Sign in to follow this  
Deft Tones

Scouting For A New Patch

Wow, you spent a lot of time relaying this info to us, and I want you to know how much I appreciate your effort.  This is exactly the kind of thing that will help me.  I started my harem last year with two parks.  Both sites were either homestead farms or industrial sites back in the 1800's.  While still hunting the parks this year, I've added two schools built in first half of 20th C.  Unfortunately one of those turns out to be private, which I should have known/found out before hunting without permission...  :unsure:Surprising what I still don't know after living in this town for 35 years.

Please continue the reports.  Wish I had someone locally as experienced and throrough as you to show me the ropes.  I'd happily take you to my hunting grounds and watch you dig up treasure after treasure that I know I'm passing over, just to soak up the knowledge I would gain from that experience.

• Like 2

Thank you GB Amateur.

It always takes more time for these posts than it should because I create and peck them out on a tablet using the touch screen qwerty board, and with the unavailable to anyone Photoshop touch for Android devices.... it's painfully slow.

There was more detail I intended to explain when I started, but time curtailed that when I accidentally closed the nearly completed images without saving...Doh!

I am happy the effort helps someone. Kind words, Sir. Thank you.

• Like 4

That is a really great post - thank you for sharing your knowledge with forum members!

• Like 2

Very informative information about your through approach to hunting this area. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

Very informative essay.  Different ideas can really pay off.  Thanks.

• Like 3

I am eating this up!  Great post Deft... thank you.  This inspires me to be better about documenting my research and finds.  Looking forward to your next post.  Tim

• Like 3

Great post deft.... Your a lot more systematic than I am.... I look things over and get a kind of gut feeling for the area and go from there... 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Over the years, the XP DEUS has continued to evolve, especially with the FREE software updates allowing the user to benefit from our advancing technology without the need to buy a new machine.
      XP have been regularly introducing new accessories, such as the MI-6 pin pointer which connects directly to the DEUS, let’s not forget the super light and incredibly stable new HF coils which have taken the Deus to a new level.
      This month XP are pleased to announce the upcoming release of 3 new search coils for the DEUS accompanied by a new FREE version 5 update which will also be available soon.
      The new update allows you to accept and use the new X35 search coils and all their features listed above without the need to buy a completely new detector! Also the version 5 update includes some new features to the WS4 and WS5 wireless headphones, now they have become even more versatile!

WS4 / WS5 new features:
      Reactivity TX Power Automatic Ground Tracking Frequency offset (35 frequencies with the new X35) Iron volume Audio Response These new version 5 settings are active even if you do not have a new X35 coil. A nice gift for all DEUS owners who just use the headphones!
      Source: http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/blog-detection/en/update-deus/new-x35-coils-and-deus-v5-update/
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Over the years, the XP DEUS has continued to evolve, especially with the FREE software updates allowing the user to benefit from our advancing technology without the need to buy a new machine.
      XP have been regularly introducing new accessories, such as the MI-6 pin pointer which connects directly to the DEUS, let’s not forget the super light and incredibly stable new HF coils which have taken the Deus to a new level.
      This month XP are pleased to announce the upcoming release of 3 new search coils for the DEUS accompanied by a new FREE version 5 update which will also be available soon.

New XP DEUS X35 search coils
      The X35 search coils:
      Designed around brand new electronic advances, these new high performance and versatile coils will allow you to choose from a wide range of frequencies ranging from 3.7kHz to 27.7kHz. In total there are 35 available frequencies, based around 5 main frequencies that are quickly accessible.
      A new Boost mode is now an option on frequencies 3.7Khz to 4.4 kHz  and can significantly increase detection depth on highly conductive targets, such as large masses and large Silver coins. For added performance on such targets we recommend the larger coils such as the 34/28 cm (13” x11”) or the 28cm (11”) round coil. These new coils will be available as options at the same prices as the previous coils from the end of July 2018, and they will be supplied as standard with the DEUS from September 2018.
      X35 coil main characteristics: 
      Total of 35 frequencies – 5 main frequencies with 7 wide offsets 3.7 to 4.4kHz, 7.1 to 8.4kHz, 10.5 to 12.4kHz, 15.2 to 17.8kHz, 23.5 to 27.7kHz Selectable frequency offset without loss of performance. TX power adjustment is available on all frequencies and offsets Special Low frequency TX Boost feature: Normal or Boost option – The transmitted power has 2 selectable levels when using frequencies 3.7Khz to 4.4kHz. The BOOST mode significantly increases the transmission power of the transmitting coil, allowing greater detection levels if the soil conditions allow. TX boost is a special mode, the battery life of the coil may be reduced down to 6 hours. The overall battery life of the x35 coil has improved on most frequencies by +10% to +40% High frequencies 23- 27.7kHz – Excellent sensitivity to low conductive targets and small targets. Better overall stability The X35 coils are available in 22cm (9”), 28cm (11”) and 34 / 28cm (13” x11”) and will work with the DEUS in version 5. Source: http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/blog-detection/en/update-deus/new-x35-coils-and-deus-v5-update/
    • By Jackpine
      are starting to heat up.  I spent a couple hours at the sand bar this morning and managed a couple pieces.  Nothing to brag about as the stones in the ring are CZ's.   The hoop earring is silver plated.  There were 3 other hunters out and their finds were meager as well with only one gold ring being reported at this spot so far.  
      The wire mesh I had welded in the scoop worked a dream.  The earring back in the pic is just one of many tiny bits it captured saving a lot of time. 😉
      The nut

The heartbreak

It really felt good to get out and get started on this years "crop"!  👍
    • By Mike Hillis
      Hunting tiny gold jewelry in inland sites is just so different from mainstream detecting methods that unless you do it you don't understand the requirements.    
      #1.   EMI stability.   Your detector has to be stone cold stable.  No spurious noise.  None.  The signals you are after are small tight signals and you can’t hear them if your detector is making spurious noises.
      #2.   The detector needs to be able to keep its HOTs at low gain/sensitivity settings because:
      a... You need to be able to focus on the right depth of signals and those tiny signals are not deep.  Most of the time they are just down in the grass roots.   You want to focus only on the top three to four inches of depth.   If you have to run your sensitivity at or near max all you are doing is masking the desired signal response with reports from all the other signals surrounding it and below it.  And in cases where the ground minerals are high, the ground itself will mask the response.  
      b... You need to control the coil foot print.  In this type of hunting you don’t want coil edge surface responses.  You only want to hear what is directly under your coil.   Concentric coils work better at this than DD coils.  DD coils are ok but you get better footprints with concentric and tighter readings on your meter.
      #3.  The higher the operating frequency, the more important the above become.  As the operating frequency goes up, the level of discrimination goes down because the trash targets hit harder and sound better.   In other words, the higher the operating frequency the better the trash sounds and responds.
      #4.  Notch discrimination or some other form of discrimination that will allow you to focus just on the signal range you are hunting.   The only range of signals you are interested in are in the ferrous/non-ferrous boundary range and the foil range up to maybe the nickel reading.   All other signals are distractions.
      I'm editing to add a number #5.   Tiny signal audio boost is a big plus if it can be deployed while keeping original signal response integrity.  
      I'll close with this.....You can take a gold prospecting unit onto a woodchip playground or a sand pit and as long as it can handle the EMI you can hunt with it on normal settings.  But if you are targeting sites  where good quality, tiny jewelry is most likely to be present, you will be working a lot of turf sites where a prospecting detector's normal feature set isn't going to be very helpful. 
      HH
      Mike
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Published on Jun 8, 2018
      We are proud to share with everyone the XP Deus Team USA Metal Detecting Show Episode # 2! The response to Episode #1 was overwhelming and we believe this one is even better! XP Deus Team USA is a metal detecting show that features team members from across the U.S. who use the XP Deus, one of the top metal detectors on the market. If you love detecting you will love the show!

• By Randy Dee
      This post is mainly directed to UK field detecting where we have had social open air gatherings since Medieval times and on fields littered with coke. I used these settings yesterday and I was hopeful of finding at least one gold necklace / chain but alas none, better luck next time.
      As most of us know it is almost impossible to find a fine gold chain with any metal detector and as it is a long story why but mainly due to Eddy Currents and the metal detector rejecting coke which fits into the same frequency range as thin and fine gold and as here in the UK we find our permission fields littered with coke which mostly emanates from the days of steam engines powering farm equipment and the spreading of night soil as a crop fertilizer and which was collected from house middens and where the ashes from the household coal fires was used to cover the stinking human excrement, these ashes contained large cinders which survive for donkeys years in the soil and give off wonderful signals for metal detectors.
      This information on how to adjust the Tone Breaks to enhance the chances of finding gold chains during field detecting is only applicable to the Minelab Equinox 800 as it has the advanced settings capability.
      To alter the "Tone Breaks" it involves making changes to three "Target Tone Dependencies" which are "Number Of Target Tones", "Target Pitch" & "Target Volume".
      Here is my effort to change the settings to cover the frequency conductive range to give off a signal from thin gold chains in the discrimination zones, at present the default Discrimination zone is -9 to +2 and it is the Zero to +2 segment where gold chains show.
      So first of all select either "Field 1 or 2" your choice.
      Then go to "Target Tone" choose 5 tones.
      Then go to "Tone Breaks" and set the 5 tones as thus T1 = -9 to 0, T2 = 1 to 2, T3 = 3 to 28, T4 = 29 to 38, T5 = 39 to 40.
      Then go back to "Tone Volume" and set tone segments to T1 = 1, T2 = 15, T3 = 25, T4 = 25, T5 = 15.
      Then go to "Tone Pitch" and set the tone segments to T1 = 1, T2 = 15, T3 = 25, T4 = 20, T5 = 16.
      To move from from one tone segment to the next segment use the "Accept / Reject" button ( \//x ). These settings are working for me but then again they may not be every-bodies cup of tea.