Minelab GPZ 19 First Gold Plus Gold Monster Tidbits

The Gold Monster 1000 is a VLF detector. If the ground is bad enough you need a PI the GM1000 does not change that. No new patent numbers attached!

The GM1000 does ground track. How it's ground tracking compares directly to the GMT in bad ground I do not know. It was tested in Australia by JP so his posts in that regard are more relevant than mine. Aussiau reported from Australia. The Gold Bug 2 does not have ground tracking.

The GM1000 also has auto-sensitivity. No other prospecting detector has this. It is possible that the ground tracking combined with the auto-sensitivity will allow a person to more easily operate on difficult ground than might be the case with other detectors. Notice I am not saying better, just easier.

Look guys, it's just a decent little detector, that's all. Setting up a Gold Bug Pro and a GM1000 for a grudge match might be interesting but that is the level we are playing at, not even close to SDC, GPX, or GPZ territory. I am not trying to sell anyone on this detector and no matter how much anyone tries I am not going to say anything different than what has already been said. Entry level, entry level, entry level.....

• Like 5

For me the Auto GB is a must for our conditions, going back to the GBII was a pain because I was on the dials all the time or if I got lazy I had to deal with a less than optimal machine. At the end of the day the GM is just a decent VLF with features that make it nice to use. The key for me is getting the Ground Balance right and then getting the Auto Sensitivity to then come into alignment, when that happened I was very happy with the way it handled our ground. At the end of the day the GM 1000 is a VLF detector and as such behaves just like every other High Freq VLF I've used over the years in my locations, as such it requires a VLF approach and mindset.

JP

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Steve, can you please tell us what coil on the Zed found which pieces of gold & at what depth? Thanks. I dont know if I can justify a 19 inch coil here in NZ.

I found it interesting that you used the GM 1000 as a scouting detector & if gold was found with it you would then go over the ground with the Zed. If you found no gold with the GM 1000 scouting, would you walk away  & not wave the Zed over the same ground?

Hi JW,

If you go back to the original post all the nuggets were found with the GPZ with 14" coil except the ones separately pictured with a dime. Both the 1.2 gram and 1.3 gram nuggets found with the GPZ19 were about a foot deep. Best guess as I was not doing exact measurements. I don't think there would be any particular advantage for you given the size of the gold you normally find.

Make no mistake. Nearly all the time I spend metal detecting for gold nuggets I am swinging the GPZ 7000. It does not matter what I am doing usually, scouting, patch pounding, whatever, it is with GPZ 7000.

My comment about scouting was simply based on my recent reality. I saw a spot where some mining had taken place, and thought it might be trashy. So I grabbed the GM1000 and blasted over it. I discovered it was not as trashy as I thought, but main thing was I found that nugget also, which got me going then with the GPZ.

And another time I was driving a road exploring, and saw quartz on a hillside. I jumped out of the truck and took a spin up the hill and a little gully, where I found an old scrape. I did not find any gold, and that does NOT mean the spot has been written off. I will no doubt go back with the GPZ. But if I had found even a spec with the GM1000 I would have already been back. Now it is just a place on my list to revisit sometime. I would never write a place off just because I could not find gold with a GM1000, but my interest sure goes up if I do!

The bottom line is the GPZ is my main machine and so detectors like the GM1000 only get used for oddball jobs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...