Video - XP DEUS Elliptical HF Coil

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/23/2017 at 3:37 PM, kiwijw said:

Wouldnt that high frequency read off his hand waving it over the coil in locating his target?

That might be going on in a part of the video where he waves hand full of dirt over coil and comments how it always sounds off because of "iron in the soil". Probably his hand.

The video mostly demonstrates responses on a Roman site using coin type settings. However, Gary does say that the coil is designed for nugget detecting, and gives the Deus a spin employing Program 10 - Gold Field - starting at 14:38 in the video. He uses his own settings which may or may not be the best for nugget detecting but I wanted to note them here since Gary knows the machine better than most anyone at this point. I have noted the default Gold Field settings in parentheses so you can see what Gary modified.

Gary's UK Gold Field Settings

Program 10 - Gold Field
Frequency - 74 kHz
Sensitivity - 86 (95)
Threshold - 2 (0)
Audio Response - 2 (2)
Reactivity - 3 (2)
IAR (Iron Reject) - 5 (0)
Manually Ground Balance

From the XP Deus V4 Owner's Manual, page 6:

GOLD FIELD uses another detection method designed for searching highly mineralised ground which is often where gold nuggets are found. In these conditions, targets can be seen as ground mineralisation or ferrous objects, especially when they are deep. To go deeper in these difficult conditions, the "Gold Field" program uses a true All Metal mode that allows you to accept a zone of ground that is usually not available. Instead of rejecting all the ground values below a predefined value (as on conventional detectors), it rejects only the specific value of ground in which you are searching, which means you have to adjust precisely. To facilitate the ground balance (essential in this program), pressing the pinpoint button will make an immediate acquisition of the ground value within one or 2 pumps of the coil.

In this program certain settings are not active or are replaced by the another specific setting such as:

- The IAR discrimination (Iron Amplitude Rejection): A range of discrimination that can be applied from 0 to 5. It applies only to targets that produce strong signals – typically shallow ferrous items. It will not reject deeper targets which may come across as ferrous when they are buried in mineralised ground to ensure good targets are not rejected by mistake.

- The pinpoint button instead acts as an instant "Ground Grab" button. There is no pinpoint function in the Gold Field program.

The digital target display is active, this allows the operator to work in All Metal mode with a visual recognition (valid on shallow targets).

xp-deus-with-5x9-elliptical-hf-coil.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2017 at 4:44 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, this video is not nugget detecting but it as close as I can get so far to the Deus elliptical coil so it will have to do....

Really nice video. I am just starting to get into metal detecting so I will be watching more videos on your channel. Thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

So frustrated. Already have the 9 round HF coil (ordered both round and elliptical at same time) but been waiting on backorder for the elliptical for 2 weeks, second box finally came and they accidently sent me a second 9 round! so gotta send it back and wait for the elliptical again.ughhh

Guest Tnsharpshooter
5 minutes ago, 57buick said:

So frustrated. Already have the 9 round HF coil (ordered both round and elliptical at same time) but been waiting on backorder for the elliptical for 2 weeks, second box finally came and they accidently sent me a second 9 round! so gotta send it back and wait for the elliptical again.ughhh

Sorry to hear.

That video makes me think, I forgot to go back and check the other day. I was just using the stock coil and occasional would come across an obviously large piece of iron which rings up in the high 90's because its so big. You can usually tell its large iron because of how large an area it detects it.

Wonder if using the HF coil at 74khz would distinguish the large iron any differently? still just have to judge by the size of area its picking it up?

Had a brief encounter with the HF coil at a local rally.

Just a question for Steve, how would you discribe the threshold. Digitized sounding or smooth as butter? At the rally there were so much cellphones and EMI going on I couldn’t really tell.