Curious About Fisher Cz Series Detectors

On 1/6/2023 at 11:47 AM, Geotech said:

The CZ design is best thought of as a single-frequency (5kHz) detector with the ability to cancel salt. The 15kHz component is weak and not all that useful for detecting targets. I once proposed a variable frequency design that works the same way but the user can vary the primary frequency from a low of 2-3kHz up to the gold range, maybe 50kHz. At lower frequencies the user could turn on salt cancel. The idea got no interest.

I just noticed this post. I had always assumed that the CZs were an early version of multi-frequency, probably due to the ads at the time. Maybe it was something in the CZs ability to cancel salt that made the CZ20 work so well.

Regardless of whether it was multi or not, it was and still is an extremely deep machine on the wet sand. What many CZ beach hunters may not have noticed is that the target ID is only accurate to a certain depth which was good but not great. Beyond that depth, all non-ferrous metals ID as low tones(or mostly low tones). This was very aggravating to me at first but over time it became fairly easy to tell a non-ferrous low tone from a ferrous low tone and I started digging gold and silver at truly astounding depths for a VLF. This is why CZ technology is still very good even by today's standards. Unfortunately, a detector like this would not sell well compared to today's machines so it's understandable that the CZ series had to be abandoned. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

My personal favorite among the CZ’s was the CZ3D, one of the best coin hunting machines ever made! Rock solid machine, VERY DEEP, tough and dependable analog machine! The target ID was very accurate, easy to GB and great for working around areas others couldn’t due to EMI. Just be care not to work to close to another CZ! 

The only negative I have to say about the CZ3D, and this maybe true for all of them, it LOVED deep rusty nails.

I had to stop using it in my park when all that remained was targets over 10”.  Once I’d get a target that deep w the CZ, despite all my efforts, circling 360 degrees, whipping the coil ect. , there was no telling the difference between a deep rusty nail (especially a bent one!) and no fe target! 

HH! Aaron

14 hours ago, Aaron said:

My personal favorite among the CZ’s was the CZ3D, one of the best coin hunting machines ever made! Rock solid machine, VERY DEEP, tough and dependable analog machine! The target ID was very accurate, easy to GB and great for working around areas others couldn’t due to EMI. Just be care not to work to close to another CZ! 

The only negative I have to say about the CZ3D, and this maybe true for all of them, it LOVED deep rusty nails.

I had to stop using it in my park when all that remained was targets over 10”.  Once I’d get a target that deep w the CZ, despite all my efforts, circling 360 degrees, whipping the coil ect. , there was no telling the difference between a deep rusty nail (especially a bent one!) and no fe target! 

HH! Aaron

I feel the high point of the CZ3D was that nickel range gave a high tone. Opened up the ability to cherry pick and still have a bit of the gold ring range in play also. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aaron said:

whipping the coil ect

In my time with the CZ I think that is not the way to go. Very slow sweep over the target and listen to the edges ferrets out the iron much better.

23 hours ago, Aaron said:

HH! Aaron

I had the same complaint with the CZ20. It was useless around most iron, on land and at the beach. Away from iron, it was great.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm very interested in one day getting an anolog machine, I just started detecting in april 2023 with the simplex then a month or two later got a legend

Ive seen a youtuber using the fisher cz21 at the beach and it piqued my interest since my dealer has one in stock

I asked the youtuber about it and he said it was his favorite salt watera machine, even today

I am not near salt water but I struggle with the legend at the fresh water beach even, so I wonders if I would do better with the fisher

What I'm not into is the price point, its $2000 CAD for the cz21 at my dealers shop

I dont know if I can justify dropping 2k on a machine that old, in fact I'm saving up $1600 to get a deus one with 2 coils, that I can justify

But if Santa brought me a fisher cz21 I would totally use it a lot

Im a little disappointed this thread said it sucks in iron, I didnt previously know that

And I wonder how it would do in our canadian steel core change here, a low tone no doubt, I wonder about our nickel.change, high tone maybe

On 12/3/2023 at 12:49 PM, Desert Dawg said:

I was so hopeful of that CZX nugget vlf detector Dave J was working on, perhaps Carl can bring it to market one day. a multi freq vlf nugget detector is long overdue to the market.

yes, at the moment the multi frequency general purpose machines are putting most if not all single frequency nugget machines to shame, the only exception is the extreme sensitivity of the Gold Bug 2 and its awesome little concentric coil but even then, its usage is very limited compared to the multi freakers.

• Like 1