Makro New JeoHunter 3D Dual System

Can anyone tell me how the Minelab GPX 5000 or Garrett ATX would compare to a Makro New Jeohunter 3d dual systems.. they seem to have a nice graphical display and they boast detections at 1.5 meters... Whats the truth in comparison??

See video on this page..http://www.metaldetector.com/makro-jeohunter-metal-detector

Thank You,
Greg

Depth needs always in proportion to size of target. With a large coil and my GPX 5000, I can detect an an automobile at about 5 meters. With a small gold nugget and the same detector, I may only be able to see it at 10 or 15 cm. So what is the detection depth of the GPX 5000? Is it 5 meters or only a few cm? just depends on what the target is.

• Like 1

Very interesting, Good info.. Thanks. .. So I am getting it may not be that much better.. But bigger coils can reach further down. but then they will be bigger and heavier and less convenient.... I guess there is no revolutionary technology yet that can really do anything crazy... I thought there might be some powerful system maybe you could tow behind an atv or such that may be able to really search thorough.. What I really think lacks that I can see is taking advantage of todays technology with Ipads.. They can pair up a detector with an Ipad and use the screen on them instead of those big boxes... Well OKM, and gravitator also look interesting.. but maybe not that much better..   I did just buy the ATX... so unless anything revolutionary comes out. that will do.. :)

Hi Greg,

Not only not much better, but not as good as. Unless you have money to burn stick with units others have proven can be used successfully for whatever task you envision.

Rough rule of thumb is that at least so far when it comes to prospecting a screen is of little use except for making menu selections, or in the case of a VLF detector, displaying a target id number. Most nugget detecting simply focuses on hitting a gold nugget  of any size as deep as possible, and all that is needed for that is an audio indication. I can assure you serious gold prospectors will spare no money getting the best, and a good place to watch in general is Australia. Whatever most people use there gets used for a pretty simple reason. It works. And if something better comes along, people are pretty quick to jump on it.

Right now the machine of choice would be the Minelab GPX 5000 and bang for buck the Garrett ATX. Except for tossing a gold nugget in their ad to imply the unit can be used to look for gold the Makro units seems to offer nothing of interest to most nugget hunters.

The ATX is a very capable and underrated detector. Best of luck with yours!