1715 Spanish Fleet Lease Areas

Sounds good but you need a better beach scoop.... That one looks hard on the back......just saying 

strick

The beach areas around the 1715 wreck areas (and you know where they are, but generally from Gold Beach to the North past Sebastian Inlet), are among the most highly regulated beach areas in the country - with good reason obviously - there have been many amazing finds both on the beaches and out in the lease areas. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, strick said:

Sounds good but you need a better beach scoop.... That one looks hard on the back......just saying 

strick

It has another section for the handle that makes it longer.  I just forgot to bring it that day.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

The beach areas around the 1715 wreck areas (and you know where they are, but generally from Gold Beach to the North past Sebastian Inlet), are among the most highly regulated beach areas in the country - with good reason obviously - there have been many amazing finds both on the beaches and out in the lease areas. 

I don't advocate making the wreck areas a total free-for-all for anybody with a boat and a metal detector.  But something more reasonable like "no detecting with scuba gear" in those areas would make more sense.  The State of Florida lures in the tourists (and their dollars)  with websites like this: http://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/florida-beaches/florida-treasure-hunt-east-coast-shoreline-treasures.html and dangle Spanish treasure as bait (nearly every day!)  And let's face it, the chances of those tourists actually finding anything on the beach except crusty pennies are slim, at best.

Only two sentences on the whole page even mention the fact that you can't wade in ankle-deep with a detector. "Treasure salvors still have leases to search the waters, so stay on the beaches beyond the surf line." and "Not only do finds large and small continue on a daily basis, you get to keep what you find while metal detecting Florida beaches (note that this is on the beaches only; not in the dunes, the water or any state parks) for a few miles north and south of Sebastian Inlet – the epicenter of what’s become known as the Treasure Coast."  So, what exactly, does "a few miles north and south" cover?  2 miles?  10 miles?  And to me, the first sentence kind of implies that water detecting in NON-LEASED areas is ok.

You would think that the state could at least provide a map of off-limit areas, or come right out and say "no detecting in the water", if that's the case. Of course, that might discourage some of those treasure seeking tourists, and we can't have that, can we? 

Ya'll have a nice day, and stay safe if you're out there swinging a detector.  It's hot, so drink plenty of water and take rest breaks.  Heat exhaustion can sneak up on you really quick if you're busy having fun!

Ammie

• Like 1

Hi Ammie,

The only time you have a real chance of finding anything from the 1715 fleet is during a hurricane or an exceptionally strong storm that cuts the beaches down a very long way. Over the years as you probably know, the dune line on A1A has eroded back quite a bit as well. At the colored beach site, the only time the old timers get excited is when the cut is so deep, the old highway starts to show. Best of luck…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

Hi Ammie,

The only time you have a real chance of finding anything from the 1715 fleet is during a hurricane or an exceptionally strong storm that cuts the beaches down a very long way. Over the years as you probably know, the dune line on A1A has eroded back quite a bit as well. At the colored beach site, the only time the old timers get excited is when the cut is so deep, the old highway starts to show. Best of luck…

I probably won't even waste my time on the Treasure Coast, Flak.  The only Spanish gold I'll be hunting will be the rings that fall off the tourists from Spain vacationing at Cocoa Beach. :wink:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This does not address your question directly, but I found this Q&A on the Florida Division of Historical Resources regarding Underwater Archeology interesting.  Chapter 1A-31 of the Florida Administrative Code is hard to understand (at least for me) but I cannot help but wonder if the folks at 1715 Fleet - Queen Jewels LLC aren't just throwing a bit of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) around to protect their interests.  Certainly their responses to your questions carry a little bit of a bullying tone.

http://dos.myflorida.com/historical/about/division-faqs/underwater-archaeology/

Here are a few excerpts:

Q: I'm a diver who is interested in discovering treasure. I was told that I need to get a Treasure Hunting Permit. Is this where I get one?
A: No. Treasure hunting in Florida has been popularized to the point where many people think that every shipwreck in Florida waters has treasure or provides clues to where treasure may be located. This just isn't true. Florida shipwrecks range in time and use, from the Colonial Era through the Early American and Civil War periods to the modern era. A shipwreck's true "treasure" is derived through public participation and interpretation.

Some companies have applied for and received Exploration and Recovery Permits as administered by Chapter 1A-31, Florida Administrative Code. The State of Florida will issue an Exploration or Recovery Permit after the applicant has met the stringent archaeological requirements.

Q: Is metal detecting prohibited on state property?
A: Metal detecting on State land is generally prohibited with few exceptions. Many public beaches allow metal detecting between the high tide line and the toe of the dune. Beaches that are part of State and Federal Parks, Preserves, Sanctuaries, and military installations will have specific rules governing metal detecting; always consult with the park or property manager.

Q: I'm a diver who is interested in collecting artifacts from the rivers; is this legal?
A: State public lands include the submerged river bottom. The removal of artifacts from State lands is prohibited by Section 267.13, Florida Statutes, punishable with fines and either a first degree misdemeanor or third degree felony, depending on the circumstances. If you have discovered a site while diving in Florida’s rivers, contact our office and we can provide you with information regarding the site or, with your help, record a new site.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AER said:

This does not address your question directly, but I found this Q&A on the Florida Division of Historical Resources regarding Underwater Archeology interesting.  Chapter 1A-31 of the Florida Administrative Code is hard to understand (at least for me) but I cannot help but wonder if the folks at 1715 Fleet - Queen Jewels LLC aren't just throwing a bit of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) around to protect their interests.  Certainly their responses to your questions carry a little bit of a bullying tone.

According to the State of Florida, anything you find 50 years old+, even ankle-deep in the ocean is theirs. They get pretty nasty at the mere suggestion that someone could find and keep one of "their" artifacts. 

Me?  I NEVER find anything old.  My oldest crusty penny was minted in 1968.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1