XP Deus Elliptical Coil Compared To Fisher Gold Bug 2 Coil

The new Deus HF elliptical coil has just slightly smaller dimensions than the 10" Gold Bug 2 coil. The Gold Bug 2 coil is solid and the Deus coil is an open web design. Even more important, the GB2 coil is a concentric as are all Gold Bug 2 coils. The Deus coil is a DD coil. This means the Deus has a more complex response on small shallow targets than the GB2 coil but the DD design may have advantages in more mineralized ground over the GB2 concentric coil.

xp-deus-hf-dd-elliptical-coil-versus-fisher-gold-bug-2-concentric.jpg

• Like 1

I think in this case it's just designer habit. That's how they made the other DEUS coils so they did the same on this one. A smooth solid design has less edges to catch, is easier cleaning, and in the long run will be more durable. It's like they wanted to make a prospecting coil but are still trying to appeal to their original user base.

After using a GPZ so much my first reaction on taking this coil out of the box was "it's so tiny!"

I am still struggling a bit with the daintiness of it all. The tiny Deus controller designed for small, clean fingers. Delicate little plugs, wires, and connectors. The little plug that connects the battery to the coil is smaller than any connection I have seen on any detector ever. It's good it does not need to be disconnected to be charged because the opportunity is really there for bending a pin or stripping the plastic threads.

It does perform however and at the end of the day that's all that matters. Every detector has physical design issues that we have to accept and work around.

I wonder how long it will take before a solid skid plate is available, if ever? I have a suspicion making one myself may be in order.

• Like 3

Back in the old days before they invented coil covers I used to cut a piece of plastic the size and shape of the coil and attach it with a large "rubber band" cut from a auto tire inner tube, crude but it worked. Nowadays there are probably better ways to build one.

• Like 1