What's Your Pleasure In Batteries

We have some detectors that have a battery pack that has to be charged in the unit and others that can be removed. The only thing I dislike about the batteries that can't be removed is when this happens you don't have a working detector anymore. I know most have a long charge life but all have a limit on how long that will last. 

Now give me a detector that a battery pack that can be removed to be charged and have a pack you can drop in to keep detecting is in my opinion is the best way to go.

I'm sure everyone has their opinion and I'd like to hear yours.

Chuck

PS At this time I have just one Scuba Tector that batteries can't be removed

• Like 1

Lithium ion battery pack. Two for each detector is the way to go. It would be cool if they made one for the Garret Carrot. I guess I could just buy rechargeable batteries for it just have not got around to buying them. 

Lithium-ion packs for all my Whites detectors. Easily removed for charging. Bumping the TDI SL pack to a 4-cell really wakes up that machine. 16.8v instead of 12v. Doing that with my other Whites units would damage them, however, so run a 3-cell Li-ion in the GMT and DFX. Found a charger that lets me set the output voltage and current, so I can use the same charger with both packs. But, I need an extra pack for the SL....it only gets about 5 hours on a single charge. I plan on building another this winter.

Jim

• Like 1

I am guessing most of us got burned by Ni-Cad batteries. I don't know how many of them were going to save me money, but got tossed as going bad on the shelf over the winter or whatever. My DFX right now has a White's Ni-Cad system that is pretty much useless the life is so short. I use the standard AA pack and use separate rechargeable NiMH batteries instead. There is a lot to be said for going that way as I can toss and replace individual cells as they go bad.

New battery systems are far better now and I am finally starting to trust them more. I think most normal detectorists can do just fine now with built in rechargeable batteries like what we see in the Deus. Use detector by day, charge at night. Prospecting however involves remote locations, sometimes for long periods, and running your detector dead is no good unless you can slap another battery pack in and get on with business. My GPZ pretty much runs all day and gets charged each night, but I would not be comfortable without that spare battery in my kit - just in case.

I lean a bit more to the White's style drop in battery as opposed to the Minelab clip on battery, simply because the White's system protects the expensive battery more.

Something like a waterproof detector however does really benefit from a built in sealed battery. The best part will be when wireless charging comes to detectors, eliminating the need for a charger connection. This would help make waterproof detectors less leak prone.

• Like 2

I have an 8 cell charger that has an auto adapter so I can take it with me if I feel the need or going remote. Otherwise it stays plugged in at home.

I have plenty of NiMh packs so power to go is never in short supply. I have found the 2700 mAh cells work very well for the V3i and really last in the MXT.

• Like 1

Just received Li-ion battery & charger pack for SDC, comes recommended by a user I know. Two Li-ion batteries in holders just replace current C cells. Must be removed to charge and are a standard easy obtainable HG2 Li-ion batteries thus could carry a spare set no trouble.

Looks good for info go to http://www.SDC2300Upgrades.com