Fake ATX ... Different Front Panels?

Shelton

got caught many yrs ago with a gpx 5000  BTW Alibaba is selling the look alike claiming USA as the country of manufacture Garrett atx bought in '17 2nd hand on Gumtree where is the serial # located

If it’s not obvious looking the detector over try looking in the battery compartments or remove the armrest and rod and look in that area. I’m not entirely sure and it may have moved over the years but Garrett would of course be able to tell you.

• The title was changed to Fake ATX ... Different Front Panels?
On 6/5/2020 at 11:27 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

If it’s not obvious looking the detector over try looking in the battery compartments or remove the armrest and rod and look in that area. I’m not entirely sure and it may have moved over the years but Garrett would of course be able to tell you.

Found it sent Pix to Garrett for verification

Having not seen a genuine unit @ Garrett dealer I just panicked that was done on Gumtree

Feel a little better and my unit does indeed decal is texture green similar colour to ATX body the Led's decal is not flat but slightly doomed and lastly the battery led has indeed  a little square protrusion.  I was also looking @Fisher gold bug pro on Fleabay and now suspect bargain units are clones! Another Fisher unit caught my eye was gold bug 2  The unit was released some time ago but new units are on sale as well Fleabay USA are these genuine?

Just got a reply from Garrett

Hi

I don’t have a match for that serial number (I only have access to the details of machines sold in Australia, so this may have come from overseas).

I’ll email the USA and see if they are able to assist.

Please note though, that if a machine were duplicated, it would be copied serial number and all.

The only way for me to verify the machine 100% would be to inspect it on my desk.

Regards

Roy Williams

Customer Support

GARRETT AUSTRALIA

4/54 Newheath Drive, Arundel, Gold Coast, QLD 4214

Tel: 1300 787-648   Fax: 1300 787-685

Email: support@garrettaustralia.com.au Web: www.garrettaustralia.com.au

garrett_australia_logo e-mail

Just had a reply from Garrett the serial number is legit but it still the jury is out if the machine is a clone. Only an inspection will resolve this question. I am going to a Garrett authorized dealer on a 200km trip to compare my unit to a known genuine one.  The alternative is to ship my ATX to Garrett 2k km away

Hi

The USA confirm they’ve produced a machine with that serial number.

Regards

Roy Williams

Customer Support

GARRETT AUSTRALIA

4/54 Newheath Drive, Arundel, Gold Coast, QLD 4214

Tel: 1300 787-648   Fax: 1300 787-685

Email: support@garrettaustralia.com.au Web: www.garrettaustralia.com.au

garrett_australia_logo e-mail

• Like 1

It has a serial number that was made, and I am assuming it works, so I’d be inclined to think it is genuine at this point. Unless for some reason it’s really bugging you or you just want to make the trip anyway. Rather than put it under a microscope doing simple performance comparisons with a known good machine would seem sufficient.