Fake ATX ... Different Front Panels?

Shelton

Check my thread:

Link deleted since Findmall update broke all old links

This is weird.

Findmall does not allow links to eBay so your post there is going to disappear.  Here is the front panel picture from the eBay ad you find suspicious:

post-1-0-48912200-1414936708_thumb.jpg

And here is a picture from the factory of the same front panel:

post-1-0-41058100-1414936774_thumb.jpg

Now, the part I am missing - what do you think is suspicious? All I am seeing is a poorly lit photo on eBay versus a photoshopped image from the factory.

Price is too high at $1700 anyway. Lots of almost new used ATX detectors for sale. Here is one on Findmall for $1400 Link deleted since Findmall update broke all old links and another one for $1650 Link deleted since Findmall update broke all old links

No. Steve. This fake panel has not flanel led indicators... factory version is tottaly flat. This not. Check battery status indicator.

Or this is old version... I'm not sure.

The factory image you are referring to is either a Photoshop fake or a preproduction glossy decal of the front panel. The real front panel is not smooth, it is textured plastic and the battery indicator does indeed have a little square bump or protrusion. At least, mine does!

Mine is almost flat... ok maybe some units has more bumpy surface of front panel and of course you have right... photoshoped photos.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, phred01 said:

Absolutely gutted bought mine 2nd hand @ the time there appeared no counterfeits around. Is there any other way to confirm my one is genuine?

There is no reason to be “absolutely gutted.” I would call Garrett with your serial number for starters. But unless you have good reason to think it is a fake, I would assume you have a genuine unit. There really is no reason to worry about it unless it is not working properly.

Note that the consensus in this thread was that the unit under discussion was genuine. Counterfeiters go after hot selling models, and the ATX is a less popular niche detector not really targeted in that way. Your unit is far more likely to be genuine than a fake unless you got it for a killer price from a Chinese online seller.

https://www.garrett.com/counterfeit-notice

• The title was changed to Fake ATX ... Different Front Panels?