Which Mono Coil For Infinium?

Hi Ya'll!  Well, I'm in Tennessee this week visiting with the family, so all I can do is read the forum and look wistfully at tide charts 'til next Wednesday.  I'm shopping for a mono coil for water detecting when I get home.  That stock coil is pretty hard for me to control in our usual rough surf.  I've heard the 10'x14' is the best for beach/ocean, but it doesn't look any easier to sweep with than the 10' x 14' elliptical.  The 8' would probably be easy in the waves, but it looks like you'd give up alot of coverage area per sweep.  I've ordered a straight shaft, so that will probably help a bunch too.  I'm starting to see Steve's issue with the limited coil selection.  If only there was a 10" or even a 12"!  I'm leaning toward the 8" right now. It would probably be more useful in Grizzly Gulch, Montana for the small gold.  As always, thanks for any input.  You guys are awesome.

I faced the same quandary with my Infinium. The 14" mono adds a small amount of depth and is a little lighter than the stock coil. The 8" mono however packs surprising bang for the size and actually gets better depth on many targets. John did a test with a chart at Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links but the chart has gone missing - here is a copy I archived...

IMG_0520.JPGIMG_0521.JPG

• Like 2

I wonder how the stock coil would compare to the monos in the same test.  Thanks for the chart, Steve.  Which mono would you pick for moderately rough surf (waves are usually around 2 ft)?

I like the 8" mono personally and now that I have the ATX an 8" mono for it has been my favorite coil for in water use. It is light and maneuverable making it fun to use, with the bonus of easy pinpointing.

Air test of 8" mono versus stock coil.... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/353994-infinium-ls-air-test-8-mono-vs-10-x-14-dd.html

kauai2.jpg

• Like 1

I think I'm getting the 8".  Thanks, Steve!

• Like 1