Sign in to follow this  
madtuna

What To Do When The Weather Sucks?

Only 48ks. You sure it isnt 48 knots? 48 ks isn't even 30 mph. Just a light breeze. A gentle zephyr. Up over 100ks & it is getting up a bit. That's almost normal for Wellington. Not called windy Wellington for nothing :biggrin: Either way....hunker down. Lucky gold is heavy & it shouldn't blow away. Hopefully it will blow the desert sands off & you can walk out & find some sunbakers :laugh:

Madfish......what better way to spend a bit of down time from out in the field. Looks like things are panning out nicely for you. Awesome mate. Happy for you. Good karma for putting your mate onto some gold.

Good luck out there

JW:smile:

Knowing me..  :rolleyes: i wrote it down wrong.

all I know...  it was wiiinnndddyyyy :biggrin:

had to tie everything down.. pack up whatever was loose.

two mats did take off. Lucky they weren't blown away to far..

I will be looking for sunbakers

Heres the weather page I go by

IMG_3760.thumb.PNG.ebf01d915e4329ff04daac99233c8fe0.PNG

Edited by Jen58
Add page

2 hours ago, Northeast said:

Where are you Jen (roughly)?  My parents in law are in the shire of Sandstone slowly making their way back to Vic - wonder if they are getting the same?  They don't seem to have any phone/net coverage though.

Sorry for not answering sooner.. i missed your post.. 

We are Down below Leinster 

Hopefully they are parked up somewhere, as travelling in this wind wouldn't  be the best thing to do.

its now 8:03 and the wind seems to have settled down.. ( fingers crossed )

tomorrow"s weather will be much better.. going to get down to 4 degrees tonight.

top of 15 tomorrow .. and not as windy.. 

31 minutes ago, Jen58 said:

We are Down below Leinster 

I had to Google it but just a bit East south east of where they are - cool. 

Yeah, they are seasoned travelers so they'll be holed up somewhere.

I must say, when looking at that area on Google maps/satellite view it is really just many different shades of brown.  Our good old wide brown land :wink:

Hey there Sis, I was just taking the piss:biggrin: But 48 ks isnt  hugely windy. Looks like you are in for a bit of crap weather towards the end of the weekend & into monday. Make those sunbakers stand out more:biggrin: Your temps aren't too bad though.

Good luck to you & brother Mike.

JW :smile:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

Hey there Sis, I was just taking the piss:biggrin: But 48 ks isnt  hugely windy. Looks like you are in for a bit of crap weather towards the end of the weekend & into monday. Make those sunbakers stand out more:biggrin: Your temps aren't too bad though.

Good luck to you & brother Mike.

Thats ok bro.. if you cant take the piss out of family :rolleyes: life would be boring :biggrin:

we get one or two crappy days, then back to great detecting weather.. 

Hopefully there may be some sunbakers for everyone over here..

hey Northeast

if they are camped out from a town or mine site, they wont have phone coverage.

• Like 2

Been planning on a few days detecting this week. Worked my but off doing extra work in my business and at home so I didn't feel guilty heading off for a few days. Checked the weather and it looks like the area im going to is going to have up to 20mm of rain. It's a  6-hour return trip so a little annoying if I don't get a reasonable amount of time detecting in. Anyway, it's 2 weeks since my last swing and im keen to get back and see if the area has any more surprises waiting, so I'm going anyway.

Not too bothered by wet ground but i hope there's no bad EMI which makes running the 18" a pain. I'll take a few plastic bags to cover the control box and keep detecting if it's only light rain. Worse case scenario I don't get a lot of detecting in but I can always walk for miles and look for spots which look good for detecting and put them into the GPS for next time. 

• Like 1

Hey Jin.  Tuesday looks the worst but you'll be right.  Best of luck to you.  Hopefully we'll get to see another yellow haul like the last lot you put up   :wink:

• Like 2

21grs from about 5kg of rock sample with no signals or visible gold, hope the rest is like this:smile:

iNvB5k4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thats awesome mad fish. You may need to try a Falcon MD 20 if you are getting no signals on the stone from detectors. The Falcon is in its element on that kind of stuff. Cant have you throwing away stone like that due to no signals....Did you try the Gold Monster or a Gold Bug 2 on the stone?

Good luck out there

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By DDancer
      This year, 2018, I'm working thru the year to pay up on last years not so great stab at a golden prospects in Australia last year, 2017.  It was a great trip, always is, but a lot of little factors kept me gold poor *which I use to pay for food, fuel and amenities* so I leaned on the credit card a little to hard.  Hahh!  No one ever said I'd get rich but ehh~ One can dream by the camp fire.~~  Another driving factor for this post is that my email does not like to send pictures so this is for you all who have asked "Where are the pictures?" when I tried to send them.
      Well that aside Its Always A Good Go down under.  I stayed mostly in the region of Kalgoorie last year, hard hunted land that, so I could be of help and hang around with my mates in Coolgardie while they fixed up a new caravan and ute.  The gold was small and hard to come by but I still got a few ounces in littles from the EL's I applied for, and yes sent the reports in for, but in all here are a few good days on the scales :

And here are what most days went like.  I only had a few days streaches during the weeks out bush where I caught the skunk... but I entertained myself otherwise 😉

I did find one small meteorite but it chose to find the hole in my pocket instead of coming home with me.  Bugger.  But while I was out and about I decided to look for another mineral I knew occured in the region were I was and took a few days driving the fence lines to find it.  Chrysoprase.  Never did find the mine that my mate pointed me towards but I did find an area that had the right indicators, what is called white and blue chrysoprase and chalcedony, and on stopping there I took a couple of days to speck around.

I was finding mostly low grade stuff, the above picture, but found one good bit with just the tip sticking out like an iceberg:

Among other interesting rocks like this one, semi-crystalline quartz with some nice shiny bubbly limonite and from another area of flats a fulgerite, solidified lightning strike:

So my rock hounding itch was scratched 🙂
      Now camp is always a treat in the mornings and evenings but I also mentioned I kept myself entertained on days when I was not finding much.  Aside from just enjoying nature and walking Kays getting no where on the gold a few days of yabbie fishing made for a great reliefe after catching the skunk.  I visited various dams nearby and treated myself to a Yabbie feast on many evenings.

So all in all a great time, good eats and nice finds.  If you want to go my suggestion is : Make a Plan and stick to it.   You wont be dissapointed.  There were a great many other things that occured but like I said, a short story.
      Regards and go live the dream.  Next year who knows..... I'm thinking opal or sapphires myself with a little gold and yabbie.

Thanks for reading,
      DD

• By Edsped
      I’ve taken the equinox underwater with the Hungarian headphones twice now and I think I’ve experienced the best and worst scenario for the equinox.

Firstly I went into a popular rock pool which I’ve detected successfully with one of my Pulse Induction machines (ATX) with decent success although I did ok, I had to greatly reduce sensitivity and increase pulse delay for it to be stable but still it was enough to find about 60 coins and a few rings in this small pool HOWEVER, the equinox was very very unhappy in these conditions and struggled to signal when the coin was placed on the rocks which was 2- 3 inches on our 10c coins (which is very similar in size and conductive to a nickel and therefore general gold ring territory) but when detecting purely through salt water it was capable of 7-8” on the same coin (just estimating but it was MUCH more than over the rocks)
      I messed around with sensitivity, discrimination, different modes (was using beach 2), sweep speed, swing height, ground balancing with tracking on and off, recovery speed as well as testing to see if the test items would register in all metal (if they came up as iron) to no avail, I don’t know what kind of rock it is but detectors clearly don’t like it.
      Next outing was a sandy beach with sandstone rocks and clay base which the detector functioned adequately over.  I only used beach 2 and found recovery speed 4 is good because swing speed is slower under water so theoretically gives more depth, the sensitivity couldn’t really be run over 14 (I was 2m deep in salt water) at this location apparently but 10c targets were recoverable from 8” 
      The Hungarian headphones aren’t very loud underwater (even to my 24 year old ears) which seems to be a theme with the equinox so I believe it COULD be that the 3.7V lithium battery is insufficient to run these kind of Piezo’s but I’m far from an expert.
      Anyway, the nox went well and found some smaller than usual gold pieces 👍

Today’s treasure:

• By Steve Herschbach
      I like some of the creative photography experiments here with gold nuggets and more....
      https://www.instagram.com/goldsweeper/
    • By roddosnow
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFgzy3yZCA1FdeJcOEbOYMQ/videos
      Just thought i would post this up, i have been watching his clips for a while now, 
      He is the most prolific gold finder with the monster i have seen,
      certainly shows how good the monster is at pinging those specimens and tiny flakes.
      I have been loving the posts by Kiwijw & Phrunt who have been doing well with the monster in NZ but i haven't seen much of the monster in Australia and more in the more mineralised ground until i came across this guy.
      Cheers,  

• By idahogold
      First Class trip w/ my Mate' Tony!  Enjoy! Ig

• By phoenix
      I was going through my computer looking at different stuff that I had forgotten I had and I came across this shortcut to the archives of Gold Net Australia.   Gold Net Australia Online went from 1999 to 2002 and remarkably, it`s still there.  Probably not of great interest to people in the States, but if you enjoy reading about coil developement from 20 yrs ago, or accommodation, or a review of the GP Extreme,  or divining rods, or storys of big finds or just pictures of beaut nuggets, there might be something here of interest.
      http://www.gold-net.com.au/archives.html