GPZ 7000 Software Update 2 - Ground Smoothing & Semi Auto Ground Balance

I used the new update in the hot rocks and mineralized soil of the high Sierra for a few days and must comment the update is terrific, ground balance is faster and after running the coil over the ferrite ring and surrounding soil the ground noise for the most part melted away, this was true both on the first gb in difficult and a much better gb after switching to normal than before updating. I ran mostly; high yield, normal, sen-9, thresh-27 (will try 29 next time), audio smooth-off, vol-8, semi auto gb, everything was reasonably quite, switching to locate patch made everything very steady and subtle targets seemed to stand out against the background threashold better than with it off. The worst hot rocks still gave off a little high/low groan that was easy to differentiate from a compact metal type signal response. This was a great update for the conditions I was hunting (now if only the iron disc...). 

Need to put the coil over the yellow stuff as none this trip, still...the zed felt one with the force and I had little doubt I would hear the signal if it came.

cant wait for the next release, zed is getting so much better the next go should be sweet!!

• Like 3

I was kinda disappointed  with the locate patch filter on our local California Motherload red mineralized clay schist. In the past, the 7k was only operable in difficult ground setting, as every other swing results in a false signal using Normal ground setting.  Locate patch did not kill the false signals in the least, although at another patch with groaning ground,  the noise  was smoothed out nicely.

• Like 1

On the threshold at 29, I`ve found same even before this update for me tis important to keep that vol at 8 or lower, stops all that "internal machine" noise coming through and allows that stable threshold. JP on a few occasions has posted this, seems better to use an external booster rather than upping vol if you can`t get a stable threshold. But as always is a individual user thing I suspect.

• Like 2

Thanks for reporting that info davsgold, I was curious what would happen with that scenario- I also have a number of new find points and am concerned about my ability to get them to  x change 2 when the upgrade is available.

• 2 years later...

Uploaded a new (well sort of old) video I did, talking about my experiences of this software update. Semi Auto was the big thing for me, and when you find gold you kinda stick to what works.... 

• Like 1