Gold Monster Shaft Too Long For Me

I'm using the GPX shaft and coil mounting hardware on my Gold Monster. The telescoping shaft has always been a favorite of mine; since I'm a shorty, I can adjust it to just the right length. And instantly collapsing it to easily fit in the truck cab is a plus. 

IMG_0865.thumb.JPG.ee7115da18ccfd58b68082d110923458.JPG

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

On 6/22/2017 at 1:44 AM, kiwijw said:

That shaft was actually off a GP Extreme but I was given the choice, when I bought the 3000 from new, of the two piece or three piece. I liked the option of the three piece for breaking down smaller for back packing into remote spots

I currently have my Gold Monster mounted on one of those very same three piece rods for the early GP models. The upper rod snaps together underneath where the GM1000 clamps on. Unfortunately Minelab quietly discontinued them. The new upper rods are the same length but are a solid piece. Works fine also but does not break down quite as far due to the length.

minelab-gold-monster-1000-on-sd-gp-gpx-rod-assembly.jpg

minelab-gold-monster-upper-rod-joint.jpg

• Like 1

Steve - I see you've tried multiple telescoping methods.   I ran across the "Golden Mask Rod Adaption" that you wrote up, also.  I am curious which worked better ... the gpx rods in the current thread or the thread from before (see below).  I am looking for something I can throw in a backpack (maybe even while running the ZED).  Thx!

I started with my old Minelab three piece rod. Then I went to the Golden Mask rod as a "project" and because it collapsed down shorter.

The bottom line is I prefer the Minelab telescoping rod for most use. It is easily adjustable for length and collapses quickly down short enough to toss in my truck.

I still have the Golden Mask rod also, and one really nice thing about the Gold Monster is I can make the rod swap in minutes. The Golden Mask "twist lock only" is not quite as secure as the Minelab "twist lock with locking pins" arrangement and the Golden Mask lowermost rod section has a slight amount of flex. I decided to use the Minelab rod for all but backpack type situations where I may want to be getting the GM1000 in and out of a rucksack a lot. Other than that the Minelab adjustable rod suits me a little better for normal use.

• Thanks 1