelab CTX 3030 and I am ready for something new i.e. gold prospecting. I live in Long Beach but  I also have a home in the Lake Arrowhead area (San Bernardino County). I believe some areas are worth prospecting in San Bernardino County. Having said that, I am willing to travel. Reach out if you are interested. ads4350@gmail.com
    • By jasong
      I was going to post this in one of the X Coil threads, but it might be of interest to everyone.
      I bought a replacement ferrite ring since I left my ML ferrite in Arizona. It's one of the Doc's ferrites with the white backside (off Ebay), I did not realize they were not ML ferrites when I bought it. The OEM Minelab ferrites have a black backside.
      It would not balance on the X Coils at all and actually sounded like a screaming target (I didn't try the Z14) so I reported that to the coil manufacturer. He responded that the white backed aftermarket rings are not the same as the ML rings. So, as I normally do, I checked for myself, bought an authentic ML ring, and he was right.
      They are the same size, but the Doc's ring is 10 grams heavier (something I noticed immediately but did not have a ML ring to compare to until recently). It is also more magnetic. The Doc's ring is also conductive whereas the ML ring is non-conductive - the Doc's ring was reading about 38 ohms from side to side whereas the ML ring read infinity. And after I sanded the backs to get a fresh surface to check resistances on I noticed the ML ring looks dull and black as a ferrite should, but the Doc's ring looks shiny and metallic, like iron.
      So, clearly there are differences between the two rings. Thought people might like to know even if you are just using the stock coil, as I'm not sure how this affects the ground balance, but someone could be running suboptimally using this ring.

• By inthemountains
      Some of you may know what it is like to swing a large PI detector. It can turn into a job and not be fun even though the weight of gold found is good.
      I have used a GB 2 since it first came out and when I break it out I call that therapy.
      Recently Gerry's Detectors  helped me obtain a Goldmonster to add to my many detectors. Thanks Gerry. I did not know what to expect , I just needed something to have as a loaner.
      Was not really impressed by the rod as it is a 3 piece screw together type. The big coil looks funny and the ergonomics are sort of out of balance. Well that all went away when i turned it on.
      The photo shows the result of the first three outings. I am very impressed. I never thought i would put my GB2 in the corner. Fisher needs a wake up call. Sorry  I am the most die hard GB2 fan out there but this detector with the 5 inch round coil is amazing. Turn on and go. Rechargeable batteries and great response on the smallest gold. Did not even use headphones. The Bug 2 is better in some ways (hot rocks) but is in need of a total update. Heavier cables , push button, possibly a 71HZ Gold Bug Pro type package.
                 I hear the Equinox is as good for gold. I guess i have some testing to do. 
      I could easily put the heavier GPZ away for awhile and just go back to small coil detecting. If I can figure out the Equinox I could find old coins and small gold with one machine on the same day. 
      This must be Steve's approach. Tired of heavy detectors.