Broke My Ferrite Ring

So, just one more issue during my Outing...

I have been in the habit of tossing my ferrite on the ground...foolish me. They break into many pieces...so no more tossing...

I wonder if the ring can be super glued back to one piece and function correctly? Or is it more like a metal ring that no longer gives the same signal once the circle is broke?

Or do I need a new one?

so many questions....

fred

Fred, not sure if re gluing effects performance, but if you get a new one,  wrap  with a bit of bubble wrap and tape to protect it, and you can continue to happily  toss it on the ground. It works for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gluing it back together is probably going to change it's values. To be honest I haven't used mine since after the first couple of times. I still question weather it improves detector performance in the areas that I hunt.

Fred, my brother did the same thing to his,he used a non metalic epoxy and gluded it back together it works just find, i would tell the name of the epoxy but i can not remember.

Off topic but sort of on topic as to where the thread is going :blink:

If you use semi-auto now do you need to re ferrite balance during a session considering the Z holds 100% of that info?  

What exactly is the benefit of semi-auto over fully auto?  

Mine (f ring) is wrapped in orange paracord that also has a 3/4" loop of extra cord I use to hang the ferrite off of my detector harness. The cord protects the ring and the bright orange color makes it easy to see on the ground.

• Like 1

Fred I know you didn`t ask this but, a few months ago I bought a couple of ferrite rings on ebay for 2.68 AUD, and Minelab say in their blurb on the ferrite ring, they recomend you use their one, but the real deal and the cheapy both seem do the same thing.  If I can hear one, I hear the other, and if I tune out one, it tunes out the other.   I still use the Minelab one, because it`s the Minelab one, but the cheapy seems to me to do exactly the same thing. Dave
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Pcs-33mm-x-19mm-x-11mm-Yellow-White-Iron-Core-Ferrite-Rings-Toroid-SY-/252300099205?epid=733722113&hash=item3abe41fe85:g:RHUAAOSwnbZYIUgr
SDC13653.jpg
gif image host

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By oldcoinhunter
      My first 6000 was faulty out of the box which they replaced with a new one. I've had the new one for 21 days and probably used it 8 days before it went bad.  When i was boxing it up to ship back i heard something rattling inside of it, not good. In researching i found that they've known them to have major issues since March or April, yet they have refused to address the issue with a production stop or at least look at the different production runs and recall those units. I think when it's all said and done there will be a substantial number of them that are faulty worldwide. As it stands now, Detector Center states that there is a" temporary" 10- 14 day time frame for repairing them. My bet is that it's not going to be temporary. If this failure rate continues there may be grounds for a worldwide class action lawsuit, who knows. Oh, and i owned a business for 40 years. Not a very smart way to run a business. JMO.
    • By Flydog
      I've had a Gold Bug for 5 or 6 months now. Intermittently when I press the "+" button to increase discrimination  it switches into pinpoint mode, will stay there until I release the button and re-press and will then work fine (usually). I've ensured my fat little finger is no where near the pin point button.  Been telling myself its likely just some software glitch, annoying, but I can live with it vs. sending it in for repair.  Part of me says "get it fixed before the warranty expires stupid". Well cooler weather is here and I will be sending it in.
      Just curious if any of you have had the same problem?
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Just an observation, been several GPZ 7000 for sale and sold for under US$5000 recently. I think we can all guess why. Some good buys though for those wanting max performance on large gold.

• By relicmeister
      I sold an essentially new 9” hf coil to a guy who tells me after first use that it won’t stay connected to the remote. Does anyone know what the problem could be? He also says it should have come with a charger but I’ve bought several XP coils and they don’t come with a charger. I’m going to suggest he re-enter the coil serial number and give the coil a full charge. Coil was perfect for me. 
    • By Rob Allison
      Hey Guys,
         Well its that time of year where most of the US Prospectors are searching for gold, in the Southwest at least.  I managed to get out this weekend with some friends, just roaming around some old stomping grounds in hopes to turn up a few bits missed years prior.  I was toggling between my GPZ 7000 with the NF 12" coil and my GPX 6000 with the 11" coil.  My other two friends were using the GPZ 7000's with the stock 14x13" coils.  
      Later in the day I can across some old piles left from prior mining and got a softer sounding signal and decided to investigate.  My friends both had a few dinks now, so I was behind on the gold count.  There's a lot of left behind rubbish in this area due to prior mining, hardrock and placering.  I figured it was just another deep nail or something, but as I got down deeper, the target was actually on bedrock below the pile.  I ended up scratching everything away from the bedrock and pinpointed the target in a crevice or depression (seen in picture below).  Low and behold, it was a nice gold nugget, 4.6 Dwt's, just shy of 1/4 Troy Ounce.  I was pleasantly surprised to say the least, didn't expect it.  
      I thought this would be good time to see if my Minelab GPX 6000 would hear this target with the stock 11" coil on it.  I walked back to my truck, got the GPX 6000 and hiked back to the target location.  I figured this would be a crude, but interesting test as there is so much debate on depth and how now many believe the GPX 6000 is better.  I fired the GPX 6000, balanced and make sure the EMI was good, then scanned over the target area with the nugget back in it's original location.  I couldn't hear a peep of a signal, which honestly is what I figured.  I didn't expect to find it, or hear it with the GPX 6000.  I played around with a few settings and even had my buddies come over to check it out.  They both scanned their stock coils (GPZ 7000 with 14x13") over it, both heard the target, but it was still faint (not a super obvious signal).  
      This is one reason it's hard for me to put down the GPZ 7000, I have found many nuggets at depth, but deal with the heavy, bulky unit.  I thought about going back and trying the 14" DD to see what it would have done, but for the most part, I never use the 14" DD, so it wouldn't have really proved anything to me, as I don't use it.  It would have been interesting to see what the 17" coil would have done, but I didn't have it with me.  I would think the 17" would have heard it.  
      I'm swinging the GPZ 7000 with the NF 12" Round coil 90% of the time, the GPX 6000 about 10% of the time.  There are some bedrock gullies I have revisited in years, so I'm looking forward to spending more time there with the 6000 and 11" Mono coil.  I think I also might be able to pack the GPX 6000 into a few canyons as I wasn't easily able to do that with the GPZ 7000.  
      Here are a few pictures below.  I didn't have a tape measure, but Doc's pick is 22" handle length.  I'm thinking between 18-20 inches was the true detection depth, but faint signal for sure. 

• By Dug2gld
      Again the tarsacci finds the deep brass today in a colonial site. Love the machine.  Old stuff including a thimble at about 15 inches down.  Having an issue with the pinpoint button sticking though. Anyone else have this issue??