Garrett Infinium- First Impressions

I wonder how it compares to the TDI in iron..........

• Like 1

On 7/7/2017 at 8:35 PM, MontAmmie said:

Well, the Infinium arrived this morning...
Ammie

Glad you like it.. Now you know why you couldn't have mine.. :biggrin: Works equally as well inland as it does in salt (see above..) Only thing I'll add is to not take all reverse signals as Gospel..

Swamp

• Like 2

On 7/8/2017 at 5:12 AM, Mark Gillespie said:

I wonder how it compares to the TDI in iron..........

Performance of the TDI and Infinium is close, but there is no ability to manipulate ground balance on the Infinium (it's automatic tracking plus "lock") directly which is one of the things that makes the TDI different. The TDI also generates a single tone, either high or low, depending on the target. The Infinium generates a dual tone in each target, high/low or low/high. This doubles the noise in dense trash, and there is no tone suppressing switch (referred to as a conductivity switch on TDI) so you always hear it all. The bottom line is the Infinium can find the same items as the TDI but has less tuning options and the nature of its audio response make it more challenging in dense targets.

The main Infinium advantages are waterproof and simplicity of operation. Garrett Infinium Tips & Tricks

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Glad you like it.. Now you know why you couldn't have mine.. :biggrin: Works equally as well inland as it does in salt (see above..) Only thing I'll add is to not take all reverse signals as Gospel..

Swamp

Al. your mono coils want to come hang out at the beach all day with me and my Infinium. :wink:

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Performance of the TDI and Infinium is close, but there is no ability to manipulate ground balance on the Infinium (it's automatic tracking plus "lock") directly which is one of the things that makes the TDI different. The TDI also generates a single tone, either high or low, depending on the target. The Infinium generates a dual tone in each target, high/low or low/high. This doubles the noise in dense trash, and there is no tone suppressing switch (referred to as a conductivity switch on TDI) so you always hear it all. The bottom line is the Infinium can find the same items as the TDI but has less tuning options and the nature of its audio response make it more challenging in dense targets.

The main Infinium advantages are waterproof and simplicity of operation.

Dense targets are not a problem on our beaches and in Montana!  I'm really glad I got waterproof, although I think I will need the 8 inch mono coil.  I got out about waist-deep yesterday and moving that 10x14 DD through the water was tough.  We did have some 2-3 ft waves, but that's just normal for here.

Thanks everybody, and especially Steve, for helping me pick my Infinium!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MontAmmie said:

Al. your mono coils want to come hang out at the beach all day with me and my Infinium. :wink:

I never got a mono.. For down here beachin' I didn't see the necessity.. There have been times I wish I had one, but truth be told that's mostly only after the power coil starts getting heavy..

If living in a different part of the country though...

Swamp

• Like 1