A Monster Afternoon

Lunk

A nice collection of nuggets Lunk. Well done.

In prior posts you and others have observed that even the little guys hit pretty hard. Did these nuggets respond crisply or subtlely? Any additional comments on the GM's nugget response profile?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mn90403 said:

It seems that you are given enough sensitivity that it can be overloaded.  Probably better than underloaded.

How is the discrimination?

We have an area where the ironstones sound just like gold to the 7000 and we have to dig everything.  Would the monster tell me the difference between an ironstone (grabbed by a magnet just like steel) and gold?  What if that ironstone had trace amounts of gold in it?

Mitchel

Mitchel, when the Monster is swamped it gives a distinct overload alarm so that you know to back off. And the iron discrim is excellent.

As far as how the Monster copes with hot rocks and ironstones in particular, see my previous post on the subject here:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Randy Lunn said:

A nice collection of nuggets Lunk. Well done.

In prior posts you and others have observed that even the little guys hit pretty hard. Did these nuggets respond crisply or subtlely? Any additional comments on the GM's nugget response profile?

Thanks Randy,

Even the tiniest pieces give a crisp response close to the coil, however at the edge of detection depth targets give a weaker response and many times only in one direction of the coil swing. These kinds of targets won't activate the gold chance indicator until the coil gets closer to the target. 

• Like 3

Lunk,

Thanks.  When you published that report I didn't really 'understand' the Monster language.  Now I do even if I don't own one.

If you can track out an ironstone and by some chance get an indication of a little gold in that rock ...

Hopefully more people will reread your report you linked to me.

Thanks again.

Mitchel

• Like 3

I should add here that the hot rock elimination seems to work best at the auto sensitivity setting of 11.

• Like 1

Gotta agree the hot rock elimination of the auto sensitivity 11 is pretty good. With its sensitivity setting range in both auto & manual and auto HF GB the Monster, as is, while not a competitor to the Z or PIs (except on shallow scraps) jcomplements them, suspect it may be the start of a new era for the VLFs. Certainly has brought back the VLF fun to my prospecting although certainly not a weight producer.

A challenge to the other manufacturers for sure.

• Like 5

It seems like the hot coil is the 5 inch round. Anyone been using the other 6 x 9 elliptical coil with any success or issues? BTW, my Gold Monster arrives July 3rd. Yippee. Klunker says we are taking the whole week off to go test it and report back to HQ. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2017 at 0:15 PM, TRINITYAU said:

Everyone pretty well knows that I love my GB Pro, however, I think I have a new favourite. I am still playing with the Monster but very impressed at this point

I hope we see you more around the forum Ray. I missed my Gold Bug Pro and picked up the Teknetics G2 version recently. Part of the rational there is that the Gold Bug Pro / G2 at 19 kHz performs as well as any machine I have ever used running 19 kHz and so it makes a good benchmark/comparison detector. I have more to do comparing the GM1000 and GBP/G2 but the GM1000 appears to easily meet or beat the G2 on gram type nuggets at a sensitivity setting of about 6-7. The G2 lower frequency does start to have an edge when the nuggets get up to around 1/4 oz and larger but for the run of the mill smaller stuff the GM1000 appears to be the hot ticket. Very preliminary stuff but my impressions mirror yours.

• Like 1