Anyone know of any 1.8V AA rechargeable batteries with a high mah for sale? Trying to find something hotter to use in my TDI SL. Or how to go about using 4 of the Panosonic 18650 3.7v 3400mah batteries in the 8 battery box? Still waiting for Whites to have an upgrade available.

I use the enelope rechargeables from costco in my tdi sl as a backup.  My main battery is a modified AA battery pack that I crammed 4 of the 3400mah panasonic 18650's into.  Took some dremel work to make it all fit but it works like a champ.  Get around 6 hours on it compared to the stock battery that came with the sl that only lasts 4 hours.  The added voltage maybe gave the machine about 1/2" more depth if that but I wanted it more to keep it at a higher voltage than the 12v that the other batteries are at so it can run at peak performance for longer.  If you search online there are a few that you can buy already made if you don't want to go through the hassle of making your own.  My battery came out to be a little cheaper than the ones you can buy and I had left overs to make a few more.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Yea, i saw the ones on E-bay but i figured buying some AA's to use would be less than the $140 they want for the battery packs. Could you post a pic of how you modified yours to take the 4 18650's?

I basically copied riedmans battery, theres pictures on the 3rd page of the thread I linked.  I was able to find that pcb board and put it all together.  You have to get some extra thin abs sheeting to close it all up on both sides because the batteries and pcb board wont all fit in there without doing that.  If I did it again too I would probably try to get some kind of tac welder, it was a little difficult soldering the batteries, I was worried about overheating them but I eventually got it all together.

Thanks again. I will check out the link.

No problem.  Not sure if I'm allowed to post links to other forums on here so just search "Building a Li Ion battery pack for a Whites TDI SL?" and the first link on google is a post from when I was trying to figure out how to do it.  My second post on that thread has links to the pcb board that looks discontinued but you should be able to find it elsewhere or something similar.  

I will check it out. Thanks again. Wish i could just find some 1.8v AA's to use in the standard pack though. Sure would be easier. lol

2 hours ago, Rod K said:

Anyone know of any 1.8V AA rechargeable batteries with a high mah for sale? Trying to find something hotter to use in my TDI SL. Or how to go about using 4 of the Panosonic 18650 3.7v 3400mah batteries in the 8 battery box? Still waiting for Whites to have an upgrade available.

You can buy a 4 cell Li-ion pack, that includes a built-in balancer from a guy that goes by Reidman. Be aware that you will be at a higher voltage, when freshly charged, than the rating on the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply, which are only rated for 16 volts. The pack will supply about 16.8 volts when fully charged. I've used his pack for over a year with no problems. I don't have a link to Reidman....you'll have to do a search.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I found his units on e-bay.

3 hours ago, CA Gold Hunter said:

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links to other forum

PLEASE link to information information of interest to forum members no matter where it is. It saves me time as I end up adding the links myself as I did in your post. One reason I started this forum was the silly rules on other forums about links to other locations, etc. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the great info!

• Like 4

• The title was changed to 1.8v AA Battery?