SDC Does It Again

Condor

I went out to a new old spot from last year. I had taken a few pickers off an old bench with shallow bedrock using the Gold Bug II. The overburden is 8 to 10 inches with decomposing schist bedrock. The bedrock was almost too hot for the GBII, hard to separate the tones. I had raked down the overburden and went over it with the GPX 4000 with 16 inch NF round mono, no joy. I went back yesterday with the SDC and immediately got a faint tone. The bigger of the nuggets was right in that decomposed bedrock. With no more signals, I again pulled down the overburden as best I could with my short handled pick. Got another faint tone 8 inches from the first nugget. I opened up the hole and the signal just wouldn't improve. I kept opening the hole thinking the target must be in the side of the hole. Still no luck and the target just wouldn't improve. In frustration I used the pick to bust up the bedrock and pulled the whole mess out. Bang, now the target was blowing my ears off in the dig pile. That was the long looking nugget. I waved over the hole and got another faint tone. Same issue, I couldn't get the tone to improve until I got it out of the hole. My assumption is that the hot bedrock is somehow diffusing the quality of the signal, even when I'm right on the target. Once out of the hole, they sounded off like the quality of nuggets they are. 3.5 grams total. They must be fairly porous, awfully light for their overall size.post-95-0-71906600-1416080422_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The SDC is really killing it. Seems like everyone that gets one is immediately posting gold finds on the first outing. I think that is mainly due to the cost. Lots of experienced guys willing to spend the bucks, not too many newbies. If you know your stuff and know a decent location the SDC is almost sure to find gold left behind, no matter what detectors were used before. I think the only place it will fail is low mineral ground where the Gold Bug 2 users have already crumbed it to death. Look for high mineral locations, that is the key. The worse, the better.