I really enjoy this site. This discussion board has been very helpful with this new found hobby of mine. I played around with metal detectors briefly back in the 80's when my dad was into looking for relics around old home sites. However back then I was a lot younger and I preferred chasing critters that were able to run or swim away from me. So for the past 30 years my primary interests have been fishing and hunting and I have not picked up a metal detector since I was a kid hanging out with my dad.

I have my wife to thank for giving me gold fever. I have no interest in panning or sluicing for gold. So whenever she would go out panning and sluicing, I went fishing. One day I was helping her look for tiny microscopic pieces of gold that she was recovering from a 5 gallon bucket of dirt she had trucked all the way back from Sonora. Along with the dirt she had also brought back a Garrett metal detector brochure with a picture of an ATX on the cover of it. The rugged look of the ATX got my attention right away and I decided that metal detecting for gold would be a great way for us to spend some time together. I bought her a AT gold and I got the ATX.

As soon as I got the ATX in my hands I decided to try it out on my property. I turned it on and walked out to the dirt, started sweeping....and about got my ear drums blown out! The ATX was sounding off like a full symphony orchestra due to all the trash in the ground. This was when I decided that I had better read up a little more on the subject of metal detecting. I quickly learned the differences between a PI detector and a VLF detector. Being the stubborn type I carried on with the ATX for a while and started hunting the parks and a few old home sites. The day soon came when I decided that I dug enough old rusty pipes and bottle caps that were 3 feet deep. I went out and bought a ctx 3030 and life got much easier!

About 6 months have went by since I bought my first detector and Lisa and I own a total of 5 detectors. The line up consists of AT Gold, SDC 2300, CTX 3030, and two XP Deus's. We have been having so much fun digging up old coins and artifacts. But we have not had much time to go searching for gold. Last weekend I had the opportunity to meet some very nice folks at Rye Patch. Gerry from "Gerry's Detectors" had a three day training session on a private claim. There were 11 of us there not counting Gerry and his helpers. I was using the SDC 2300. There was one Fisher Gold bug, two ATX's and 7 GPX 5000's

I had to leave by noon on Sunday so I could get back to work in California so I dont know what happened after I left but the nugget count at my departure was SDC 2300 - 11 nuggets, Fisher Gold Bug - 1 nugget, ATX's - 0 nuggets and GPX 5000's - 0 nuggets. I am very happy with my machine. This was my first time in an actual known nugget producing area and since I know absolutly nothing about about gold or how to find it, it may be some time before I get to post nugget photos again! Once I learned the language of my machine it seemed that I was digging one nugget after another....this is VERY ADDICTIVE. Thanks to Gerry, Lunk, Ron, Spencer, Largo and a few other fellas that I cannot remember their names.

strick

post-351-0-16193500-1416067914_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-15822300-1416067934_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks fellas the SDC is so user friendly even a cave man can do it.  I cant wait to get back out again. Keep the coil to the soil !

strick

It was great meeting you Strick, and a pleasure to watch you do so well with your new gold machine; congrats again buddy!

• 4 years later...

That seems like a long time ago but it really wasn't. The hobby is so addicting....you wake up and say to yourself...relic? gold? beach? or park today? My wife still uses the 2300 it's her favorite gold machine.

strick 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By CVISChris
      The targets were scarce but crazy good today.  Two more firsts for me and a cast wreath which is number two for this site.  I have been detecting for many years and have never found a site like this. Gold coin number 2!!   Holy smokes.  

• By GoldTree
      I nabbed a pretty neat find the other day and I think it was sunbaker...
      Is it only a sunbaker if you saw it before you disturbed it or is it still a sunbaker if the rock that it's lodged in tells a sunbaker tale? Every dirt dog can tell what half of a float rock was in the ground and what half was face up. 
      This is a rock with a nugget lodged in it that tells one of those sunbaker tales. 
      Is it a sunbaker?
      -OR-
      Was it a sunbaker?
      -...OR-
      Is it not a sunbaker?

It's wedged in there really good! I haven't tried to yank it out because it's so unique as a sort of specimen of a bedrock nugget trap. I've picked at it and got no movement, plus it survived getting tossed around in my pack on my hike.
      An interesting find too! One of those days, patch hunting a new area (this new area hasn't met the three nugget threshold). All I had in my pocket was trash and my nug jug only held my test nugget. But lo, another signal! Few and far between, they are out here. Giving the spot a boot scrape moves my target. Probably surface trash, a bullet. Gotta know. These 4 rocks. These 3. These 2. That one... it's not a hot rock? Turned in hand to reveal a little smooshie stuck in a crack! WHOA!!!
      My strongest theory is that this "specimen" is a remnant of the bedrock that trapped some gold, all the bedrock having been eroded away. The gold since washed down the hillside and into the main drainage, perhaps all the way into the basin... But hopefully it has only travelled just past where I stopped detecting for the day and I get a whopper bonanza another day! 😂 Yeah right.
    • By rob baum
      I bought a house in meadview about 4 years ago.  Every couple months when I go there I try to get over to gold basin to do some detecting or drywashing.  It took me a couple years to find my first nugget out there and its been a couple of years since then and I havent found another.  I swing an SDC and I've read people have done pretty good out there with that model.  I find plenty of lead and boot tacks a inch or two down but not much deeper than that.   What settings are people using out there?  How deep down are people finding the gold?  Would I be better off with a  different model that can go deeper?  I'm not very confident in my abilities since I learned this machine on my own and have only found 2 pieces in the 4 years and dozens of times I've used it.  Any advice would be appreciated. 
    • By 1515Art
      I made it out to Gold Basin for a couple days of hunting until a high wind advisory chased me out on Saturday with a wind gust forecast of it hitting 50mph in the Arizona desert on high ground. The wind started to pick up around 7pm by morning it was buffeting the trailer pretty good. I picked up camp and found a spot protected enough from the wind I could unlatch and drop the top on my a-frame without a strong gust hitting at the wrong time ripping off the roof. Luckily all went without incident and the drive home was uneventful. 

the couple pieces I picked up were found on a low bench above the wash at the beginning of the transition from the hillside the larger specimen 19.8g total (tested around 1.5g gold) down about 8” gave a soft deeper mellow high-low, the small piece at .3g with a bit of quartz attached a similar signal down a few inches. 

the little meteorite also in the same area and down a few inches hit really hard on the GPZ, a small window shows a high concentration of Iron nickel specks.

• By Condor
      I packed up the girlfriend, 5th wheel, RZR and 2 GoldenDoodles and GPZ 7000 for a long weekend of detecting with another Forum member.  We've been exploring a gold area off the beaten path for several weeks, finding the odd sub-gram pieces here and there.  The area has very little placer history, mostly load gold from back in the 30's.  After studying the maps we were determined to keep pushing west, hitting as many little feeder gulches as possible hoping to find a hot spot.
      Day 1:  I found 2 small pieces after a lot of walking.  Fellow Forum member found nothing but skunk.
      Day 2:  We decided to abandon our original plan and go back to an area near an old lode gold mine.  I found the skunk, friend found 2 pieces for about 1 gram total.
      Day 3:  Back to the plan, keep pushing west through a series of small gullies.  I hit an area of shallow bedrock for 6 small nuggets.  I get back to the RZR and my friend has that grin and tells me he thinks he found an area worth exploring.  He then pops a 3/4 oz nugget in my hand.  He says "oh, I also found these in the same area, 5.5 grams of chunky nuggets.   Like a lot of fellow prospectors, I'm just as happy when someone, anyone finds some decent gold on a joint excursion.  Sweet, what a day.  He points out the landmarks and gives me a general description of the area because he has to return home to grade college exams.  
      Day 4:  I head back out to the area he described.  I spent close to 2 hrs scouting and had about given up finding the zone he described when I saw a fresh dig.  I worked up the gully and saw several more fresh digs, being that we are the only prospectors within 50 miles, I start the search in earnest.  I'm confident he has covered the gully, so I start detecting the flanks and hillside.  I immediately find the 2 small pieces in the photo.  Small in this context is relative to the big nugget next to them, they are by no means small considering my past month of detecting finds.   I expanded out from there and get a faint whisper of a target in the flats between 2 gullies.  I dig for a solid 20 minutes in hardpacked gravel and caliche.  I had to summon a couple friends nearby to come help.  We took turns digging, making sure not to hit the nugget.  We busted out 2 big rocks cemented in the caliche and finally the target was screaming at sensitivity of 1.  Down to a dental pick and a pinpointer to pick around in the caliche and not damage the nugget.  Probably close to 45 minutes and a hole about 2ft wide and 18 inches down before Eureka.  There she is.  
      Days/weekends like this are pretty rare these days.  We need one every now and then to keep the fire going and keep pushing that coil.  

• By Rob Allison
      Hello All,
         Here we are again, a partner and I placering a dry creek bed.  The process of placering is to remove all the overburden (rocks, gravel) and process or work the paypayer/bedrock.  We are doing that by using rakes, shovels, crevice tools and then using metal detectors to scan the paylayer and bedrock for gold nuggets.  
      This process is back breaking hard work, but can be very rewarding in the right locations.  As you can see in this video, we hit a nice crevice that had a hidden beauty in it, a 3/4 ounce gold nugget.  The nugget was wedged below the hardpack gravels and wedged in a bedrock crack.  
      In this video we were using the Minelab GPZ 7000 metal detector, Garrett AT Pinpointer and several hand tools, including "Two Toes" nice crevice tool he shipped me.  We have gotten a ton of use from this tool, very good on narrow bedrock cracks and holds up well.  Contact Gary for more information, or visit his "Two Toes Youtube Channel.  Thanks Gary!!
      Remember, the true treasure is the ability to get outdoors and enjoy your friendship with others that also enjoy this hobby.  
      God Bless,
      Rob