Nugget Detecting At Nome, Alaska

Been there done that!

• Like 1

Long time lurker, first time poster here! Question for those who have been to Nome - is this a trip that someone who has little (gold detecting) experience has a chance of finding gold on? I live in Ohio and will likely be buying a GPX 4500 soon for relic detecting purposes, but there's obviously very little gold potential around here so it may be hard to get a lot of experience. What do you guys think?

Thank you, 

Drew

Hard to believe it has been 5 years since my mug was on the front page of the Nome Nugget newspaper. I still get goose bumps when I think about that day. The lure of that one great find is definitely one of the driving forces that keeps all of us motivated. Chances of finding that big one are slim, but they are still out there. That next target just might be the one that you have been hoping one day to find. I'd had a very disappointing day prior to the day I found that very rich pocket. I decided to give the area one more try for a couple of hours. If, in that time I didn't find any gold, I was going to put the detector down and run the high banker for the remainder of that day. I had worked the area for just a short time when I hit an iffy target. It was a one ounce nugget and was the "tip-off" piece that started what turned into an amazing day for me and my friends. By the end of the day, the four of us had recovered thirty-seven nuggets from that spot. Three additional nuggets were recovered from that same spot over the next two days. That brought the total to forty nuggets, and accounted for over half of the  thirty ounces that we ended the trip with!!! 

If you are wondering what type of detector I was using on that trip........Whites MXT w/8x6 DD coil.

Best of luck out there guys and gals!!!

Joe

• Like 3

14 hours ago, frozen_north said:

is this a trip that someone who has little (gold detecting) experience has a chance of finding gold on?

Absolutely. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees, and so the main draw should be the experience itself - an Alaskan adventure!