Hunting In Coal Waste

Very nice going and super detective work. Great finds. thanks for sharing.

Great job on getting to the goods.....:smile:

Awesome story. I have a TDI pro and hunt beaches with it occasionally....in  black sand infested areas. Do you think that increasing the pulse delay a little would help in this environment? Thanks for the post.

strick

If you're having a lot of chatter from the black sand I'd raise it a little, but the coal waste I deal with is BB size and will attract to a magnet.  Raising the delay at my site allowed the signal from the waste to dissipate enough for the coins to be heard.  I'm still amazed at the TDI capabilities and also limitations. 

At the beach I try to run with ground balance off and delay of 10.  I have found if I bump the coil on the sand it will false.  I might add a sensitivity of 6 is enough and you'll still dig deep targets. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

If you're having a lot of chatter from the black sand I'd raise it a little, but the coal waste I deal with is BB size and will attract to a magnet.  Raising the delay at my site allowed the signal from the waste to dissipate enough for the coins to be heard.  I'm still amazed at the TDI capabilities and also limitations. 

At the beach I try to run with ground balance off and delay of 10.  I have found if I bump the coil on the sand it will false.  I might add a sensitivity of 6 is enough and you'll still dig deep targets. 

Thanks for the reply. I hunt the beach with the same settings as you but I'll try and play with some un dug targets next time and see what happens. The magnet in my scoop sometimes as an inch of black sand stuck to it lol

strick 

Only two Jeffies and both wartime (silver alloy)?  I like that ratio!

Thanks for the details -- I like seeing pretty pics, too, but I learn more when settings, etc. are reported along with the finds.  You said you first hunted high conductors only and then hunted low conductors only.  Do you ever hunt with no selection (so hear all) or is that noisier (signalwise, I mean, not sound volume)?

8 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Only two Jeffies and both wartime (silver alloy)?  I like that ratio!

Thanks for the details -- I like seeing pretty pics, too, but I learn more when settings, etc. are reported along with the finds.  You said you first hunted high conductors only and then hunted low conductors only.  Do you ever hunt with no selection (so hear all) or is that noisier (signalwise, I mean, not sound volume)?

I've tried all, but there's just to much to listen to. 

On 7/4/2017 at 7:28 PM, Mark Gillespie said:

A few things I've learned...

Nice..! Following along with GB_A's thoughts the silver is in most remarkable condition considering how long it's been buried.. Also, in case you haven't already done so I'd (re)check the '43 for the possibility of a 3/2 or a doubled die (for this item it will be a doubled eye..)

Swamp

• Like 2