Garrett Carrot Quit Working

15 hours ago, strick said:

I would not be without my Garret carrot. I had one go bad already but as much as I use them they are without a doubt the best pin pointer i've tried so far.

13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Count me as a Garrett Carrot fan also!

I was a big fan of the Carrot, but then mine went on the fritz.  I sent it in 10 days ago (under warranty) so hopefully returns as good-as-new.  In the meantime I bought a White's TRX, which is about $20 more expensive.  It compensates (somewhat) on the price difference by operating more cheaply (if you go the non-rechargaeable route, anyway) on two AA's.  It will also work on a 9V, like the Carrot, but why would you want to except in a pinch?  When the carrot comes back I'll do some side-by-side comparisons.  But I've gotten used to the TRX and really like it.

• Like 6

Thanks for the tip. The button is what always seems to be the problem with the Garrett's.... I'll try a TRX on the next purchase. 

strick

20 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

If the TRX is waterproof...

It's advertised as such.  I'm going to find out for sure today because it's going to get dunked in the creek!  And if it finds me some gold you (and everyone else on this site) will hear me shouting, even those in Australia & NZ.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have both the Garrett AT Pro-Pointer and the White's TRX. As far as I am concerned they both are good pinpointers and get the job done. However, I will be selling the TRX soon.

Many times I find certain metal detectors to be near enough in performance that it is the other things that end up making the difference. In this case it is a real simple difference. I never use pinpointers in audio mode. I often have headphones on and can't hear them anyway. I also do not like making a noise that might attract attention if I am in a park or on a beach. So the first thing I do with a pinpointer is put them in vibrate mode. This eliminates audio only models.

I also want to be able to run the pinpointer with one hand. This eliminates units that need to be held with one hand while pushing a button on the end or elsewhere.

Waterproof is good. This eliminates non-waterproof models.

So far so good with both AT and TRX. Now the basic difference.

I reach into my pouch and grab the AT, and turn it on using my thumb on the side mounted control button. The unit is silent, but I feel a "thump-thump" that tells me the unit just activated. When it is time to put the pinpointer away, I hold the button again and when it makes one "thump" I know it has turned off. No sound, and I can do all this and never look at the pinpointer.

Compared to.....

I reach into my pouch and grab the TRX, and turn it on using my thumb on the side mounted control button. The TRX goes "thump, thump-thump" to alert me it is activated. However, even though it is in "silent mode" it also goes "chirp, chirp-chirp". White's silenced the speaker when actually pinpointing something but left the audio on for control alerts even while in "silent mode".

OK, I can live with that. But when I hold the button to shut the unit off, all it does is make an audio chirp. I can't tell if it has deactivated unless I look to make sure the LED light went out.

It is a tiny thing but it is these tiny things that sometimes matter. Bottom line is I find the Garrett to be operationally more efficient for me due to this one little design difference.

For others the fact that the TRX can use AA batteries and other differences (more reliable?) could certainly make the TRX the better choice for others.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have both the Garrett AT Pro-Pointer and the White's TRX. As far as I am concerned they both are good pinpointers and get the job done. However, I will be selling the TRX soon.

Many times I find certain metal detectors to be near enough in performance that it is the other things that end up making the difference. In this case it is a real simple difference. I never use pinpointers in audio mode.

I'm just the opposite -- I never use the vibrate (and keep it turned off -- saves battery).  But I understand your preference & choice.

UPDATE:  I did get the Carrot back from repair.  Interestingly it looks like a new unit but I think, among other things, they replaced the housing.  Anyway, it works like new, which is what I wanted.  I still will be writing up a side-by-side review here, soon.  However I've decided to only review them for the settings I use.  So this 'feature' (TRX sound at turn-on and turn-off, even when programmed in vibrate) would have completely passed me by.

• Like 1