Hi, hoping one of the Gold Bug Pro brains trust could give me their opinion please?

I'm new to detecting & was wondering about the ground balance number and the ground phase number in the middle of the screen. In order to ground balance I'm pumping the coil up and down whilst pushing the GG button and most often the ground phase number and ground balance number match closely pretty quickly, however.....once I get started sweeping again the ground phase number (in the screen centre) jumps all over the place. Is this normal? Or should after I've ground balanced, the phase number pretty much remain the same? 

I've read through the manual and I think I'm doing everything correctly, just not sure if an erratic phase number is right? I was in all metal mode, both dials at 12:00 and up on dry sand. 

Thank you 

Welcome to the forum!

As long as the detector is acting properly ground balanced (little or no response when coil raised and lowered to ground) then I would not worry about it. Ground and even individual rocks are not homogenous. In theory if the ground phase strays too much and too consistently from the ground balance setting it is time to ground balance again. In reality however it is the audio responses that best clue you to this. Just bounce the coil over the ground, and as long as it does not respond dramatically you are good to go. If in doubt however, you punch that "Ground Grab" button.

• Like 3

I've used the GB Pro and F19 for years now and came up with my own routine for maintaining ground balance. When detecting in  mineralized ground (most gold districts) I got into the habit of every  10 or so swings, hitting the GG while pumping the coil a couple times, 10 more swings and then repeat. After a while you don't even have to think about it and it works well for me. If the ground is super hot and nasty you would have to ground balance much more often but at that point I just go and get the PI.   Good luck!..........Rob

• Like 1

Hiya Steve!

i was secretly hoping you'd reply being a Gold Bug Guru ?!  And thanks for the fast reply. 

Okay so I need to clarify what "little or no response when coil is raised and lowered to the ground" is please? So sorry about the noob questions.  Sound? numbers? 

When I'm pumping the coil up & down both numbers jump around a bit & then they even out, this is when I press the GG button. As soon as I release it & start sweeping, the ground phase no is totally different- eg: let's say I ground balanced at 42, my ground balance number will still display 42 but the ground phase might jump from 7 to 50 to 30,its like it doesn't know what it's reading and it's not even with the ball park of the ground balance no.  

So utimately I'm thinking I have to re ground balance every few steps??? ?

The sound of the detector seems to remain the same hum though. 

Thanks Steve 

Thanks Rob great tip! ??

Perhaps that's what I need to do.  I was at the beach so maybe this is why the ground phase number was going crazy?! 

As a novice to the whole ground balancing thing I really feel like I need to know if my detector is working as it should be or if it's operator error ?Haha!

A perfect ground balance would have absolutely no audio change when the coil is raised and lowered over the ground. If audio is produced such that it sounds like a target when you sweep the ground, you need to work with the ground balance and sensitivity. In a perfect world you eliminate ground effects with these controls. However, the worse the ground (worse meaning you have to keep playing with detector controls) the more often you have to adjust. I have been on a lot of ground where I can set the ground balance in the morning and forget it.

And then you have Rob's ground - every ten feet.

Remember, ground balance is about obtaining a smooth threshold sound. If you achieve that, numbers flashing mean nothing really. You actually do not need the screen. I can tape over the screen and run the machine just fine.

• Like 2

The ground phase number is always reading the ground and changing despite having a proper gb. One tip i always used is, if you go over some hotrocks, they will transmit a audio signal and possibly a very high or low target id. But during then the ground phase will jump around like normal. But if it is any metal, the ground phase number will drastic drop lower towards 0. Usually somewhere between 0 and 20. If it is a hot rock it will not drop towards zero. Youll just hear the zip zip like a signal. Ground phase is not a target id but can be used to identify a hot rock or metal. I had this happen hundreds of times before i received any target id for the metal for it was still out of range for the target id to identify.  I dont remeber ever finding one hot rock that made the ground phase drop towards 0. Other then that, what everyone else said also was helpful. Good luck

• Like 1
22 hours ago, californiagold said:

But if it is any metal, the ground phase number will drastic drop lower towards 0. Usually somewhere between 0 and 20. If it is a hot rock it will not drop towards zero.

I think there are exceptions both ways. Part of that depends upon your definition of 'hot rock'.  Negative hot rocks (also called 'cold rocks' by some) have ground phases higher than the quiescent ground phase.  Postive hot rocks do the opposite.  I have a couple very large (near bowling ball size with masses in the 9-13 kg range) positive hot rocks which are so conductive that they give a TiD of 40 with the discrimination circuit and a phase shift value of 0 in All Metal.  One of these appears to have a very high concentration of graphite.  The other, I don't know its composition.

Also I've noticed that metallic conductive targets at the edge of detection in All Metal mode (and thus out of detection range on the discrimination side) can have phase shift values greater than 20.  But I do think in the vast majority of cases your rules-of-thumb hold.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Fisher Research originally released the 19 kHz Gold Bug model about 1987. It was a real breakthrough design at the time with a compact control box, S-rod, and elliptical coils. The detector is a good unit but is strictly all metal (no discrimination). It has no LCD readout and looks much like the current 71 kHz Gold Bug 2 but has a white lower rod and a black control panel face. Some people are confusing this old model with the new so be aware of this when looking at used detectors. The 19 kHz coils for the old Gold Bug will not work on newer versions of the Gold Bug below. The 71 kHz Gold Bug 2 is a totally different detector than the various 19 kHz models described below.
      Around 2010 a number of new Gold Bug models were released by Fisher. First came the Gold Bug in 2009. Then came the Gold Bug SE (Special Edition) which added manual ground balance at a bargain introductory price. The SE with minor tweaks later became the Gold Bug Pro at a higher price. So now we have two basic versions, the Gold Bug and the Gold Bug Pro. They differ from the old 1987 model by having an LCD readout. The standard version of either detector comes with a 5" round coil. There is a Gold Bug DP (Deep Penetrating) which is nothing more than a Gold Bug Pro with an 11" x 7" DD elliptical coil instead of a 5" round DD coil.
      The only difference listed by Fisher between the Gold Bug and the Gold Bug Pro is that the Gold Bug Pro has a manual adjustment option for the ground balance and also offers "higher sensitivity".
      Both models use a "Ground Grab" button as a simple ground balance method that is quite effective. The Gold Bug Pro allows you to also manually adjust the ground balance setting up or down. The manual adjustment can be used in conjunction with or separately from the Ground Grab button.
      The big question is the "higher sensitivity" claim. There are two possibilities here. First, that the Gold Bug Pro actually allows for higher gain or sensitivity levels. However, I was in marketing too long and have a more jaded thought. Manual ground balance allows for a higher degree of control that if used properly can get you more sensitivity. There is a very distinct possibility the higher sensitivity claim follows directly from the ability to manually ground balance the Gold Bug Pro. This could be tested with both units set side by side with identical ground balance settings and max gain. If the Gold Bug Pro is inherently more sensitive an air test should show it. I have not had the chance to do this my self but if somebody wants to there you go.
      ads by Amazon...
      My opinion? I believe the Gold Bug and the Gold Bug Pro if outfitted with the same coil are basically the same detector. The only real difference is the manual ground balance option on the Gold Bug Pro. Do you need it? Not really, and especially when you consider that for $499 vs $649 that is probably all you are getting. The Ground Grab function is remarkably effective and would suit most people just fine.
      I personally do like manual ground balance and so for me spending the extra money to get it is a non-issue. I do as a rule tell people that if cost is not an issue get the Gold Bug Pro. It is far more popular and would be easier to resell. But in all honesty I think the Basic Gold Bug is the real bang-for-the-buck unit. There is nothing else close to it at the $499 price point that offers full LCD readout target discrimination while in full power all metal prospect mode.
      I should note that First Texas owns both Fisher and Teknetics. The Fisher Gold Bug DP (Gold Bug Pro with 11" coil) is marketed by Teknetics as the G2. The Fisher Gold Bug DP goes for $699 and the Teknetics G2 is $749. The $50 extra gets you a pistol grip rod instead of the Gold Bug S-rod and an arm strap. Nice gray paint scheme also. Really boils down to pistol grip vs S-rod, purely a personal preference thing.
      I use the 5" x 10" elliptical myself and consider it to be the best all around coil for the Gold Bug. However, right now you have to get it as an accessory or as part of a two coil package. Fisher would be doing us a service to release the Gold Bug with this coil as standard on the unit.
      My Gold Bug 2 is slightly better on the tiniest of gold but the Gold Bug Pro easily outperforms the Gold Bug 2 on larger nuggets at depth. For all around nugget detecting the Gold Bug or Gold Bug Pro (and G2) have a better balance of both small gold and large gold capability than the Gold Bug 2.
      Fisher Gold Bug Pro & Teknetics G2 Detailed Comparison
      To recap first came the original 1987 era Gold Bug with knobs and switches:

1987 era analog Fisher Gold Bug
      Then in 2009 we got the new Gold Bug:

Fisher digital Gold Bug
      Followed quickly and briefly by the Gold Bug SE. Note how the plus and minus buttons now have dual functions, both Disc and Ground Balance, compared to the basic Gold Bug above:

Fisher Gold Bug SE
      The Gold Bug SE was basically the prototype for the Gold Bug Pro, which got a new faceplate decal and a higher price:

Fisher Gold Bug Pro
      And finally, the Gold Bug Pro was also marketed under the Teknetics line as the G2 with a different rod/handle assembly:

Teknetics G2
      Gold Bug Pro DP compared to Teknetics G2:

Click on images below for larger versions.....

• By Gerry in Idaho
      I get to share many more stories, photos and sometimes videos of amazing gold discoveries than the average person, mostly do to the fact I sell metal detectors and my customers are usually happy to share their Success stories.
      On occasion I get to see some finds that I can never show or share as the finder has asked that of me.  Boy has there been some crazy amounts of gold being recovered with detectors still.  Sure wish I could tell you all but I'd then piss off some of those who take me for my word and I'd prefer not to lose that friendship.
      My question is, what do you folks do when you find something substantial?  Is it best to keep amongst your few inner circle or is it ok to let everyone know?
      Yes I want to share MD'ing finds as I sell detectors for a living, but also, I have personally been walked over for giving out to much info.  I try to walk a fine line and keep everyone happy, if it's possible.
      I myself have been fortunate and found a few trophies and even caught a couple on video, but after viewing the video, realized the video could cause a mini gold rush.  
      Do you share and tell all or keep most of your finds to yourself?
      I really don't think there is a right/wrong answer?
      Thanks for your input.
    • By tvanwho
      big seeded hunt coming up in 2 weeks in central indiana and all I have is my old Headhunter Diver water machine. Thick mowed grass hunt. Should I get something with a small coil like an old Tesoro Compadre or Ace 250 or? Will I need my Garett Propointer or just eyeballs to pinpoint? And I do have tennis elbow right now, what to do about that as well? Wear a compression band around elbow and forearm? I know my Garrett Propointer sometimes picks up interference from the Garrett Ace 250 which would be bad news in a speed hunt.
      Any tips on competition hunting appreciated. Do I need headphones, full earcups or the little foam ones?
      Thanks.
      -Tom V.
    • By George1971
      Hello everybody, I have 2 questions today.

First, I would like to inform me if there is any trick to understand the mineralization of the ground that you are about to search with your metal detector in the fields and in the woods.

Second, I am a minelab safari owner, (I am interesting about coins and jewelry mostly) and except the stock coil (11’’), I also have the Mars MD sniper coil (10’’X 6’’). What would you recommend for bigger coil? Consider that except fields and woods, I do a lot a lot a lot of beach metal detecting. I want something deeper but not losing in target separation and if it is possible the less effect of ground mineralization and iron masking.

I was thinking about mars md tiger (13’’x 10’’), mars md discovery (13’x13’’), nel tornado (13’’x12’’) and nel thunder (14.5’’x10.5’’).

I am waiting for your recommendations. Thanks.

• By EasyEd
      Hey All,
      I posted my one an only post in May and I was looking at potentially buying an ORX or a 800 NOX. My uses would be roughly 2/3 gold 1/3 everything else. Here in Canada the prices are about $100 Can different. I was leaning toward the ORX due to its higher frequency response light weight and simplicity of use. But then life and COVID and closed US Canada border stepped in and I have procrastinated in buying one or the other. Trouble is this has given me more time to think about it.
      The apparently note I said apparently  overwhelmingly underwhelming use of ORX in the goldfields has given me pause. The continued development of NOX 800 has given me pause. Thinking harder about what I want to do has given me pause. For example an ORX in a riverbed (say the kettle in BC/WA) in the water (not deep) some - is this a good idea?
      Why has the ORX not apparently been well accepted? Lack of water proof? Lack of tweaking controls? Expense of additional coils? Does the NOX 800 absolutely do everything the ORX does plus more flexibility? What?
      Now I'm wondering if a two detector set up might be better say gold kruzer and vanquish 540 together about $300 more than NOX - certainly affordable. A gold machine and a more versatile than the kruzer from what I can tell machine in the vanquish.
      Man these choices are confusing...
      -Ed-

• By Steve Herschbach
      I have a 1990s era Fisher Gold Bug, the original 19 kHz analog version, long since replaced by newer models. The old 19 kHz model was not particularly hot, but it did have an ability to ground balance out some hot rocks that newer and hotter VLF machines struggle with.
      The detector came with a 10" elliptical search coil. I have a couple very rare 3.5" round coils that Fisher made for these models before the little 4" x 6" elliptical replaced it. It's the smallest search coil I've ever owned for a commercially sold metal detector, making the unit into more of a probe than a normal detector.
      The threshold was cutting out if the detector was bumped, something loose, so it's been sitting idle for a very long time. I decided it was doing no good as is, and by chance had an opportunity to call Felix at Fisher recently. Felix is another old-timer in the industry like myself, who I have not talked to since I left my old dealership in Alaska over eight years ago. Anyway, since the detector is still actually functional Felix figured they could give it a good refurbish and fix whatever is loose.
      The main thing I wanted, however, was to get the detector tuned for the 3.5" coil. Most people do not know it, but analog Gold Bugs are hand tuned for every coil. The coil they ship with is tuned for the detector, or should I say the detector is tuned for the coil. Accessory coils may or may not be a perfect match if the original coil is swapped out for something else. Long story short is I am asking them to match the detector to the 3.5" coil as well as is possible.
      The original Gold Bug is a genuine classic. Prior to it, detectors were large square boxes with extremely poor ergonomics. The Bug features a very compact control box that is removeable from a S rod, enabling easy chest or hip mounting. The design seems normal now, but you have to have used what came before to see the genius of what Fisher did with the Gold Bug. 19 kHz was also a radically high frequency at the time, as people were just catching on to the idea that higher frequencies are better for small gold nuggets than the lower frequencies that were the norm of the time. The 19 kHz Gold Bug replaced the 4.5 kHz VLF-660 Mother Lode as Fishers top nugget detector. Frankly, Fisher was not seriously in the game prior to this point, with Garrett probably the leader in VLF gold detectors at the time. A new company named Minelab was just starting to sell detectors in Australia, and had yet to really make a name for themselves.
      Anyway, control box and coil boxed up and on the way to El Paso. I'll let you all know how long it takes and what the result is.
      Here is a picture of one of the coils. The Gold Bug coils first used a gray dual lead cable, which was replaced very early on with the stouter black cable used to this day. This is the older coil of the two, though it also has less wear. The one I sent in has the heavier cable but is in poor condition. I need to reinforce the coil ears when I get it back since one is cracking. But I decided I wanted to use the coil with the heavier cable, with this older one serving as backup until I sort this all out. And in case anyone is wondering, the old 19 kHz coils do not work on the newer digital versions of the 19 kHz Gold Bug.

3.5" round search coil for original analog Gold Bug
      To reiterate what a radical design advancement the Gold Bug was at the time, here is a picture of the detector it replaced, the 4.5 kHz Mother Lode...

Fisher VLF-660 Mother Lode metal detector
      And the new 19 kHz Gold Bug...