Comparing Some Detectors In Trash & Hot Rocks

10 hours ago, D&P-OR said:

Steve-----I see you have the 10X5" Coiltek coil on your CTX.------Do you favor that coil over the Minelab 6" and if so, in what ways? (other than obvious increased ground coverage)

i have both and have found that the stock 6" round will punch a little deeper then the elliptical...at least it seems that way. If I had to get rid of one it  would be the elliptical simply because it is about ad heavy as the 11" and does not fold back well when setting the machine on the ground. The 6" round is a MUST HAVE coil for the CTX. 

Steve I'm a little confused first you said the CTX is not on the chopping block and then later you eluded that it may be? I would rather cut off a my left pinky finger then get rid of my CTX  :biggrin:

strick

• Like 2

Hi strick,

I doubt the CTX is going anywhere. It's just too good at what it does. My thinking flips between my desire to be realistic about what I really do day in and day out when metal detecting (prospecting for gold) and the things I enjoy but do not do as often because if I get the time, I go prospecting! Coin detecting parks for coins is one of those things that happens in my mind more than reality.

My problem is I actually hate owning "stuff". I am the anti-hoarder. So I get to thinking maybe I should just weed the collection down to those machines I use most often. Which I do periodically, and then I end up regretting it. Then I get the very same machine again, admittedly in the process wasting time and money. This is like my fourth V3i and second CTX and I have had quite a few Gold Bug Pro variants.

The good news is I am aware of all that and in no big rush to do anything at all. I still learn things going though the exercise. So when I say:

Less certain futures:

Minelab CTX 3030
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Nokta Impact
XP Deus

it simply reflects the fact that these are all top notch detectors that I would love to use more than I do. Yet I can only do so much and can only use one detector at a time. So I get frustrated seeing machines sit and my "clean out the closet" brain kicks in and I wonder if maybe I should not just get rid of them. Yet I do not need the money or space so why worry?

I could go in circles forever about it. I just want one detector that does everything, but when push comes to shove I hate not having "the best" on hand for whatever I might be doing. And that changes going from nugget patch to park to beach to burned down cabin. Which leads to more detectors. Which leads to too much "stuff". Which makes me want to clean house.

Whatever. I don't claim to always make sense. :smile:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I thought i was bad with 23 detectors and 45 coils but that CM collection is outstanding and he has probably added a few more since that photo was taken.

1 minute ago, fredmason said:

I thought I was crazy when I had 5 detectors...I cannot stand owning things that don't get used...I do wish there existed ONE Perfect Detector.

wish in one hand..........................

fred

Sorry Fred but I am not selling it, Lol  :laugh:  :biggrin:  :wub:

John.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that photo Steve, I feel a lot better now. I spot a SD2000, SD2100 and a Sovereign with the rare 11" Coinsearch coil! I'd sell the rest :biggrin: Oh maybe keep the Tejon too 

• Like 1