Comparing Some Detectors In Trash & Hot Rocks

Well I saw shocking reports on youtube the GM 1000 is unusable in VIC,s Golden Triangle. Maybe you could use your Impact with a harness if it is so heavy.Also if you prefer the Gold Racer to the Impact then I must conclude your Nevada sites are not heavily mineralised. I have been using the Impact at full volume but thanks to your info I will now set it at 90% full volume. I read a old comment of yours about nails and gold, how in high mineralisation VLF,s can give a ferrous ID and tone in a discriminating mode for gold. So many detectorists may have passed over gold nuggets without digging them up. I am using the GEN mode or all metal mode with disc. setting on 01 on the Impact,so I don't think I have passed over a nugget that gave a low tone as I am not in a discriminator mode.I have been told I don't know how to use the Impact properly or don't even own one for saying I only follow the tones in assessing a target and disregard the ID numbers as they jump all over the place in the highly mineralised ground where I detect.It is great when I can get backup and confirmation from you about these important issues.Thankfully this was on another US forum not yours.I think your forum is unique as it concentrates partly in gold prospecting and I find I am constantly drawn to your forum.Keep up the fantastic work and your heavy work rate as administrator; I know it must be very demanding.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2017 at 4:49 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I can console myself with the fact that I am nowhere near, not even in the ballpark, of some detector collectors. Here is a photo Carl Moreland posted of his collection back in 2008. Thanks Carl, I feel better now....

carl-moreland-detector-collection-2008.jpg

Thanks for showing that old post Steve !!!!!!!! Will copy photo , frame it and give it to my wife . I may mention to her never complain again at my prospecting purchases . I hope I'm in for some trouble free shopping .

Cheers

goldrat

• Like 2

I don't think anyone in their right mind would use a VLF/LF machine in hot ground like in the GT, and if they did they would have to reduce the Gain, ML already made machines to deal with that kind of dirt, even people who have never been there have heard about the GT.

Why people are asking or start complaining about the GM 1000 working in the GT is beyond me, 99% of people already know the answer, that's like entering a Dump Truck in the Indy 500.

J.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:56 PM, Mike Dawson said:

Well I saw shocking reports on youtube the GM 1000 is unusable in VIC,s Golden Triangle. Maybe you could use your Impact with a harness if it is so heavy.Also if you prefer the Gold Racer to the Impact then I must conclude your Nevada sites are not heavily mineralised.

And to quote myself "I will finish up again by pointing out I am not trying to prove anything to anybody". My posting my thoughts about detectors is not an attack on other people or their choice of detectors.

Why would I, a person who has a Gold Monster, care what anyone else thinks about it? I have one and can make my own decisions about whether it serves my own purposes or not. I am certain the same holds true for you and if the Impact is the machine for you and what you do, I would never think to argue with you about your choice in that matter. I could use a harness with the Impact, but in all honesty it's not that heavy. Yet why would I choose to use a heavier machine with a harness when a lighter machine will serve my purposes just as well?

The ground I hunt varies, and there is some ground here in California every bit as bad or worse than anything I saw in my month around Meekatharra. When I run into bad ground I do not use a Gold Monster, or a Gold Racer, or the Impact. I use my GPZ 7000 or in rare circumstances my Garrett ATX. Most ground here is much milder however and some so much so it can almost be called non-mineralized -  VLF detectors work well in that sort of ground.

The whole point of the post is that I should sort out what is best for me and you should sort out what is best for you. There is no reason at all why we should have to agree on our respective choices. I post and walk through my rationale for my decisions in case my thoughts may prove helpful to somebody. That's all it is, nothing more. In no way should my choices in detectors be taken as a criticism of any other person's choice in a detector. The Impact is an excellent detector and quite capable of getting the job done for you.

Nokta Impact Threads On This Forum

• Like 1

AMEN to that,

theres nothing wrong with any of the machines, and it only has to please one person, Approval is nice but it won't make it work any better, The detecting world of VLF's is in limbo at present and has been for a few years, hitting it's peak in the early 2000's and all we have seen is variants thereof, too close to call but the hardest part is picking one over the other, I am in no rush to buy another VLF until they break new ground, The GM is impressive because they removed all the junk and served up prime rump without the bones. all in all it is a serious VLF/LF.

J.

The Gold Monster has its flaws also. I don't think I ever acted more aggressively to downplay expectations in a new detector but people really do read into things what they want to hear. Those wanting it to be the best thing since sliced bread overlook the comments about weaknesses, and those determined to dislike it find evidence to support that opinion also. All without ever laying hands on one! Those who get overly excited get disappointed, and those who say something is worthless get proven wrong. Over and over it goes with every new machine that hits the market.

My very first posts on the Gold Monster mention the non-adjustable rod, the fact the lower rod can loosen up and spin, lack of 12V cigarette style charger plug, coil sensitivity, 1/8" headphone jack, lack of threshold, and the fact that both higher and lower frequency machines might outperform it, to name a few. Yet nobody remembers any of that if they are looking to like the machine. There are good points also, but those looking to not like the machine ignore those. The wonderful world of confirmation bias!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The Gold Monster has its flaws also. I don't think I ever acted more aggressively to downplay expectations in a new detector but people really do read into things what they want to hear. Those wanting it to be the best thing since sliced bread overlook the comments about weaknesses, and those determined to dislike it find evidence to support that opinion also. All without ever laying hands on one! Those who get overly excited get disappointed, and those who say something is worthless get proven wrong. Over and over it goes with every new machine that hits the market.

Absolutely, as of yet the perfect detector has not been invented, How ever there are many that will put a smile on an old face. Most people would benefit more by going over the machine they have with a fine toothed comb and learning every thing about it including exploiting every coil made for it, Coils are not just for sifting through the junk, they do much more than that and they effect settings due to ground condition and target response and target location and much much more, 90% of users  expect an out of the box all seeing eye when what they really need is to learn the machines they have to extremes and only then will they know if they need another machine or not,

A VLF and an LF and a PI and maybe a water machine will cover 99.9% of peoples needs some might feel the need for the ZED, But on the whole that is all that is required,

I have got to the point in my detecting where I almost know the machines I have, but new locations and swapping coils can mess that up and it's time to learn all over again, There are too many variables in detecting to create the perfect machine, tighter discrimination and better ground rejection is the way ahead, We can add the extra depth just by swapping coils but it would be nice if we saw some lighter larger coils because many of the newer machines tend to be noes heavy once a larger coil is fitted.

John.

On August 14, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

So when I say:

Less certain futures:

Minelab CTX 3030
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Nokta Impact
XP Deus

it simply reflects the fact that these are all top notch detectors that I would love to use more than I do. Yet I can only do so much and can only use one detector at a time. So I get frustrated seeing machines sit and my "clean out the closet" brain kicks in and I wonder if maybe I should not just get rid of them. Yet I do not need the money or space so why worry?

I could go in circles forever about it. I just want one detector that does everything, but when push comes to shove I hate not having "the best" on hand for whatever I might be doing. And that changes going from nugget patch to park to beach to burned down cabin. Which leads to more detectors. Which leads to too much "stuff". Which makes me want to clean house.

Whatever. I don't claim to always make sense. :smile:

No this all makes perfect sense to me...The GM 1000 can replace the GB2 and the Deus for gold prospecting. However  the CTX and Impact are coin/relic machines... therefore for them to be on the chopping block...especially the beloved CTX   me thinks you know something we don't....Cant wait till September 

strick

Hi Steve.

I really enjoyed reading your test results and your comments and opinions as to the whys and wherefores for each detector. in your arsenal. Very well done thank you.  You included enough dis-claimers to make it abundantly clear that these were only your opinions and we could draw from them what we wished.  Keep up the good work, I really respect the time and effort you put into everything you post , they are all informative and so helpful. As far as I am concerned in the Detecting world, you are up there with the best, for knowledge, experience and the ability, or should I say gift to express yourself in an easy to understand manner. I like the way you don't beat around the bush, with you a spade is a spade and a shovel is a shovel. And your love off detecting and detectors is so apparent to us all, when you open your heart and mind, and share it all with us.  Keep up the good work.

Cheers Trev ( New Zealand)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2